NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Default Another what do you think of this auto - Steinbrenner

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150848612159...#ht_500wt_1164

I just won this. I know it's got the GAI cert which may tip some one way or the other. From the other legit examples I've seen, I thought this one looked good, but I wanted to see what others thought. Thanks
http://s241.photobucket.com/home/woundedduck/allalbums
Old 07-08-2012, 06:41 PM

I don't think it's good. (But, you didn't lose too much.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-08-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I am by no means an expert, but this does not match the Georges I have.

Ken
Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Christopher Williams

Yikes!!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Scott

Not even close to ones Ive seen either
Old 07-08-2012, 09:56 PM

Well that's certainly disappointing. I guess it just looks really bad to those that know, but is there anything specific about this one that tips it off? Or is there something in genuine Steinbrenner autos that this one lacks? Also, what should I do now? I haven't paid yet. Do I just suck it up, pay, and chalk it up to a learning experience? Or would it be bad form to contact the seller about my concerns and see if he'll agree to cancel the sale?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 PM

By all means, talk to the seller. Tell him you've been told by a number of collectors that there are problems with the signature. An honest seller will have no problem canceling the sale.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 PM

Another thought. Is it possible this could be a rushed authentic signature? A legit sig on a dollar bill would come from someone who'd run in to the boss randomly and had nothing else to get signed and might result in something rushed? Would it be worth paying for a psa/DNA quick opinion to see if they've seen any legit autos that would compare?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM

No. (To both questions.)
Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

George didn't exactly have a "nice" sig to begin with, all of his seem to be rushed.

Ken
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

From 2008, a George Steinbrenner autographed baseball offered for sale in the Yankees' Team Store in Yankee Stadium...

(Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

And from 2009, an image of a George Steinbrenner signed baseball included as part of the "Ball Wall" in the Yankees Museum in the present (fake) Yankee Stadium...

(Photo taken August 11, 2009. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

For obvious reasons both signatures are presumed by me to be genuine.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Perry Lin

The "s" is surely not from George. They look nothing like that. The seller should just cancel it for you, but you are protected either way. Ebay will always side with the buyer based on authenticity concerns. Most people dont realize this, but under buyer protection, you will always have the option to return an autographed item due to authenticity concerns. You dont need proof, just that you dont think its real. Ebay even pays for return shipping. Its for this reason that I ignore all of these "as is" sellers. There is no such thing when it comes to autographs.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm really bummed as I was looking forward to acquiring this one for my collection. I contacted the seller and am asking for a mutual cancelation since I haven't paid for it yet. I appreciate all the help.

Eric
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinvestments View Post
The "s" is surely not from George. They look nothing like that. The seller should just cancel it for you, but you are protected either way. Ebay will always side with the buyer based on authenticity concerns. Most people dont realize this, but under buyer protection, you will always have the option to return an autographed item due to authenticity concerns. You dont need proof, just that you dont think its real. Ebay even pays for return shipping. Its for this reason that I ignore all of these "as is" sellers. There is no such thing when it comes to autographs.
The $48.56 question here is whether this is still true if the item has one of ebays designated TPA LOAs with it. It probably is, as they usually side with buyers at all costs, but they also put a lot of weight into these LOAs (and why is GAI still on there?)

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
The $48.56 question here is whether this is still true if the item has one of ebays designated TPA LOAs with it. It probably is, as they usually side with buyers at all costs, but they also put a lot of weight into these LOAs (and why is GAI still on there?)
Please note that GAI is no longer (and hasn't been) on Ebay's Prequalified Authenticator List. GA (Global Authentics) was grandfathered in.

From what I see, Ebay has no problems removing or Voiding GA/GAI auctions.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

IMO it seems to me when GAI had Mike Gutierrez I believe early on, they were very respectful and reputable in the hobby for authenticating autographs. I have a ton of graphs with the Gutierrez cert that are legitimate. And saw on the GA site they don't do graphs anymore...
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
I think the $48.56 question is Why is Lou Gehrig between AJ Burnett and whoever that Rick guy is???

Ken
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Perry Lin

Quote:
It does not matter whether it has an ebay approved TPA or not. If you don't think its real, you are entitled to a return and refund.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM

Well, it all worked out. I didn't have to pay and the auction was canceled. I'm bummed that I still need to find a Steinbrenner auto for my collection. I was happy with the price on that one as I'd like to stay around or under $100, but I want to be sure I get a good one. I do kind of feel bad for the seller. He said he got that auto in person. Either way, I'm sure I'll pay more to be sure. Thanks for all the help.