NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default I thought I had a tremendous find!

But it turns out, nope.
I stopped by an antique place today that I've been meaning to get to. Asked if they had any sports items or images. The guy says he's not sure. After browsing through several rooms, I came across a Mays poster (I'll post a new thread about that), and a CSC Dan Marino plaque. I told him about the forgery and we talked awhile. Then he remembers a box of auto'd cards he picked up a few years ago and brings then out. Over 100 and he had another box or two! I leafed through and found some certified issues and mostly 80's cards. He let me take home these to research. I'm not sure of about 4, (not shown) but....

It appears our FL gang has taken to using older cards to do give credence to their dirty work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg group048.jpg (79.9 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg group049.jpg (79.5 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg group050.jpg (78.1 KB, 400 views)

Last edited by Deertick; 04-24-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

The operative word was thought.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
But it turns out, nope.
I stopped by an antique place today that I've been meaning to get to. Asked if they had any sports items or images. The guy says he's not sure. After browsing through several rooms, I came across a Mays poster (I'll post a new thread about that), and a CSC Dan Marino plaque. I told him about the forgery and we talked awhile. Then he remembers a box of auto'd cards he picked up a few years ago and brings then out. Over 100 and he had another box or two! I leafed through and found some certified issues and mostly 80's cards. He let me take home these to research. I'm not sure of about 4, (not shown) but....

It appears our FL gang has taken to using older cards to do give credence to their dirty work.
If it is a forgery, their Reggie Jackson is really good.

Last edited by mschwade; 04-24-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
If it is a forgery, their Reggie Jackson is really good.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM

Default Delete post

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-24-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Stop, if there is real one I will pay double. OMG all the the same person. So Reggie must had fun forging everyone else.

Last edited by shelly; 04-24-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

The shapes of the Reggie is OK but it is sooo forced. Some of the others are laughable. Yuk!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

That Ryan is laughable.....though I think I'd be fooled by the Killebrew
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
The shapes of the Reggie is OK but it is sooo forced. Some of the others are laughable. Yuk!
You're right, but most don't even get Reggie's shape even close, especially the R, so I'm fairly impressed. The others in the picture just plain suck.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM
John Smithwick

I was struck with a feeling of deja vu. A number of these autos remind me of ones that came out of Ohio in the 1980s, done by a former batboy.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Jim M.arinari

Here are the three of the four I couldn't outright reject. Brock is bad, Killer I literally cannot see.
Some possible problems that bother me a little:
  1. Stan: The 'M' connects to the 'u'. the 'n' has a double hump.
  2. Cal: The 'al' starts too high on the 'c'
  3. Yogi: The start of the 'B' is a little low for normal
  4. Reggie: almost too smooth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg group051.jpg (78.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg group052.jpg (76.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg group053.jpg (78.4 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg group054.jpg (76.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg group055.jpg (72.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg group056.jpg (63.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg group057.jpg (38.8 KB, 194 views)
Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Jim, I agree about the Berra and will add that of the 14 or so Berra autographs I have (mostly all in person and some from his website) over the course of 25 years, non of them have that rounded an E or come across the B on the bottom quite so much or with such a gap between the bottom and the top of that cross over towards the E. I even have one that he signed a bit larger on a magazine to match the size of the Mantle that was already there and he didn't do either of those things. Heck, I got some from him just a couple of months after he had his major fall, and non of those were like that either.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Yogi always has a small, frugal autograph. I've never seen him sign that large on a card. In addition to the letter formation problems you mentioned, that caught my eye instantly.

The Brock actually looks good, and the Cal looks like a legit late 80's version. However, with as many awful forgeries that you've shown, I wouldn't touch a single thing out of this collection.

Last edited by dgo71; 04-25-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Yogi always has a small, frugal autograph. I've never seen him sign that large on a card. In addition to the letter formation problems you mentioned, that caught my eye instantly.

The Brock actually looks good, and the Cal looks like a legit late 80's version. However, with as many awful forgeries that you've shown, I wouldn't touch a single thing out of this collection.
My problem with the Brock: Most of his 'B' s start with a downstroke and the 'r' has an extraneous loop.

As I said before. the Cal is a really tough call for me, only because I have never seen him start the 'a' that high. It is actually touching the 'C'. If someone has an example, it might be the tipping point.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Looks like the forgers have gotten worse. The Pujols and Snider are laughable
Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I dont think these where from a modern day forger. This could have been done by five year old trying to learn to write. Meaning sloppy and just plain bad.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default Here are 3 I think are good

Two I'm pretty confident, one a little iffy, one bad. I'll let you guess which 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg group058.jpg (77.0 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg group059.jpg (61.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg group060.jpg (52.9 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg group061.jpg (55.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg group062.jpg (64.2 KB, 159 views)
Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Looks like the forgers have gotten worse. The Pujols and Snider are laughable
What about their use of "high end" cards. This isn't something I see a lot of. Some are chase cards that would sell for $20+ if they weren't defaced.

Also some of the older cards were in NRMT-MT condition, not the type you'd typically see TTM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

The only one I thought had a chance was the Glavin. I dont know these guys but was just comparing there autographs that where certed to those above.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:29 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
the Cal looks like a legit late 80's version. However, with as many awful forgeries that you've shown, I wouldn't touch a single thing out of this collection.
Absolutely not a late 80's version. His autograph was no where near this abbreviated in the late 80's. More like the style of a late 90's to current version.

Quote:
My problem with the Brock: Most of his 'B' s start with a downstroke and the 'r' has an extraneous loop.

As I said before. the Cal is a really tough call for me, only because I have never seen him start the 'a' that high. It is actually touching the 'C'. If someone has an example, it might be the tipping point.
Ripken is by far the largest part of my collection. I agree with you in that I have never seen the "a" touching the "C". Also of significance is the curve of the lower part of the C. This is inconsistent with his "C" that typically tapers out at the bottom becoming more linear or flat, and I believe that it has always been that way.

Last edited by timzcardz; 04-25-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: correcting for my fat finger syndrome
Old 04-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:

Totaly agree. Why would you go near that garbage. Every signiture is qustionable.

Last edited by shelly; 04-25-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
What about their use of "high end" cards. This isn't something I see a lot of. Some are chase cards that would sell for $20+ if they weren't defaced.

Also some of the older cards were in NRMT-MT condition, not the type you'd typically see TTM.
None of those are $20+ cards or high end cards.

The guy who has been penning these got kicked off ebay a few years ago and then moved over to Overstock auctions. I'm sure Chris has documentation about the original seller. His items are found on ebay from time to time from people who thought they got a good deal and are looking to flip.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFAUTOS View Post
None of those are $20+ cards or high end cards.

The guy who has been penning these got kicked off ebay a few years ago and then moved over to Overstock auctions. I'm sure Chris has documentation about the original seller. His items are found on ebay from time to time from people who thought they got a good deal and are looking to flip.
Yeah, these weren't, but there were some 1/5, 1/10, etc in the box. You know the "Platinum super double dog dare non-refracting refractors". And there were a number of company issued autos that had low pops. I recall McCovey, Ortiz, Hamilton and some basketball hockey and football players that I wouldn't know if they introduced themselves.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:

These are 5-10 cent commons at best
Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
These are 5-10 cent commons at best
Brent, I am aware of that (although .50 to $5 would be more accurate ). I was speaking about some of the hundreds of others that were in the boxes. I only pulled a few examples of ones I knew were bad and some I wasn't sure of, based on the clarity of the autograph.

When I brought them back I told him that based on the ones I looked at (and the opinions of those on here):
Some were definitely authentic (5-10%) The bulk of which were company issues.
Some were likely authentic (5%) No big value to any of them
The bulk were fake (85-90%)

The rest (other sports) most likely fell into the 95/5 bad/good ratio and weren't worth looking at due to the Stinson Rule.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Absolutely not a late 80's version. His autograph was no where near this abbreviated in the late 80's. More like the style of a late 90's to current version.
I have over 40 in-person Cal's ranging from 1987-present, so I may have mny time frames wrong. Definitely older than his current version, these days he has far fewer letters and a bigger J.

FWIW I have several in-person Lasordas that look like the one posted as well.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
FWIW I have several in-person Lasordas that look like the one posted as well.
Yup, pretty confident on the Lasorda and Glavine. I have found a few examples that match the Yount, but it is atypical. Francona is a dud.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

The Yount has all the characteristics of his graph. He's one of those guys that signed a bunch as a player, and under so many varying circumstances, so it'd be hard to be swayed one way or the other by subtle variances. Was he sitting down, standing up, walking, in a crowd? Hard to say without knowing the circumstances around when it was signed and under what conditions. That said, I don't hate it, but I'd probably wait for a different one.