NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: jay behrens

I realize everyone wants to have their posts on the BST near the top, but please don't bump your post until it hits the second page. Otherwise, it's going to be a continuous battle by people to keep their recent posts near the top. I've seen people bumping their posts after 4 or 5 days.

Please, show a little restraint and wait until your post hits the second page before rebumping.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: prewarsports

The BST thread is flooded now with the same people selling stuff they buy on ebay and using it as an ebay flipping alternative with infalted prices. I am all for capitalism and making money but lots of people selling constantly on there just do it because they can ask huge prices and pray for a bite, all the while not paying any fees if something sells. Maybe I am just ranting, but it is more a VST (Vulture Selling Thread) than BST. Not to say the whole thing is bad, just degenerating from its original intent in my opinion.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Andrew Parks

I don't have a problem with people bumping before it gets to the second page. It helps me to know what cards haven't been sold yet and what things are still for sale.

I also don't have a problem with people trying to net a profit on here. If I see a card or cards in the B/S/T for sale at a higher price than what it went for on Ebay, I just don't buy it.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: John S

Jay, I too have been frustrated with all the bumps as of late. I listed an item yesterday and within an hour it was replaced by a bump. The second page thing is a good idea.

I also agree with Andrew. If an individual wants to ask an outrageous price for an item that is his/her decision. It is the obligation of the buyer to evaluate the value of an item.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: leon

My biggest pet peeve is that there are far more BST threads than threads on the main board nowadays. I am seriously considering limiting the BST to folks that contribute on the main forum. That should put a stop to a lot of the crap. It's been pathetic lately but I haven't said anything. IF you are posting in the BST why don't you actually do something worthwhile and contribute to the good of our community? This is not aimed at anyone in this thread but those others that ONLY post in the BST areas..Truly sad.....thanks for letting me rant.....

Old 05-17-2006, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Josh K.

Leon,

I actually like that idea a lot.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Jimmy

of that idea. I know that many of us lurkers just like to read what's going on and don't have the expertise to interject anything into the forum. I post questions when I have them, but vintage has a BIG learning curve and I'm still near the bottom. I hope that doesn't mean that I am not allowed to B/S/T.

Jimmy

Old 05-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Wesley

I never really understood why some folks would constantly bump their threads back to the top.

In reality, if an item posted on the BST does not sell in the first 48 hours, chances are it will not sell.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

There will be NO immediate changes to the BST or anything for that matter. I am not going to make any new rules over there but do try to be patient on bumping your B/S/T's. I have just noticed a trend, in the last week, when our main forum threads have been overtaken, in volume, by the B/S/T threads. Everyone can still post in the BST but please do try to partake in the main forum so others can learn too....We have had fewer than 100 posts the last 4 days (except one when we had 100 even)...and there are the same amount of folks reading the board..(around 800 daily). ...Only about 5% of folks are posting and the rest are loitering (or as we call it "lurking"). So the participation on the main board is down a bit but the BST area's are up dramatcially...I am not saying that is good or bad, necessarily, but I would like to see more participation on the main forum..best regards ...moderator dude

Old 05-17-2006, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I agree that B/S/T is a subject seperate from posting. And I feel that persons who are selling, trading or buying could be adding something worthwhile to our community.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: andy becker

hi guys,
i agree with jay regarding the bumping.
i have sold plenty of items that are more than half way down page one.
if it isn't sold, there's really no reason to bump until it gets to page two.

flippers that try to profit on bst from ebay sales have it backward, imo.
buy stuff on the bst and try to resell on ebay.
that may not work, but i think that you might have a better chance than the other way around.
seems to me the board should know value a bit better than the ebay community.

leon, i hear what you are saying.....but i have to agree with jimmy.
imo, people that don't feel comfortable posting on the main board should still be allowed to post on bst.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Point taken, like I said in my last post...

"I am not going to make any new rules over there but do try to be patient on bumping your B/S/T's."

regards....and thanks for participating on the main forum as much as you do....

Old 05-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: PC

I've purchased a lot of cards off the BST in the last year, and while I appreciate bumps that have new information (like a price drop, or indications that a card has sold, or has been moved to ebay), bumps with no new info are annoying. This is specially so when the card is blatantly overpriced.

However, I don't think the BST is broke, so IMO there should be no additional restrictions. I especially would not want to see BST listings limited by how often one posts. Human beings use this forum, and not everyone is going to act to everyone else's liking -- and I, personally, would rather put up with useless bumping than miss out on good material.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Eric

Thank you Jay..for bringing this up. I no longer even look at the B/S/T link because certain individuals bump their rediculous posts week after week. I realize this site supports the freedom of expression, but a couple of people have brutally abused that expression by constantly barraging the B/S/T link with their repeated requests week after week.

Leon~ Please consider allowing topic specific posts to only be left once a month. And no bumping whatsoever during that month. If a thread finds it's way back to the top because someone else responds to that post..fine..that's completely exceptable. I've spoken to many mainstays on this board who feel the B/S/T link has become a joke. It can be fixed with one simple rule.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I had asked for caramels in 2 b/s/t's, I never bumped mine to the top. i guess y'all folks dont have any
really nice caramels for the "Danaroo", so I'll wait awhile and ask later. No junkies ,want caramels NICE.

Good day

Old 05-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Just to elaborate on a point Leon made earlier about "contributing". If you ask a reasonable question on the main page, you are in effect beginning a discussion on our board, thusly giving people something to talk about/debate and allowing those with expertise in that area a chance to be of assistance so that yourself and others benefit from the discussion. So I definately consider asking questions to be a form of "contributing" to the board as well. Like Leon was saying, there have been far fewer posts on the main page than the BST pages, so we are always on the lookout for quality subject matter to discuss. In other words, if you have a question, ask away!

Regards all,

Brian

Old 05-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Leon

Although I agree with you, there is no way I am going to spend even more time monitoring the BST area's. It isn't too broken so I don't think fixing it is in the best interest of the board, in general, at this point. Our BST area is growing rapidly so it must not be too bad. I do wish folks that post the same thing every week would spread it out more but I am not going to mandate it. I wish more folks would contribute on the main forum. It's "our" board so hopefully all that enjoy it will contribute when they can..You don't have to "know" much to join in the threads. ..best regards

Old 05-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: prewarsports

Leon

I think you hit the nail on the head. The BST thread is overrunning the site and a good deal of it is from people who have little or no interest in baseball card discussions who are simply trying to use this site as a free ebay alternative with inflated prices. Limiting it the same way you unofficially limit the O/T threads is a great idea in my opinion.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: John S

I too have noticed less posting occuring over the last couple of weeks. One of the unfortunate trends that I have noticed (and I am guilty as well) is that controversial threads with little or no hobby related value will often receive much more attention than a "pure" thread directed towards cards or legit pre-war topics. I realize that there is really no way to correct this problem except for to throw a post at the legit topics, even if the subject has been addressed before. I would rather encourage a new poster by answering a question that has already been posted rather than refer them to the search function. Don't get me wrong, I constantly use the search function. One of the potential reasons for the decline in number of posts is that 9 out of 10 questions can be found in the archives.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I think part of the decline in discussion posts can be attributed to Spring time and people doing other things.

The only pet peeve I have with the BST threads are the people who you are in the middle of trying to make a deal (trades in my case) with and you never hear back from them. This has happened to me twice in the last month or so. I believe it is much more honorable to email and tell the person that you are no longer interested in a trade than to remain silent by not returning an email.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Although I don't want to get in the middle of deals I DO WANT to know when folks do not act professionally in the BST area's.....please email me privatelly and let me know what is going on. It is a privilege to post there and not a right.....Everyone should treat each other like they want to be treated.....regards

Old 05-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Andy

"You don't have to "know" much to join in the threads." - Leon

Considering my level of knowledge concerning these wonderful pieces of cardboard falls quite short of most on this board, I finally have an invitation to post here.

Seriously, I just wanted to say thank you to all the regular contributors for teaching me so much about this stuff that I love so much. I am inexplicably drawn to anything "old baseball" and when I found this forum I just about dropped. Thank you all for this place.

- Andy

Old 05-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Bob

I like the B/S/T threads in which cards are sold and think it is very effective but I don't think the B/S/T thread is very useful when asking for cards, i.e. "does anyone out there have any xxx's or yyy's?" Maybe I just chase hard to find cards or something but I actually have had much better luck having guys email me with a card or a lead when they are reading a grumbling post on the main board which mentions the difficulty in finding certain cards. I have decided that we either: a) collect the same cards b) I collect too esoteric (or rare) of sets or c) people reading the B/S/T thread are doing so primarily to buy, not sell or trade cards. Is my attitude too curmudgeonish or do others feel the same way?

Old 05-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: T206Collector

...bumps are okay on for sale items if you are lowering your price with each bump. Beyond that, you shouldn't get to bump for a number of days, perhaps a week even.

I also think a purchase on ebay followed by a sale on the B/S/T is not wrong, immoral or otherwise unethical. If you notice that a guy is trying to flip for profit, you don't have to buy it. Just pat yourself on the back for a job well done, knowing that the asking price is likely higher than the market value.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Bob

I agree. If you lost out on card on ebay which sold for $250 on ebay (you bid $247.50), the chances are slim you will then turn around and pony up $350 for it. On the other hand, someone who missed the auction might. A lot of cards I see in the B/S/T thread are coming from outside purchases like from Larry Fritsch etc.
Anyway, I see no problem with "flipping"- a lot of us who aren't independently wealthy flip cards from time to time in order to make a little money to plow back in to new and/or different cards.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Bob,

I agree with the flipping part of your post. If someone wants to flip a card then the BST is one avenue to do so. If someone is fortunate enough to have picked up a card cheap and wants to reap a profit then so be it. It doesn't matter if they use that profit to buy a fifth of Jack or a Cracker Jack card. That's their business. It may be distasteful to people out there but unfortunately it's just a reality of collecting these days. I wouldn't begrudge someone doing this (unless they outbid me for the card on ebay )

You had mentioned that posting "does anyone out there have any xxx's or yyy's?" is not effective. You're probably right about that but I've been fortunate in my postings because I've picked up a couple of difficult cards with the BST. One card was on my want list for a while and a couple fellow collectors helped me out with different cards. I wouldn't say that the cards were given to me by any stretch of the imagination but at least the cards were made available to me because of the BST.

Generally, I try not to bump a BST posting unless there hasn't been anything else new on the BST for a while or else if the post is getting old (a few weeks without a bump). Now if someone else bumps it then there's nothing wrong with that.

What bugs me are posts that are not related to the category in which the "ad" was placed. I think there's a catch all (EVERYTHING ELSE) category for stuff that doesn't fit in the categories provided.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T pet peeve

Posted By: jay behrens

Bob, I finding out the same thing you have, that posting requests for specific cards is pretty fruitless. On the other hand, as you mentioned, grumblings about a tough card or a dream card have landed me some my msot treasured cards. The least of which being my Thorpe card. I guess my wants are too rare and esoteric too

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.