NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Worch Cigar project

I've decided to undertake research on this obscure and intriguing set from the 1930s. Hopefully I'll discover enough to produce a decent article for Old Cardboard, assuming Lyman is interested. I've already figured out some stuff about the dating -- clearly they were not all issued in 1933 as often assumed.

I've now looked at most of the previous posts that mention Worches so I know some of you (Jeff, Todd, Greg, this means U) have a decent number of them. Many others have only one or a few, but any and all info is still helpful, so please check in with whatever you have.

My first goal is to verify the existence (and get scans) of as many as possible cards from the checklist. So I would be really grateful if anyone and everyone could tell me which players you own (Majors and A.A.). Scans are always welcome, but that step can be left until later if you don't already have them scanned.

Any other info you have about the set I would love to hear about as well.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Here are a few of my faves:

worch 1.jpg
Old 07-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Default Wonderful news , Tim. Thanks in advance. Love your stuff.

....Getting the Stratton slabbed was a struggle , but evidently there is indeed some competence ( eventually ) down in the basement at PSA ; but you need to threaten to fly Lemke to California . Worked for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Default Here are the two known Glenn variations....

....it's going to rain so I'll go dig up some more ....
Old 07-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Jeff

Default My Faves

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 07-28-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Cool cards, my lone example-

Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

From my understanding I think Mack will be a very scarce one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ptuncworchmack.jpg (62.4 KB, 1936 views)
Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Jeff

Default Several More

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 07-28-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Jack Vernon

My only worch

Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Tony Quinn

Always love to see these. One of the best of the 1930's issues. Anyone know how the cards were distributed? Thanks to all for posting the scans.
PS - Scott that is an absolute knockout Gehrig! One of my favorite Gehrig cards of all time.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Todd Schultz

Sorry Tim, If you've read all the posts here, then you know what I know. I spilled pretty much everything I know (which wasn't much), and I only occasionally chase the Millers and Saints cards nowadays. Here are a couple of the old threads.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=worch

All I would add now is that I have seen about a dozen mailing envelopes that contained the pictures, and each one I have seen was mailed to a Minnesota resident save one that went to North Dakota (I don't have scans unfortunately). It would make sense that the company would advertise most heavily locally in Minnesota. I also own and have seen 3-4 examples of letterhead from Worch to at least one distributor in Ohio, but the message made no reference to the pictures. I have seen no letterhead or other advertising to suggest that the pictures went to tobacco distributors rather than to customers directly. I believe the general thinking is that customers sent in cigar bands in whatever quantities for the pictures, although I have never seen ads or other evidence promoting that method. I was never heavily into the set however, so my experience likely doesn't take you far.

I would also note that several on ebay from I believe John Rumierez are said to to be from 1932, and seller claims that these were previously called Wheaties cards but that a recent large find of them were found in Worch Envelopes. I have not delved into that since learning of it early this year, but OC backs this up. As you know, these are easily distinguished from the Worch's of subsequent years.

As mentioned in my earlier posts, the Worch-like pics were distributed in 1935 on a much more limited basis. All I have seen from this year were Mpls or St Paul players, leading me to wonder if they were either team issued or came from the newspapers whose credits appear on the card fronts (maybe as subscription awards).

Here are the only two big leaguers I have left (shown before)--I have a scan of a Dizzy Dean I sold to a board member, but will let him post it --and a couple of what I believe to be 1935s.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

PM or email me with any questions, and include your m101 scans
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 PM

Default Two of the Joe Hausers...probably more out there.

The Minneapolis ( and St. Paul ) newspapers' Sports Departments may have photo archives , and the local historians and memoirs collections may be a great place to spend several years.....
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 PM

Default Some were horizontals-- I love the Perrin shot.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Thanks all!

Hey guys,
these are great! Keep em coming, and as I mentioned, even if you don't have scans, I would like a list of your holdings--

Tim
Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 AM

My only example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rick Ferrell (PSA 5 MK).jpg (77.5 KB, 1222 views)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 PM

Default Some New York teams were well-represented

.......strange coincidence but I also have a PSA-Graded R314 1936 Goudey Wide Pen Ben Chapman also misspelled as ''Champman'' in the flip.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Default Hornsby

WorchHornsby.jpg
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default Babe Ganzel

Hello Tim, I first posted this awhile back on a thread about the most interesting Old Judge players. Foster "Babe" Ganzel, shown below, was the son of Charlie Ganzel (who can be found in the OJ set). Far more details can be found here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=170286

This is my lone Worch Cigar card (and envelope).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babe Ganzel Composite v2.jpg (41.0 KB, 1147 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM

Default Washington players , from a scrapbook

.....The usual bright white borders have taken on the slight amber hue of the scrapbook pages' color.....hence they're not graded.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 PM

Default Some more Washington scrapbook survivors

...sorry about the condition but it's neat that they've even survived....
Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default This is fun to see them all--

Mike, no need to apologize-- those are my kind of cards!

Keep em coming, everyone, and thanks! Hope to see many of you at the National.

Tim
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 AM

Default The voice of the prairie states : WCCO

...and who can ever forget the dulcet tones of Si Seymour , Sr.-......look in his left hand.....how's that for marketing and product placement ?
....Jerry Harrington did the same for Wheaties , who sponsored the Millers' and Saints' games ......
....I thought these were scarce and rare but it turns out that Leon has three of each...
Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 AM

Default Body doubles for William Bendix/Babe Ruth

....I don't remember Jimmy Dykes as being such a porky young feller....at first I thought these were the same player...... wait 'til you see my Homer Peel....
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Default Spotless Butch Henline and Pinholed Pinky Hargrave

...Tim , there's a gorgeous Homer Peel currently listed on Ebay ...several Worch offerings in fact , both current and '' completed ''...can you use those in your research , or is this forum more Tim-friendly ?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:04 PM

Default The scans

Old 08-01-2013, 05:11 PM

Default Evidently there exists another Ganzel variation

...I haven't seen the other Ganzel ; ..hope someone has one and can post a scan here..
Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 PM

Default Hall of Fame sluggers in the Worch Major Leagues

The PSA Population Report for the Worch cards is spread out over both their Major and Minor League sections ; they stick to ''1933'' no matter what the actual year of issue is , no matter what evidence you produce ; in their world as far as they're concerned the name of the set is ''1933 Worch''.

SGC attempts to be more precise and accurate .
Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 PM

Default ''Gill'' , just ''Gill''

...so it seems there is a different variation of Ernie Smith also out there somewhere , if you can trust the source used by the grader. I've not seen it ; we can hope some one can post a scan .
Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 PM

Default First names added to the label sometimes

....accuracy may be in question , though. I think the flip should just reflect what is on the card ; I am very very content and pleased with the ''Gill'' card.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Default Worch photo variations- B &W and also sepia ?

....evidently two types exist for the same player in some cases....in this example , one is the common glossy black and white , while the other has a sepia tone to it ? ; also I noticed that when you wobble the sepia-toned photo/card into a strong light there is a noticeable phosphorescent presence on the dark/black color only.....there are guys on this forum that know a lot about that stuff ;
.....and although the exact same photo was used , the ''cropping'' is different by a quarter inch ( look at where his elbow is in relation to the edge of the shot , and also note the amount of heel visible....)
...Tim , you are going to have sooooo much fun...
Old 08-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Has anyone ever seen Estil Crabtree from this set? He was my assistants uncle, and Worch is the only card of his that I haven't even seen, let alone been able to obtain.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 AM
Brad Green

Default Lefty Grove...

Two variations....

Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 AM
pete ullman

Guys...I live about 1/4 mile away from Midway ballpark...where the saints currently play. In a few years they will be moving to lowertown st paul...and while this will be a huge plus for DT St Paul...it will leave a major hole in my neighborhood!

I'm ecstatic to have this original collection of Worch saints from the 33' season in my collection. After cross referencing the 2 checklists I could find...I believe the otto bluege is uncatalogued...and coincidentally the collection came with one envelope with otto bluege written in pencil on the back.

Additionally all of the cards have numbers written on the back...and a few have remnants of baby ruth wrappers which I find super cool!

Check em out! Here are a few...wanna see more?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worch1fr141.jpg (76.0 KB, 1073 views)
File Type: jpg worch1bk142.jpg (81.6 KB, 1073 views)
File Type: jpg blugefr152.jpg (72.2 KB, 1068 views)
File Type: jpg blugebk153.jpg (71.5 KB, 1060 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-06-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Thanks again to all-

for sharing info and photos. Pete, that is very cool to have an uncatalogued one! I was sure that the existing Worch checklists are incomplete/erroneous, so this is exactly the kind of thing I hope we can discover by pooling our knowledge.

I picked up just a couple of Worches at the National, which I will post when I have had a chance to scan them. Also I just bought most of the few that remained from the last Larry Fritsch one-of-a-kind catalog. They have a few left, if anyone is interested: Crowder, Todt, Hartnett, and one or two others that I already had.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 PM
pete ullman

Tim...kinda strange how the SCD(or whatever it's now called) has a different checklist from the other one I found. I tried contacting Bob Lempke to adjust the checklist...but he is no longer involved. I will try the contact he referred me to .
Old 08-07-2013, 06:14 AM
pete ullman

I have 2 questions for you guys:

1...If u have Worch envelope(s)...does it have the player's name handwritten on the back in pencil?

2...Do any of you have cards with #'s handwritten on the back in pencil like mine?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Default ''Walt'' not ''Walter ?

...Power corrupts ; absolute power corrupts absolutely.......the kids in the basement at PSA are running wild....
Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Ol' diz

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 AM
pete ullman

Some more 33' Saints...marching in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worch2fr146.jpg (71.6 KB, 990 views)
File Type: jpg worch2bk147.jpg (85.0 KB, 990 views)
Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 PM
pete ullman

This...I find interesting.

Check out this link to a previous REA auction:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2011/624.html

I find it interesting that the customer requested certain players including Otto Bluege...who was out of stock at the time...yet to this day the Otto Bluege card is uncatalogued.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blugefr152.jpg (72.2 KB, 967 views)
Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Default Worch ''Holland'' : same image , but

... again the sepia-toned photo with the dark areas that fluoresce when tilted into the light ; the other is the standard glossy black and white ..two different graders gave him two different names , no doubt attempting to be helpful ;

...in a perfect world the standard protocol for flips would be whatever is on the card..... I still love that '' Gill'' in this thread from a couple days ago...
Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 AM

Default Found two more

...again , I don't trust the grader's notation 100%....
Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Default A Postcard Back Worch Joe Cronin

....without scrapbooks , grampas , and attics , we would have slim pickins on vintage...
Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Backgrounds , lettering , attributions and fonts.

...I've seen very few like the Max Carey ; there are a lot like the larger Rube Benton ; Pepper Martin might be aged and faded somewhat or maybe not. Need to see another one for comparison.
...The shorter , wider Rube Benton is the same photograph but not a Worch Cigar issue.... very slightly thinner stock ; but it's big and from the 1930's so I had to have it ; anyone recognize what set it might be from ???
....It would be great if the member with those two fantastic Lefty Groves could post them again , side by side , with a tweak more contrast , so the details are defined and exposed .
Thanks , MikeGarcia
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Derek Granger

Default Medwick

stoked to have this one crossed off my HOF Rookie "want list"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933 Medwick.jpg (76.3 KB, 971 views)

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-23-2013, 05:00 PM
pete ullman

more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worch2fr143.jpg (75.5 KB, 930 views)
Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM
pete ullman

Can't forget Bob!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worch4fr148.jpg (69.9 KB, 929 views)
Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Default Worch Cigar Jess '' Silver Fox'' Petty

....Graded several months apart about five years ago..... the graders apparently used different sources for ID purposes ; one flip indicates that there is another var. which has a background , the other implies that there exists another pose....

....these two are identical except : the one with the sloppily-placed name-box and 'way too much ink has a larger projection of the subject by almost 10% ,which puts his head closer to the top border . You have to stare at them for a long time to see it . I need to get a life beyond staring at old baseball cards.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Default Art Ruble Var. And sloppy-bottomed Leo Norris...

''No Background'' dominates the few I have had graded by PSA ..... Does SGC use any phrase up in their flips to signify varieties ?

...The Norris looks incomplete ; or perhaps rushed by the art department or the printer...
Old 08-25-2013, 08:31 PM

Default Homer And Hy

Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 AM
Mike

I have an Earl Combs. Sorry no scan.