NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2024, 06:48 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'm very late to the party, but thought I'd chime in since there's a show tomorrow and I've been thinking about this exact situation.

I assume most of this has been covered, so pardon me if I’m repeating anyone else’s thoughts.

The few times I was able to secure decent trades at shows was the result of a few things, namely:

1. Work the room and get chatting. Find personable dealers who enjoy interacting with collectors. These are the guys who are usually most open to talking about trades.

2. You have to know (and more importantly, accept) that there is no way in high heck you can expect to get an even swap. Dealers are trying to make money, so you have to know the negotiations won't be like dealing with a fellow collector where you both get the 'same' value back. They want to sell and make a profit at the show (and the shows that follow). They need to get the (way) better end of any deal.

3. Taking #2 into account, you have to offer them (great) cards that are pretty liquid, ones they know they could 'easily' sell at this show or the next. You have to avoid offering anything that would basically become 'dead inventory' on their table. They have no use for that stuff.

4. Find great (and easily sellable) cards of yours that are worth a heckuva lot more than what you paid for them originally. For instance, say you have a Mantle you picked up a long while back for a fraction of what it is worth now. If you're looking to land (without spending money on) a sweet card you really want that is currently worth less than your Mick, then you would be more apt to swap it at a 'loss,' since you wouldn't actually be losing value considering what you paid for it. That sort of purchase timing is really the heart of the matter. Because, pretend instead that you recently bought that very Mantle and paid a pretty penny for it. If that were the case, there’s no way in heck you’d want to trade it at a significant loss. Same exact card, but completely different ways to look at its specific monetary value to you personally.

And yes, tomorrow I'll probably be doing all of this, but will come home without any trades made. It's the nature of the beast, but you gotta give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

At the end of the day a deal is only good if both parties are happy. (Well, that's the way it's supposed to be, anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I'm very late to the party, but thought I'd chime in since there's a show tomorrow and I've been thinking about this exact situation.

I assume most of this has been covered, so pardon me if I’m repeating anyone else’s thoughts.

The few times I was able to secure decent trades at shows was the result of a few things, namely:

1. Work the room and get chatting. Find personable dealers who enjoy interacting with collectors. These are the guys who are usually most open to talking about trades.

2. You have to know (and more importantly, accept) that there is no way in high heck you can expect to get an even swap. Dealers are trying to make money, so you have to know the negotiations won't be like dealing with a fellow collector where you both get the 'same' value back. They want to sell and make a profit at the show (and the shows that follow). They need to get the (way) better end of any deal.

3. Taking #2 into account, you have to offer them (great) cards that are pretty liquid, ones they know they could 'easily' sell at this show or the next. You have to avoid offering anything that would basically become 'dead inventory' on their table. They have no use for that stuff.

4. Find great (and easily sellable) cards of yours that are worth a heckuva lot more than what you paid for them originally. For instance, say you have a Mantle you picked up a long while back for a fraction of what it is worth now. If you're looking to land (without spending money on) a sweet card you really want that is currently worth less than your Mick, then you would be more apt to swap it at a 'loss,' since you wouldn't actually be losing value considering what you paid for it. That sort of purchase timing is really the heart of the matter. Because, pretend instead that you recently bought that very Mantle and paid a pretty penny for it. If that were the case, there’s no way in heck you’d want to trade it at a significant loss. Same exact card, but completely different ways to look at its specific monetary value to you personally.

And yes, tomorrow I'll probably be doing all of this, but will come home without any trades made. It's the nature of the beast, but you gotta give it a go.

Last edited by Leon; 02-28-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is all well and fine to theorize about selling a card to fund a buy but that doesn’t apply at a show unless you sell beforehand. Also, Some attendees have little cash but have cards so they only get new items if they trade.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-01-2024, 07:09 AM
Danny Gr|mes

I still to this day have success at shows and here, FB etc trading. Doesn’t hurt to ask. I know who I can trade with and cannot and sometimes it sparks a new friendship. These are trading cards right? Not flipping cards?

I’m usually all for trading unless I need the $ for an extreme certain reason.

Last edited by refz; 03-01-2024 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nowadays, my buys are being paid for by giving consignments. I feel like somehwere in there I am losing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It is all well and fine to theorize about selling a card to fund a buy but that doesn’t apply at a show unless you sell beforehand. Also, Some attendees have little cash but have cards so they only get new items if they trade.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:45 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Or you could do what I've sometimes stupidly done, go to shows with not a ton of cash, but Venmo & Paypal and find dealers who will accept that. Then after I've run myself into some good debt, I have to come home and sell to pay it off.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:48 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

True. Among the things I traded away this past year in deals with dealers at shows and at shops were a Chrome Ohtani RC PSA 10, and a Trout Update PSA 9. I cringe to think of the actual percentage value I was given on them in trade, but I didn't care. I wanted vintage and came away with Mantle and Mays cards, so it was worth it to me.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It's usually easier when you know your trading partner, though I have a few friends it's not so easy with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
It's kind of like anything in life where you have to add value for someone if you want them to do a deal with you or help you out. I have a bunch of hobby friends who have already provided me a lot a value and I'll do lateral trades or whatever with them no problem. I have a few guys who offer me lots at prices where I can make a few bucks and they like that I pay immediately and don't haggle. Sometimes I add up what I'm getting and I'm not sure it's quite break-even but I'll say yes anyway because I figure the next batch will probably be a good buy.

I have a buddy who also sells stuff and a few times he and I have made a deal where one of us gets a very big card and the other gets a big stack of inventory. Probably neither of us would do that type of trade with a stranger but we knew the negotiations would be easy, and it has worked out great.

With a dealer you don't know, it's tougher. Just have to start by asking if they trade and see how they react. If they seem hesitant or not into it, probably try another dealer.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:27 PM
John Wondowski

Default Trading / Cash Can Work!

Had a great experience at the Philly Show this weekend doing a part cash / part trade deal with fellow board member, Howard Chasser. He always has some amazing offerings. I found an upgrade for my collection (both condition and variation) and offered the card being upgraded plus cash. Deal was done in less than a minute - I was ecstatic to get a great card and I'm assuming Howard was happy with the transaction from a dealer perspective. He even made some accommodations for payment.

Point being is that I was realistic in my expectations when offering, and Howard is a straight-forward no bullshit guy. Both attributes made the deal work. Thank you, Howard!

Now I gotta work on getting some cash together for that Stahl Meyer Mantle....
Old 03-09-2024, 02:31 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
Now I gotta work on getting some cash together for that Stahl Meyer Mantle....
By any chance, did you pick up different Stahl-Meyer from Howard?

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 03-09-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:41 PM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
By any chance, did you pick up different Stahl-Meyer from Howard?
I did not - 1951 Ringside panel.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I did not - 1951 Ringside panel.
salesman sample (8x) or pack-issued panel (2x)? Who'd you get?

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-09-2024 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:25 PM
John Wondowski

Adam,

Traded a two-card panel Robinson / Micelli with $$$ for a higher grade two-card panel with Robinson / Lesnevich. I love oddball stuff.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Adam,

Traded a two-card panel Robinson / Micelli with $$$ for a higher grade two-card panel with Robinson / Lesnevich. I love oddball stuff.
I would always rather have a Lesnevich than a Micelli. Well done!
Old 03-12-2024, 02:52 PM

Default trading with dealers at card shows

This past weekend I obtained two cards completely in trade at a local show,
no cash on either side. I acquired a 51 Bowman Ted Williams and a 71 Topps
Thurman Munson with separate dealers. In both cases I "lost" the trade by
10% (ish) total value. In the case of Williams I gave up 2 cards (both "newer"
than the Ted too). For Munson it was a 1 for 1 trade in which I gave up a
basketball card (not my focus). There was no Sharks versus Jets, the Hatfields
and the McCoys stayed home too. Just size up your trading partner and behave
decently. It's not nearly as difficult or unusual as is being portrayed by some in
this thread, to trade at a show with a dealer.

Trent King
Old 03-14-2024, 01:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Trading with Dealers at Card Shows?

Trading with Dealers at Card Shows?

I guess I will find out this weekend. High prices on them as I only want to trade... I am doing it 100% for fun and I expect no sales or trades. (is that a low enough expectation?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case2.jpg (201.2 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg case1.jpg (167.4 KB, 305 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-14-2024 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:30 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Trading with Dealers at Card Shows?

I guess I will find out this weekend. High prices on them as I only want to trade... I am doing it 100% for fun and I expect no sales or trades. (is that a low enough expectation?)
Lots of "to die for" cards in your show cases, Leon. Very Nice!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Lots of "to die for" cards in your show cases, Leon. Very Nice!
Agree. That 1904 McGraw is awesome. E104s, especially the Plank, aint half bad either (among many others)
Old 03-14-2024, 08:29 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If you want to offer a dealer a card he can sell for $1000 for one of his $900 cards ….. yes, he will be a pleasant guy and it will be a very amicable transaction. He will be happy to do it again at the next show. He will look for you.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-14-2024 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
If you want to offer a dealer a card he can sell for $1000 for one of his $900 cards ….. yes, he will be a pleasant guy and it will be a very amicable transaction. He will be happy to do it again at the next show. He will look for you.
Price is less important than satisfaction. As long as both sides are pleased with the trade, it is a win-win.

Or not...
Old 03-14-2024, 09:38 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Price is less important than satisfaction. As long as both sides are pleased with the trade, it is a win-win.
A good trade involves both pain and pleasure for both sides.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 03-14-2024 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:09 AM

Default Trading

Casey and Exhibitman- yep, you get it. Snapolit1- not sure what bleak locations you are frequenting, you are clearly very sour about trades. Trading is an obvious and common method of obtaining cards, for dealer and collector. Doesn’t work with everybody of course, but your vision is very narrow on this matter. If both parties are happy in a trade, it’s worth the time and “effort” (talking about cards counts as “effort” in this case). Trent King
Old 03-15-2024, 01:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yep. I would trade a mildly more expensive common card for a toughie I need for a set every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Or not...
Old 03-15-2024, 06:20 PM
John Wondowski

I likey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img376.jpg (193.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg img377.jpg (196.6 KB, 190 views)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
A good trade involves both pain and pleasure for both sides.
Where is the pain for a dealer getting a card with value of $100 for a card worth $90?

I get the fascination with the concept of trading. It’s largely a fantasy in the hobby. People trade so they can say they made a trade because it makes them feel good. And that’s fine. Dealers trade to make money.

Every single thing I’ve listed in BST the last few years one or more people have contacted me asking to trade. And I say sure make me an offer. And most of the time the offer is absurd. Just the reality of it.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-15-2024 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:53 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Where is the pain for a dealer getting a card with value of $100 for a card worth $90?

I get the fascination with the concept of trading. It’s largely a fantasy in the hobby. People trade so they can say they made a trade because it makes them feel good. And that’s fine. Dealers trade to make money.

Every single thing I’ve listed in BST the last few years one or more people have contacted me asking to trade. And I say sure make me an offer. And most of the time the offer is absurd. Just the reality of it.
You're a dealer, I'm a collector, my comment is for collectors. A good trade with another collector usually involves cards that neither one wants to give up but desires the opposite card more, thus the pain. Nothing better than a good collector trade.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 03-16-2024 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:36 AM

Default trading with dealers at card shows

Phil (Casey)- feels like playing tennis against the drapes, doesn't it?

Trent King
Old 03-16-2024, 10:19 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
Phil (Casey)- feels like playing tennis against the drapes, doesn't it?

Trent King
Haha, yes! When you are the guy with the tennis racket and the dealer is the drapes.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:02 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I likey
Mee too!

My latest column is up and it is on this subject

Or not...
Old 03-16-2024, 11:30 AM

Default trading at card shows

Today I attended yet another local show and traded successfully with a dealer set up there. I acquired a 55 Topps Gil Hodges and a 55 Bowman Roy Campy in new PSA slabs, and a raw 57 Topps Nellie Fox. There was no money exchanged, both parties happy and values very even on both sides. For something SNapolitano claims is a “fantasy”, the trade seemed awfully real Trent King
Old 03-16-2024, 12:01 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Adam - enjoyed your blog post on the subject. Fair and balanced as one bogus news outlet likes to claim. Yout point is the same one I made, albeit maybe not in the assholish fashion I did. Regardless of your motives in trading, its always an economic transaction for the dealer paying rent for his table. Very unlikely the dealer is trading with you because he personally wants the card for his collection. He wants to sell it. And sometimes it might make sense for the dealer to engage in a trade for a lesser value card for other reasons like you offer. But the dealer is not trading with you because the trading thing is giving him a warm fuzzy feeling about those days of yore when he and his buddies met in his grandmothers basement in 1976 and traded cards. He's making a business decision. Economics 101.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-16-2024 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:16 PM

Default trading

Snapolitano- It's not gonna be that easy, partner. It's also "Econ 101" for
the other party, and the "warm and fuzzy" comment is a non-starter. You're
reach exceeded your grasp on this one, you whiffed. Ignore me if you wish,
you are wrong here.

Trent King
Old 03-19-2024, 08:27 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

I traded for this E121 Ruth at the Philly Show. I gave up five cards (1951 Bowman Mays, 1957 Topps Bill Russell, M101-5 Honus Wagner [blank back], 1957 Topps Sandy Koufax, and 1921 Exhibits Walter Johnson), plus some cash. I am very pleased with the trade and believe that the dealer was very fair with the values he assigned to my cards. Could I have gotten more for them if I had sold them myself? Probably, a little more, but there would likely be fees/expenses associated with that also. I think from his perspective, he will be able to move the five cards he received, easier than the Ruth, and as a larger dealer, probably has the ability to make a little more on them than I could. I guess it worked out for both of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2024, 07:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Really nice card.

Or not...
Old 03-20-2024, 07:45 AM
J@son Per1

I have had some success making surprisingly fair trades with a dealer at a nearby monthly card show. The guy generally pays 80-90% range and his trades are even closer to market. If you factor in the ability to offload cards safely without having to deal with shipping costs and risks, it has worked out really nicely. Selling cards isn't always super easy. The best and easiest way is eBay but you are only getting 85% that way and so an in-person show transaction for similar value can work out well. Plus it is fun. It doesn't hurt that the dealer is a cool guy with fair prices and tons of good vintage inventory.

Also, a lot of dealers don't really look beyond card / grade / VCP, so it's possible to offload below-average cards for the assigned grade and get the market value, minus whatever discount the dealer assesses. This has enabled me to trade cards that are weak for the grade in exchange for examples that are strong.

Last edited by Kutcher55; 03-20-2024 at 08:40 AM.