NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2015, 08:15 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

So I'm guessing that when you go to a show that you walk up to a dealer and ask them what they have sold and how much they got for it?

OT: but who am I kidding. I'm the fool for trying to argue with someone that thinks hitting for the cycle is no big deal. How far removed from the actual enjoyment of the sport and the history of the players do you have to be?

Also a part of me feels that you like to stir stuff up for no other reason than you can. I'm sorry if that feels like a personal attack.

Matthew Charlton
Old 08-14-2015, 08:23 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Sounds like another "Who should leave feedback first" debate (see other thread). I bet some buyers and sellers would prefer the sales price to not be public, and would say the sale is between the buyer and seller not a public service . In fact I'm certain many buyers would ask their buy price be kept between them and the seller, and complain if a seller posted the sales price, saying it's no one else's business what they pay. A lot of people consider it private information, or would prefer it be private, what they pay for things-- and a seller is normally going to defer to the customer on such matters.

In short, whatever method (leave it, post it, delete it), someone's going not going to like it. You can't please everyone. Some people like that you can look easily look up house prices easily on Zillow, while many home owners complain that any Tom, Dick or Harry can look up the value of their home.

Last edited by drcy; 08-14-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:46 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Sounds like another "Who should leave feedback first" debate (see other thread). I bet some buyers and sellers would prefer the sales price to not be public, and would say the sale is between the buyer and seller not a public service . In fact I'm certain many buyers would ask their buy price be kept between them and the seller, and complain if a seller posted the sales price, saying it's no one else's business what they pay. A lot of people consider it private information, or would prefer it be private, what they pay for things-- and a seller is normally going to defer to the customer on such matters.

In short, whatever method (leave it, post it, delete it), someone's going not going to like it. Some people like that you can look easily look up house prices easily on Zillow, while many home owners complain that any Tom, Dick or Harry can look up the value of their home.
We not asking for them to put the sales price...we are asking them to put their 'asking price' at the time the card was sold so its already public.....I already made the point about houses........its public about when you are making the most important purchase in your lifetime representing the biggest purchase...that's public..but buy a 200 dollar card...secret secret even just for the asking price...

to the OP, I don't ask what a dealer bought the cards for ever.....they seem to always offer up that information when they are asking more than VCP, ebay past sales etc...if they could point to net54 asking prices being higher than all of that, now that would be different!!!

in the end I don't care what the sellers bought the card for....but they seem to want to tell me that.(they may not say exact amount, they say 'I will already lose money on this card, 'I trying to break even")..I cant be the only one in that situation..

laxcat: I am presenting items for discussion...a lot of people seem to agree with me on issues..so its not like I am the only one....there may be people now that leave the asking price now...how is that a bad thing especially if another poster on this forum likes that....'if I can help just one poster'...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Bob Donaldson

Regarding the VCP argument (just look prices in VCP). Remember, VCP only deals with graded cards. Most cards on B/S/T are raw.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:53 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
Regarding the VCP argument (just look prices in VCP). Remember, VCP only deals with graded cards. Most cards on B/S/T are raw.
I agree with you about raw cards...I don't follow the VCP as a bible either..

but I have seen sellers that quote a recent sale that's 40% higher than the past 4 cards at the bible..and you cant argue that sellers use VCP as a method of negotiation...

also buyers use VCP...when I sold the two PSA 4 Green cobbs the past few months (I think I left off the asking price as well)..I had buyers quote SMR...then they would say I was asking waaay more than VCP...when I tried to talk about past private sales..they would claim ignorance...even when one of the private sales was mine on this forum.........so yeah I don't go by VCP as end all be all...but the point on VCP is it does show some sale prices... VCP doesn't delete the price every card allegedly sold for is what im getting at...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:59 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As a longtime collector/seller, my habit was never to reveal what I paid for something and my preference for no one to know what I paid, and it's always been my assumption most many collectors have similar sentiments. If you asked me yesterday, I would have assumed many collectors would consider it poor manners or being a show off to leave sales prices posted forever on a public forum.

Last edited by drcy; 08-14-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:03 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
As a longtime collector/seller, my habit was never to reveal what I paid for something and my preference for no one to know what I paid, and it's always been my assumption most many collectors have similar sentiments. If you asked me yesterday, I would have assumed many would collectors would consider it poor manners or being a show off to leave sales prices posted forever on a public forum.
no one would know what you paid...unlike every other Auction house on the planet.....they would know the 'asking price' though that was already made public......

am I missing something here? why all these arguments about what the card sold for versus asking price?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
As a longtime collector/seller, my habit was never to reveal what I paid for something and my preference for no one to know what I paid, and it's always been my assumption most many collectors have similar sentiments. If you asked me yesterday, I would have assumed many would collectors would consider it poor manners or being a show off to leave sales prices posted forever on a public forum.

Agree with it or not and I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, but my personal default is private sale/private information. I was raised that it's tacky to telegraph what you paid for everything, so that's in my hard wired psychology.

For the record, I sell no cards-- or hardly anything-- on B/S/T, so my posts are largely academic and moot as far as my data goes.
Agreed. I truly dislike that people can see what I have purchased and paid for it on eBay.
Tacky is the word that comes to mind. I couldn't find the right word earlier.

Last edited by Laxcat; 08-14-2015 at 09:10 AM.