NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-27-2012, 04:21 AM
Brian

Default Best set to get a newbie started with

Hello all. I just signed up and right off the bat let me say I'm flabergasted by the amount of information I was able to get by just looking at all the posts. You all are a treasure trove of knowledge and I thank you for that.

That being said I've really focused on the memorbillia side of things and my collection leans towards jerseys and some game used items. But lately I've wanted to come back into cards as well.

I'm looking for a good set to get started with. I'm looking for a set that's available enough and doesn't get too expensive at the same time. I'd like to focus pre 80s. Looking at the choices I was thinking of beginning with the 1963 Fleer set. Due to it being a rather small set to begin with a mix of stars and commons.

Would it be too ambitious to begining with a set of graded cards? I was thinking in the PSA 4-6 range to begin with or should I go with an ungraded set to begin with? Is the '63 Fleer a good set to start or are there others I should begin with?

Thanks for the time and I hope to meet some great people and listen to their advice. Take it from me that any help is greatly appreciated. I'm a blank book and am just chomping at the bit to get back into the game.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Mike

Default Welcome

Welcome to the boards. You will find this place to be a pleasant addiction.
A Slabbed set (any one) is an ambitious project. Depending on the depth of your pockets, it could keep you occupied for a good while.

The 63 Fleer set is do-able. The checklist and the Adcock could be bears to snag. There is also a Koufax that'll cost you about the same as a week's groceries for a family of 4

Really, it is difficult to steer you towards a certain set. You will get almost as many "different" suggestions as suggestions.. The 60 Topps set is fun. I like the 65 also. The 54 Topps is a great issue. I would say, unless you really are set on the 63 Fleer , to flop around the shallow end of the pool. Grab something from a few different sets and see when the "warm fuzzy feeling" hits ya. Good luck with your collecting.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Welcome aboard! Mike pretty much wrote the post I was gonna write, so I'll be brief. I think Fleer '63 is an excellent choice to get your feet wet: totally underated as far as looks and cost. Also, you don't have a pricey Mantle to contend with. Happy collecting!

However, I have to confess that I am not a set collector. In fact, I am just a few commons short of completeing 62T -- I pulled them from packs way back when I was a tadpole -- but personally I don't feel like laying out bucks for cards I have no connection to. I don't even know if I'm a type collector. I have no idea what I am in this regard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fleer_63_Mays.jpg (31.6 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by Paul S; 10-27-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Add image and make a confession
Old 10-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Ni,ck Miku.licich Jr

Default if you're looking for 1963 Fleer

I wouldn't look for graded in PSA 4-6 condition except for the top stars (major HOFers and Maury Wills) and SPs. Just get those raw.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Rich Klein

Default The other set I'd look at is

48 Bowman. Especially in the PSA 4-5 range that set should be both affordable and completable

Rich
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Brian

Thanks for all your help. I've decided to start with the '63 Fleer. Mainly due to it having some of my all time favorite's and the set isn't as big as some others. I plan to start small and after work up from there.

Once again, thanks for the help and I plan on sticking around giving updates on my progress and learning more from all of you. Also can't wait for next year's National as it's only 90 miles south of here and it'll be my first one.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Welcome to the boards and card collecting. Good choice on the 63 Fleer, a great set to start off with because of size and price. One of my favorite cards is in the set, the Clemente. Enjoy the ride!

Tags
beginner, newbie, starter