NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-07-2016, 01:39 PM
pete ullman

Default 86 fleer jordan rookie

I almost pulled the trigger on a PSA nine Jordan rookie last night... Then I checked the pop reports... And I decided a card of which there were literally hundreds and hundreds of them was not worth this kind of money... At least not to me .
Old 07-07-2016, 02:13 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

[QUOTE=ullmandds;1559213]I almost pulled the trigger on a PSA nine Jordan rookie last night... Then I checked the pop reports... And I decided a card of which there were literally hundreds and hundreds of them was not worth this kind of money... At least not to me .[/QUOTE}

would depend how many hundreds and hundreds of buyers are out there
Old 07-07-2016, 03:34 PM
pete ullman

sure...but psychologically i couldnt do it.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on a PSA nine Jordan rookie last night... Then I checked the pop reports... And I decided a card of which there were literally hundreds and hundreds of them was not worth this kind of money... At least not to me .
Good instincts, Pete.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 07-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Bret

It will be interesting to see what this card does over the next five years. I just sold a BGS 8 with 9.5 centering for more than double what I paid for it so right now the market is a little too hot for MJ.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Le.if Eld.evik

I understand the psychological side. But I said the same thing about Mickey Mantle rookies cards 15 years ago. I couldn't believe people would pay $5,000 - $10,000 for a PSA 5. They really aren't that rare.

PSA 5s now sell for $50,000 to $75,000.

Jordan has allot of fans. And they are now starting to hit their prime as far as disposable income. I think the same thing might happen.

That said, I do agree with you. The Jordan isn't rare. It's crazy what people will pay for a nice example.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:12 PM

Default High Pop

Yes, the Jordan has a huge population (2433 9's and 251 PSA 10's).

However, there are 275 current 1986 Fleer sets on the registry - 85 HOF Rookie sets and another countless number of sets where a Jordan RC is the key card.

Leaving aside the registry, Jordan is popular world wide and a great number of basketball collectors (unlike baseball) reside overseas and not in North America and will want his best card.

Factor in that along with Ali and maybe Usain Bolt he is the most popular athlete in the world, and his card will always be in demand.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:21 PM

Pete - Sometimes you gotta say, "WTF" and buy the card.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Larry

Not that one, and not for the current asking money, with that many available!

Larry
Old 08-10-2016, 04:42 PM
David M.

Anybody see these pics from the CU board of all the Jordan rookies being sold at different tables at the National? Doesn't make it seem especially rare, that's for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rare Jordan Rookie 1.jpg (75.6 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Rare Jordan Rookie 2.jpg (77.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Rare Jordan Rookie 3.jpg (77.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Anybody see these pics from the CU board of all the Jordan rookies being sold at different tables at the National? Doesn't make it seem especially rare, that's for sure.
Crazy!

What was the average asking prices for those?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:23 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Crazy!

What was the average asking prices for those?
I really don't know since I don't have the original photos. I just copied them over from the CU board.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:19 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Hard to see from the pics, but it seems like every one was 1k plus even lesser condition, which reflects the eBay market as well. Anything halfway decent under 1k seems to be moving. I bought mine about 2-3 years ago, and very glad I did. I love the card, it's one of only a few iconic basketball cards in my opinion, and I do think there is a hard floor on the card at a certain price. It has global appeal as mj was a global phenomenon. I know I wouldn't be able to get another one at the price I bought at and it is one of my favorite cards, a lot of others feel that way which is why the prices keep going up.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Hard to see from the pics, but it seems like every one was 1k plus even lesser condition, which reflects the eBay market as well. Anything halfway decent under 1k seems to be moving. I bought mine about 2-3 years ago, and very glad I did. I love the card, it's one of only a few iconic basketball cards in my opinion, and I do think there is a hard floor on the card at a certain price. It has global appeal as mj was a global phenomenon. I know I wouldn't be able to get another one at the price I bought at and it is one of my favorite cards, a lot of others feel that way which is why the prices keep going up.
They keep going up for now. But value is and will always be proportional to demand versus supply, and the supply end is simply huge! Iconic, yes. A great investment? There would have to be an enormous influx of new buyers through future decades for that to happen long term.

Larry