NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-01-2022, 01:29 PM
Robert J. Miller

Default JSA or PSA For Ruth Auto.....scanned Mantle and DiMaggio

Who would you prefer to send for authenticating autographs?
I have some misc. cards / balls / cut sigs of Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio, Williams etc. I know they are all legit because I got them in person with the exception of the Ruth.
Do either JSA or PSA have a better reputation and valued more at resell than the other?
I probably will be selling within the next few years and would like to maximize the resale value.
Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by philliesfan; 03-07-2022 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:29 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

I prefer JSA as I have known Jimmy Spence since his early days at PSA back in the late 1990's.

However, either is fine and I doubt there is much difference in selling price between the two.

PSA/DNA can encapsulate the autograph which some collectors really like and they will grade the autograph as well for an additional cost. JSA also started grading autographs a year or so ago but they do not offer encapsulation at this time.

Kevin Keating is PSA/DNA's lead authenticator and he is very good so you cannot go wrong with either.

Authentication prices for most of the bigger autographs is probably very similar although JSA offers a house call in which they charge a set price + travel expenses for a certain number of full LOAs. The cost is a minimum of $2500 + any travel expenses.

They also travel to shows every weekend of the year so if you live near a major city, chances are you can meet them at the show and submit for authentication. They will tell you the outcome at the show and return your item but the LOA comes a month or so later through the mail.

Just keep in mind that any authenticator is giving their opinion based on a lot of experience but in the end it is just that, an opinion. They sometimes miss the mark and get a lot of criticism for any mistake but overall I think they are pretty reliable especially on the better known sports stars like you have.

Last edited by rand1com; 03-01-2022 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 03-01-2022, 02:49 PM
Robert J. Miller

Thank you for the information. I will head out to the Valley Forge PA show this weekend. JSA is there. I think I will bring my Ruth, and autographed baseballs. I will save the cards and have them encapsulated by PSA. I sure hope the Ruth is real!
Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-01-2022, 05:32 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I've gotten several autographs authenticated by JSA over the last year or so. I've submitted all of them in-person at shows in San Antonio and Houston, and have been very pleased with their service.

Prices are about equal between JSA and PSA, and with JSA doing in-person grading at shows, I much prefer them over sending items through the mail to PSA.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 03-01-2022, 06:41 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

JSA is who I have always submitted to. This is a topic well covered before...both make mistakes but personally I think JSA is more conservative in their authentication and PSA more liberal.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:50 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
Thank you for the information. I will head out to the Valley Forge PA show this weekend. JSA is there. I think I will bring my Ruth, and autographed baseballs. I will save the cards and have them encapsulated by PSA. I sure hope the Ruth is real!
Thanks,
Bob
Why don't you post a scan of the Ruth here. There are a lot of Ruth experts on here and the fee will be $300 for JSA.

You might want some input before laying that out if you are not sure it is authentic.

There are many more Ruth forgeries in the market than there are legitimate autographs.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:18 PM
Robert J. Miller

Good idea. Don't know why I did not think of that.
Scan coming shortly!
Thanks!
Bob
Old 03-01-2022, 07:21 PM
Robert J. Miller

Here it is! Please express your thoughts if this is legit or not.
I scanned a nickel for size comparison.
Thanks,
Bob

Babe Ruth Autograph.jpg
Old 03-01-2022, 07:25 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Thanks,
Bob

Attachment 505161
Wow, I am not a fan at all. Any others not like it?
Old 03-01-2022, 07:27 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Unfortunately, save the $300 fee. No chance that is authentic. Let others chime in.

Last edited by rand1com; 03-01-2022 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 03-01-2022, 07:38 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Unfortunately, save the $300 fee. No chance that is authentic. Let others chime in.
Cut + Pencil almost always =forged
Old 03-01-2022, 07:45 PM
Robert J. Miller

OUCH! I guess I will put the $300.00 towards some T206's........Oh by the way, did I say......OUCH!

Thanks for everyone's input, just wish it was better input.

Bob
Old 03-01-2022, 07:57 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

If you want a professional "Quick Opinion" from an authentication company just to be sure we know what we are talking about, you can get one from PSA/DNA or Beckett for $10.

I know it is disheartening to find out something is not authentic.

I bought MANY bad Mantles, Dimaggios, and Williams in the late 1990's on Ebay with worthless LOAs.

I had to write off thousands of dollars because it was a few years before I actually studied autographs enough to know real from fake on those autos.

At least it did not cost you $300 to get bad news.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:21 PM
Brendan Mullen

100% bad. Don’t even waste your money. Sorry.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:55 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Thanks,
Bob

Attachment 505161
Please if you dont mind telling us where you obtained it so others can learn from others mistakes. Also I hope you are not out alot of money. I got duped in the 90's for a Ruth to the tune of 550 bucks.Learned my lessons really quick.

If you do not feel like sharing its perfectly fine.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:26 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

As others have said, that is a blatant forgery. If you submitted a bunch of other stuff to them in person you might be able to just show them in person for free for them to agree so you feel more comfortable with what we are saying. Bottom line though, no chance on that one.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:10 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

If I where you. I would show us the other Ruth, Williams, Mantle and what ever you where going to have authenticated. We might save you a great deal of money
Old 03-02-2022, 04:03 PM
Robert J. Miller

Hi Shelly.
All of my Mantle, DiMaggio and Williams autographs I received in person and have they never left my possession so I know they are fine.
Maybe I will scan them just to show.......
Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-05-2022, 09:46 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
Cut + Pencil almost always =forged
I'd rather have Cold Cuts than a "cut" autograph. They are a 99% Fake known quantity.

At least you saved the OP 3 zambeanies! He got the "other cuts" In person, so maybe he'll hit 50% on those. The balls are easily identifiable and don't need $100 authentication letters either, IMHO.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:51 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
If you want a professional "Quick Opinion" from an authentication company just to be sure we know what we are talking about, you can get one from PSA/DNA or Beckett for $10.

I know it is disheartening to find out something is not authentic.

I bought MANY bad Mantles, Dimaggios, and Williams in the late 1990's on Ebay with worthless LOAs.

I had to write off thousands of dollars because it was a few years before I actually studied autographs enough to know real from fake on those autos.

At least it did not cost you $300 to get bad news.
Good Points here. I think we all learned that way. I have looked at 100,000+ Mantle's and can tell at a blink, real or Fake 99.8% of the time. It goes down slightly for Dimaggio and then Williams. Then, I just stopped because I got bored doing the work and was sick of seeing all the scammies going unchecked.

Having 100 + Mantle balls and photos, I only have so much storage and display space. plus, I'm a Dodger fan.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:45 PM
Robert J. Miller

As I knew they would, the Mantle, DiMaggio and the multi signed ball (Mantle, Williams and others) came back all good. I will post scans tonight.

The Babe Ruth seen in this thread was in a local card auction. I won it for $50.00 back in 1981. I should have sold it to the guy who offered me $200.00 after the auction. oh well....live and learn. So I am only out the $50.00.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-07-2022, 01:57 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
as i knew they would, the mantle, dimaggio and the multi signed ball (mantle, williams and others) came back all good. I will post scans tonight.

The babe ruth seen in this thread was in a local card auction. I won it for $50.00 back in 1981. I should have sold it to the guy who offered me $200.00 after the auction. Oh well....live and learn. So i am only out the $50.00.

Thanks,
bob
nice job!
Old 03-07-2022, 05:05 PM
Robert J. Miller

Here are the balls that I had authenticated.
Sorry for the poor pictures. Ansel Adams I am not.
The Mantle Williams ball also has Robin Roberts, Brooks Robinson, Al Kaline, Duke Snider, Whitey Ford, Harmon Killibrew and Bob Feller.

Mickey Mantle Ball 2.jpg

Joe DiMaggie Ball 2.jpg

Mickey Mantle Ball.jpg

Joe DiMaggio Ball.jpg

Mantle Williams Ball.jpg

Last edited by philliesfan; 03-07-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:13 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Nice! You are usually safe with in person autographs but once in a while they also fail. Not usually on Mantle, Dimaggio, and Williams though. The authenticators are solid on these guys.

Last edited by rand1com; 03-07-2022 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 03-12-2022, 11:48 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Here are the balls that I had authenticated.
Sorry for the poor pictures. Ansel Adams I am not.
The Mantle Williams ball also has Robin Roberts, Brooks Robinson, Al Kaline, Duke Snider, Whitey Ford, Harmon Killibrew and Bob Feller.

Attachment 506292

Attachment 506293

Attachment 506294

Attachment 506295

Attachment 506296
even with the bad pics, you can tell they are GORGEOUS!!!!!I usually like snow white gem mint balls. Sometimes I like spotted racoonie or toned brownie tan too. Signatures are GREAT. Enjoy the stickers