NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Mark

Default My Countdown To Completion - 60 Years Of Baseball Cards

I've seen some similar threads here and thought it might be fun to chime in.
I've been collecting since 1969 (born in 1962) and had a desire to complete every set back to when I was born by the time I was 50. I beat that goal last year and now have expanded it.

My next step is to have sixty years of card sets (one from every year) and I'm well on the way as you can see. I have completed all but four of the sets from 2012 - 1954

My countdown now comprises of

1961 - 24 cards
1959 - 241 cards
1958 - 493 cards (haven't started yet)
1957 - 108 cards

So, as you can see, I'm well on the way. Everything is in EX or better. I only do raw. I am hoping to finish the 1961 set by the end of the year and have most of the 1959 set done by then as well.

All I need now are the All-Star cards from the high series.

Once I finish with this goal I am flipping years instead of working backwards from recent to oldest. I want to have a set from every year back to 1941. When I'm done with the sets above I continue working on some Play Ball, MP&Co, Goudey, Bond Bread and Exhibits to start a run from 1941 up to 1953.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Good luck with the final four sets! I like how you put one example from each set on the spine of each binder. I could imagine sitting in that room, flipping through the pages in those binders, and going back in time. It's always cool to see collections like this.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Steve

You, sir, are a true collector of ocd proportions. Keep up the good work. I can see you at 106, hunched over one of your volumes of curious and forgotten arcana, working on completion of the T206 set.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Chad J.

That's amazing. I have a similar goal that I've just now started - any tips for someone just starting out in assembling sets? (I have all that I want from 1978-forward and want to start going backwards, as far as I can reasonably go)
Old 07-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Doug Goodman

Fantastic. Congrats on your collection. I am working on the exact some thing. Email me a list of the cards you are looking for, maybe I can help.

Take care,
Doug
Old 07-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcjsavannah View Post
That's amazing. I have a similar goal that I've just now started - any tips for someone just starting out in assembling sets? (I have all that I want from 1978-forward and want to start going backwards, as far as I can reasonably go)
What got me through was not getting too far over my head at any one time. Work on no more than a couple sets at a time.

I also made things a little easier and "goal achievable" by literally working a series at a time. When I start a set (like 1960, say) i work only on the first 88 cards. That way I usually only have a couple of high priced stars to worry about. When that series was done I went on to the next series. Kind of like the kids did back when the cards first came out.

It made a BIG difference whenever I could hit some smaller goal and then feel good about moving on.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Chad J.

Thanks for the good advice. When I was clearing through my closet and my current collection I saw about three or four unfinished projects as it is.. I think it'll be tough but I'm ready!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

very nice collection. I like how you've labeled the spines of the binders...just for my own curiosity - is that an actual card on the spine? Or did you print out a scan of a card?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdill2 View Post
very nice collection. I like how you've labeled the spines of the binders...just for my own curiosity - is that an actual card on the spine? Or did you print out a scan of a card?
From 1957 to today those are actual cards (duplicates of what's in the set. Each one has a Hall Of Famer or superstar player so I needed an extra card each year. I didn't duplicate a player in any year.

From 1956 backwards I use reprints or insert cards since the originals don't fit on the spine. I try and get one that doesn't have gold embossing or anything like that. As close to the original on the front as possible.

I know...the whole thing sounds OCD, but isn't that why we got into the hobby?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Al Richter

Default Collection

Doug---you're working on his collection ?

Darkhorse---an ambitious and worthy project and much progress.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Mike Dugan

Darkhorse- Well done! I always appreciate it when someone has their collection in a form that they can enjoy. Sad to say mine is currently a mess!!

Just ask my saintly wife????? I'd actually rather that you didn't at this time.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 AM
Steve

"I know...the whole thing sounds OCD, but isn't that why we got into the hobby?"

Darkhorse - Of course, you are right - we're all O-C to some extent, or we wouldn't be in the hobby. It's just that oc slobs like me envy the care and dedication that you obviously bring to the task.

Last edited by Volod; 07-24-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Carelessness
Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Richard A.

Man, that's awesome. I'd love to have a couple shelves in my 'office' just stacked with binders...pick any of the last 60 years of baseball and re-live it just like that.

As somebody who has exactly zero complete sets, to get from here to there seems like one daunting task (even in small steps)!

For those of you that have (or are building) huge runs of Topps sets, what's your stance on building a set vs. buying it? I have to think that in some cases, it's easier and cheaper just to buy a complete set. Am curious to hear people's opinions on either approach.

Again, awesome. Congrats & kudos to the many of you that have assembled such impressive runs of cards.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Steve

My feeling is that it would be difficult to enjoy and/or appreciate a large set that was purchased complete, as it would be simply an expensive possession sitting on a shelf. On the other hand, the essence of the collecting hobby is the care and dedication required to find individual cards, not to mention the satisfaction gained from making wise purchases and bargain hunting. As the sage observed, the reward is not as much in ownership as in the pursuit.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Mark

I would whole-heartedly agree with assembling a set individually. It gave me so much more satisfaction that way.

Usually I will buy a large grouping of commons from one dealer (usually at a show) to get a good rate and a good start and then begin the task of adding the missing cards. Going to a show and wandering around for an hour finding the best possible price for a 1961 Mickey Mantle is actually a lot of fun. You also learn to appreciate some of the common cards much more when they become a quest.

BTW. I took another step towards completing my 1961 set today. I got a Earl Battey All-Star card for my high numbers.

A few more are in the mail and on their way. I am down to 15 cards needed

568 Skowron AS
569 Herrera AS
571 Mazeroski AS
572 B Robinson AS
573 Boyer AS
575 Banks AS
576 Maris AS
577 Aaron AS
578 Mantle AS
579 Mays AS
580 Kaline AS
581 F Robinson AS
584 Perry AS
586 Ford AS
589 Spahn AS

Looking for bargains for them slows the search down, but once I do I'll have a complete run back to 1960.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Darkhorse...

What an incredible task/goal!

Currently I'm working on the '57 set....are you up for trades?

LMK via PM.

Andrew Miller
Old 10-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Mark

It took some time, but I have finally completed my 1961 set with the card below.

I am now on to trying to complete the 1959 set. I'll be hitting the November show in Chicago for that one. Wish me luck