NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default SGC special

Sent these in on the SGC special $8 basic fee with 20 day turnaround. Got them back in 8 business days. 22 of 23 passed authentication. Thanks Earl.

Last edited by Taxman; 03-18-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned

for 8 bucks each, did you have confidence that the person who looked at your autographs did a thorough and complete job. do you know who that person is?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Scott

Give the guy a small break. I would hope SGC would have some competent people.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Jason Wells

They look great.I think ill send in a few this month before it expires.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Sgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
for 8 bucks each, did you have confidence that the person who looked at your autographs did a thorough and complete job. do you know who that person is?
Told me he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Steve Zarelli

I like how the black slab appears to frame the cards. The Williams Thumper postcard is especially nice. Kudos.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Give the guy a small break. I would hope SGC would have some competent people.
you would hope but do you know.

if they havent authenticated autographs before and they wont tell you who authenticates for them. then why is their authentication any better than joe bob's authentication that started up last week out of hicksville, west virginia?

they make it a point to NOT tell people who their authenticators are? isn't that a red flag. just because they are sgc, a CARD grading company, now they know autographs? why do they know autographs?

its bread and circuses, the holder looks nice, then they must be competant?

for 8 dollars, repeat 8 dollars an autograph, you hope they would get someone competant.

to open the box, data entry all the information about the submitter and the order, organize the autographed card, bring up all the exemplars, authenticate the autograph, sonically seal the autographs in the holders, and box them up, you think that translates into authenticators who are competant names in the hobby spending more than a few seconds per autograph, at 8 bucks an autograph?

What if its a tough one that requires an hour an a half to competantly authenticte? answer-they won't spend 1.5 hours on one autograph because their business model wont allow it, just like the other services. it's a race to the bottom.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:14 PM

I would be interested in seeing a scan of the one that didn't pass. Care to share?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Sgc

$8 was the base price for regular players. Williams is considered a premium player and thus a premium price of $45 plus holdering. Nolan Ryan auto did not pass.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

I wonder why the authenticators charge more for "premiums" like Williams and Mantle when it seems most experts can identify real v. fake in seconds. Seems to me that the scarcity should raise the price of authentication, not the signatures value.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
$8 was the base price for regular players. Williams is considered a premium player and thus a premium price of $45 plus holdering. Nolan Ryan auto did not pass.
$45? Geeze. I used to buy those Williams postcards for under $50 a pop.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Dan McCarthy

Can you point me in the direction for how to submit? I have never sent anything to SGC and can't find any info about the autograph special
Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Sgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectbaseball View Post
Can you point me in the direction for how to submit? I have never sent anything to SGC and can't find any info about the autograph special
Check out their website...call them and ask for Earl.

http://www.sgccard.com/
Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Banned

and then ask who is looking at the autographs so you know that the person authenticating them is qualified to do so. that's more important than the 8 dollars.

Last edited by travrosty; 03-20-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Dan McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
and then ask who is looking at the autographs so you know that the person authenticating them is qualified to do so. that's more important than the 8 dollars.
I'd only be sending stuff that I already knew was good, to make it more saleable.