NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2020, 01:41 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default 1933 Goudey SGC? Bleed Through? Different Day?

So in the most recent REA auction a SGC 8 1933 Goudey Dave Harris went for $1,170 (including BP). Last night a PSA 8 1933 Goudey Dave Harris went for $10,500. Seems like an extreme price difference. The SGC obviously has prominent bleed-through, but is that so disqualifying? Anybody have a different theory?

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1607718850
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1607718875
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1607718974
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1607718987
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1933GoudeyHarrisSGC4767REAFront.jpg (75.6 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg a1933GoudeyHarrisSGC4767REABack.jpg (76.7 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg a1933GoudeyHarris2018HeritageFront.jpg (59.3 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg a1933GoudeyHarris2018HeritagebACK.jpg (62.2 KB, 344 views)
Old 12-11-2020, 01:45 PM

So as not to confuse anyone, the excess red is wet sheet transfer from either the card/sheet stacked under it or from a transfer roller, the ink does not bleed thru the stock.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:58 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
So as not to confuse anyone, the excess red is wet sheet transfer from either the card/sheet stacked under it or from a transfer roller, the ink does not bleed thru the stock.
What he said! Thank you for the timely correction.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:15 PM
David M.

It could just be the fact that one is in an SGC holder and the other in a PSA. I had a buddy that collected the 1933 Goudey set and wanted every card to be in a PSA 6 holder. He wouldn't accept a PSA 5 or a PSA 7. It had to be a PSA 6. He would buy SGC cards and attempt to cross them as PSA 6's. Some crossed, some didn't. If a collector is doing something like that for PSA 8, they may be willing to pay a premium to avoid the hassle. Don't know for sure, but it's possible that's the reason.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:19 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
It could just be the fact that one is in an SGC holder and the other in a PSA. I had a buddy that collected the 1933 Goudey set and wanted every card to be in a PSA 6 holder. He wouldn't accept a PSA 5 or a PSA 7. It had to be a PSA 6. He would buy SGC cards and attempt to cross them as PSA 6's. Some crossed, some didn't. If a collector is doing something like that for PSA 8, they may be willing to pay a premium to avoid the hassle. Don't know for sure, but it's possible that's the reason.
That was my first thought as well. Could have been two people trying to put together a high grade Registry set in a bidding war.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:20 PM
Robert Williams

SGC cards just DO NO bring the money PSA does. Plain and simple.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Well certainly a few factors at play:
-It's a common practice to not properly call this a WST as it should be as mentioned above
-You're looking at a card that has a POP of 10 in the PSA report and 2 in SGC with none higher
-PSA typically gets much higher prices I've heard
-More registry set builders in PSA holders
-If you're putting together a PSA 8 registry set you want high eye appeal cards
-Extremely popular set to put together with a lot of money in the higher end
-A wildcard could be a descendent or something unique like that
-Someone likely had to have the PSA one at any cost, literally. Often, that's all it takes. The buyer wasn't going to lose it for any price based on some of the factors above. I'm sure the buyer would have had absolutely no issue bidding 20-30k if that's what it took.

Is any Dave Harris card worth 10k+? Meh, I guess to at least one person it is and another thought it was worth about the same.

I think WSTs are neat and tell a story of the process, but not at the high end grades for set builders.

Last edited by oldeboo; 12-11-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Although there’s truth to that, the variance in price on this one is way out of proportion
Old 12-11-2020, 02:38 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeboo View Post
Well certainly a few factors at play:
-It's a common practice to not properly call this a WST as it should be as mentioned above
-You're looking at a card that has a POP of 10 in the PSA report and 2 in SGC with none higher
-PSA typically gets much higher prices I've heard
-More registry set builders in PSA holders
-If you're putting together a PSA 8 registry set you want high eye appeal cards
-Extremely popular set to put together with a lot of money in the higher end
-A wildcard could be a descendent or something unique like that
-Someone likely had to have the PSA one at any cost, literally. Often, that's all it takes. The buyer wasn't going to lose it for any price based on some of the factors above. I'm sure the buyer would have had absolutely no issue bidding 20-30k if that's what it took.

Is any Dave Harris card worth 10k+? Meh, I guess to at least one person it is and another thought it was worth about the same.

I think WSTs are neat and tell a story of the process, but not at the high end grades for set builders.
The crazy thing is that at least one other person was interested in this card at one bid increment lower (or shilled the hell out of it)

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 12-11-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:52 PM
Jay Shumsky

The PSA vs SGC difference might make the most sense, but it's hard to believe there is that big a price difference. Here's another example where the 1952 Topps House Yellow Tiger variation went for way more in REA as a PSA 5.5 compared to an SGC 5 in Heritage, and the one in the PSA holder has a print line that goes across his face.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=72212
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

Last edited by jayshum; 12-11-2020 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 12-11-2020, 06:56 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Wow. $10k for a common player from a common set. Thank God I have no interest in playing in that sandbox.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:03 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I prefer SGC green labels for pre war over anything else. I feel those cards were graded in a more honest time. That being said, always buy the card not the holder.

Last edited by Casey2296; 12-11-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:55 PM
Doug Goodman

I find it entertaining that people who claim to collect baseball cards are talking about the type of plastic holder they can sometimes be found in and the relevance of that holder to the value of those baseball cards.

Doug "enjoy what you enjoy" Goodman
Old 12-13-2020, 05:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
+1
Old 12-13-2020, 05:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry registryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryre gistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregi stryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregist ryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistryregistry

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-13-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:48 PM
Jim B.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shining.jpg (7.3 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by BabyRuth; 12-13-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:58 AM
Robert Williams

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs.

Can we get back on topic as to why SGC doesn't bring the money PSA does?
Old 12-14-2020, 10:44 AM
Steve Birmingham

They were doing that.

It's entirely about the registry and how it's created a perpetual "whose is bigger" contest. With the now sideline contest of "who is richer" which is sort of the same thing.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:15 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
+1

Gimme a break. A difference of 20% maybe. That does not explain this. To say that is a disservice to SGC.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:17 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Gimme a break. A difference of 20% maybe. That does not explain this. To say that is a disservice to SGC.
I have had SGC 9 commons barely bring $10. Their PSA counterparts routinely go for over $100.....sometimes $200. I have had it happen to me personally. Sorry, all grading companies ARE NOT created equal.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:46 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
I agree that the current market is skewed heavily toward PSA for now, and trust me, I do not think it is a knock on SGC, it's just a fact. That said, the wet sheet is a print defect in my mind, and a big one. It's a very good reason for a price correction of at least several 100%. Perhaps certainly not 900%, but things are only worth what they are to the bidders that day to me.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 12-14-2020 at 12:46 PM.