NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Steven

Default CJ's - Do you collect either years or both?

I started on my dream set of 1915 Cracker Jack nearly 2 years ago and have made modest progress, but still lacking one of the big 5. I then decided I wanted a single 1914 in my set, any card, just for the twist and add a type...and added a 1914 Mcgraw. Now, I think I could care less if it were a 14 or 1915 as long as I need it.
I definitely cannot ever do a master set as that '14 matty is too much $$$ and maybe my favorite card of all-time, but one day maybe try to get an extended set in the aspect of one of every player, not pose, after I finish my 176 card project ie chance, etc. Does anyone else mix and match the years? Is there a master set guy out there? Is it really Barry, Rich, Marty, Mac and myself that mainly interested in this gorgeous display of cardboard? If you are not inhto the CJs I would love to hear why not.

Last edited by rainier2004; 12-26-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:48 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default CJ's

I don't collect them. Initially I just didn't like the "mostly red" background. I do have one a "Comisky". The other sets that don't apeal to me are most B&W sets. Also I'm not a fan of blank backed issues. But I suppose most are like me and just collect what they like. I'm curious what other sets do you collect? Aloha, dave.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Matt

Default CJ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Initially I just didn't like the "mostly red" background.
This is what I've always loved about the set. That red background is beautiful and rich when the cards are in nice shape. Unfortunately, I only have a '14 Schalk, but would like more in the future. I also like the fact that there's a lot of 'action' shots as opposed to all the portraits in the t205 and m116 sets.

Matt
Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
I also like the fact that there's a lot of 'action' shots as opposed to all the portraits in the t205 and m116 sets.
Makes the 1914 Matty so great...
Old 12-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Rob G.

I love the CJs! I collect the 1914s cuz they all came out of CJ boxes (except for that one pristine find) whereas the 1915s were able to get from the mail. But the 1915s are just as beautiful!

I've picked up around 35 of them over the past few years so right around 25% done but they've stayed high in price so I don't pick them up too often.

Good luck with your collection! One of my favs ...

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 094_Cicotte_front.JPG (15.3 KB, 370 views)
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Barry

Well the 1914's have been a passion of mine for the past several years and I am still trying to complete the set. It has been a wonderful journey. I am presently 120 cards into the 1914 set, so only have 24 to go.

Rob, that Cicotte has wonderful eye appeal; I am very jealous.

Thanks Steve for beginning this thread and putting the CJ's back on the "map".

I would love to hear from anyone who might have any CJ's that they are willing to sell or trade.

Barry
Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Frank Wakefield

Both. I occasionally pick one up. I've sold a few, given a few away. They aren't a major focus for me. For me, either would be a difficult set to complete.

They are interesting little cards. It's interesting to feel the difference in paper thickness between the two. And they're such a neat piece of card history.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Brian T.

Since you asked the "why don't you" question...

I love the appearance of CJs, but they are just too common for my taste. It is a personal thing and I certainly don't begrudge anyone for collecting them - because they are very cool for a number of reasons. I've just decided to have a more "truly scarce" slant to my collection.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Steven

At the moment Im enthralled with the look of 292s but do own a 1. Im trying for the fan craze, n28s, 1922 e120s, 2nd set of 34 goudey, 40 play ball and 1 rookie clemente shy of my 53-56 topps run. I just started the t200s with a Det card. Not really watching the e120s and 1940 PBs cause of money issues though. I tend to not favor blank backs either. But no matter what set I get into or come back to, CJs seem to always be my favorite. I thought I was going to start a t205 set but bought some cjs...thought i was going to start a t202 set but bought a beautiful cj tinker.