NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Christopher Williams

Default Mickey Mantle 2012 Topps 1/1 Autograph

Here's another hack job by the Topps company on a Mickey Mantle cut autograph. But the point I want to make here is that the below card is a "1/1" card.

Why the heck would Topps do a hack job like this on a alleged rare "1/1" cut autograph!!!??? I just don't get it. Where the heck are the quality control managers? I wrote to the Topps about this and hopefully they will reply.

Mantle11-2.jpg

Mantle11.jpg
Old 07-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Scott

DISGUISTING, and people bidding on that are IDIOTS. First, its artificially created. That of course is for the chase , despite the inherent lying in the 1/1 classification.

WORSE yet, its NOT even complete, as Chris said.

Sometimes, greed and stupidity reigns in the hobby, and these two rather unpopular qualities are both present here.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Why the heck would Topps do a hack job like this on a alleged rare "1/1" cut autograph!!!??? I just don't get it. Where the heck are the quality control managers? I wrote to the Topps about this and hopefully they will reply.
Why should they pay good (or even bad) money for quality control managers?

Thanks to MLB they're the only game in town. Therefor, with or without quality control, they are still the best in town.

Yes, Upper Deck had their legal and moral issues, but I still liked the results of the competition. I actually preferred UD's design to Topps, but wihtout the competition I believe that Topps has gotten real lazy.

On a positive note, I am spening a lot less on newer cards and focusing more on the older ones.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 AM

Yeah, that's a poor job on their part. It shouldn't be that hard for them to find a smaller sig to fit their design.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i think the "1/1" designation is for the fact it's missing part of the M and e. you won't find another mantle sig like that.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 PM
James Wymer

Isn't every autograph 1/1? I know that they are promising to never make another card exactly like that one, but it just seems stupid to me to pay a premium for a hack job.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 07-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
Isn't every autograph 1/1? I know that they are promising to never make another card exactly like that one, but it just seems stupid to me to pay a premium for a hack job.
+1
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i think the "1/1" designation is for the fact it's missing part of the M and e. you won't find another mantle sig like that.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Dave

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-A-N-T-L

Old 07-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Banned

since the e in mantle is almost all cut off anyway, they could have moved the sig over even more and saved the capital M, but they aren't that smart.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Steve Zarelli

Or they could have rotated it diagonally and gotten the whole thing in. I suppose "straight and level" is more important than "complete."
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Or they could have rotated it diagonally and gotten the whole thing in. I suppose "straight and level" is more important than "complete."
The more important thing is feeding the beast. The beast being the people who chase these cards in the hope that they can find someone else to sell them to after they buy them. That is all these cards are for. I don't know anyone who actually collects them.
It is the 21st Century version of the Dutch Tulip Craze.
If Topps can produce cards that look like this, and many look worse, it is because they hold the people who chase them in complete disdain, knowing that those people will buy virtually anything and so called quality control means nothing.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-04-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I always wanted a genuine Mickey Mantl.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Christopher Williams

Here's another "2012 Topps" hack job on another Mickey Mantle cut autograph and another "1/1."

bigg-2.jpg

bigg-1.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 07-06-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default not the end of the world

Hey Guys,

I will probably have stones thrown at me for my opinion on this but thought I would voice my opinion anyway as I am a glutton for punishment.

I share the basic thought with most of you in that I hate to see a vintage piece cut down to make a card.
HOWEVER, I don't think it is the end of the world as it "hooks" the next generation of collectors. Whether you want to admit it or not, a large percentage of autograph collectors, at one time, probably started collecting cards or at least did it at the same time(I know I did as a child).
I think that exposure to these autographs of vintage players(retired or dead), keeps the new generations interested in them. They then figure out that instead of paying 2k for this, they can buy a vintage gpc for the same price.. or a baseball...which keeps the autograph hobby strong. Seeing a "newer" mantle cut from a less than stellar photo does not bother me so much when I think of it this way. It is not like Mantle is a tough signature to begin with where it should be on the endangered species list.
Just my thoughts... now JUST REMEMBER...People who live in glass houses should not throw stones..

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
The more important thing is feeding the beast. The beast being the people who chase these cards in the hope that they can find someone else to sell them to after they buy them. That is all these cards are for. I don't know anyone who actually collects them.
It is the 21st Century version of the Dutch Tulip Craze.
If Topps can produce cards that look like this, and many look worse, it is because they hold the people who chase them in complete disdain, knowing that those people will buy virtually anything and so called quality control means nothing.
Thank you Richard
Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Default JimStinson

I will take it one step further in saying that the autographs themselves to the "new" or uninformed collector mean nothing , Its the COA that comes with the autograph that holds the value. Or should I say ......."perception" of value. This has never been more obvious than in the e-bay listings that tout "authentication" companies in the description headline instead of the team the player played for or what his contribution to the game was.
Sorry but again I speak of the "old days" when I used to watch people at card shows carry off unopened boxes by the caseload with the mistaken theory that remained unopened for as long as the 1950's issue Topps that they too would be worth as much. Wrong ! Look at the actual selling prices for Williams & DiMaggio alone. Not much more than when they were alive and well....maybe less. Sorry but its the truth.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Hey Guys,

I will probably have stones thrown at me for my opinion on this but thought I would voice my opinion anyway as I am a glutton for punishment.

I share the basic thought with most of you in that I hate to see a vintage piece cut down to make a card.
HOWEVER, I don't think it is the end of the world as it "hooks" the next generation of collectors. Whether you want to admit it or not, a large percentage of autograph collectors, at one time, probably started collecting cards or at least did it at the same time(I know I did as a child).
I think that exposure to these autographs of vintage players(retired or dead), keeps the new generations interested in them. They then figure out that instead of paying 2k for this, they can buy a vintage gpc for the same price.. or a baseball...which keeps the autograph hobby strong. Seeing a "newer" mantle cut from a less than stellar photo does not bother me so much when I think of it this way. It is not like Mantle is a tough signature to begin with where it should be on the endangered species list.
Just my thoughts... now JUST REMEMBER...People who live in glass houses should not throw stones..
I totally disagree that this is the case. I cannot believe that kids who get exposed to a $2000 Mantle chase card actually then turn around and want to buy a Mickey Mantle autograph gpc or ball.
--
Old 07-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I totally disagree that this is the case. I cannot believe that kids who get exposed to a $2000 Mantle chase card actually then turn around and want to buy a Mickey Mantle autograph gpc or ball.
Thank you for your Input Richard

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Wayne Walker

Yeesh, the 2012 Topps one is particulalry terrible (I assume that is the second one shown in this thread, as the images are not showing for me for some reason). These cards should not be made at all if the auto itself must be chopped in order to do so, but there is no telling any manufacturer that. I'm sure they care on some level (I am a former baseball editor at Topps), but the people who design the card are separated from the people that choose photos/edit, who are separated from the people who procure the auto, who are different from the people who cut it and place it in the card frame. It's a remarkably dissipated process to make a baseball card.

Just don't forget that these are baseball cards, and people like baseball cards. I can get a photo of Albert Pujols from 2001 and put some stats and a nice bio on the back, but people prefer the same with a Topps logo on it. Weird, huh? Clearly it's the same for autos. Lots of people dig a manufacturer's logo. And when they are done correctly, with respect for the auto and a nice design aesthetic, I will and have bought these in the past (see my photobucket link for a few examples). These Mantles do not fit that description.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Scott

Those cut cards, esp when they literally are "cut" are garbage, at the very least being how they are artificially inflated value wise.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Richard Simon

They are cut into garbage. I would not attempt to sell an autograph that looks like that Mantle. It is horrid. My customers would not want it.
And talk about artificially inflated value,,, Ghost, don't even use the word value as that implies it is something that has worth to it. I will always fail to see the worth of these things.
The stupidity of the marketplace for these things never fails to amaze me.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-08-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Wayne Walker

I have to laugh when you guys call the value for these "artificially inflated," as if any autograph or baseball card has any intrinsic value whatsoever. The value of each and every thing we discuss on these boards is "artificial." If someone will pay 1200 bucks for it, than that's what it's worth, even if you or I won't.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I have to laugh when you guys call the value for these "artificially inflated," as if any autograph or baseball card has any intrinsic value whatsoever. The value of each and every thing we discuss on these boards is "artificial." If someone will pay 1200 bucks for it, than that's what it's worth, even if you or I won't.
I would have to agree that everything we buy and sell here has no real intrinsic value, however IMO the greater fool theory would apply to these artificially created chase cards, with their so called shortages. The demand for these has been artificially inflated by creating what the card companies like to call shortages.
I do not think the greater fool theory would apply in a case of a vintage item with a limited supply that has not been artificially created by an external force and with a real history of demand.
--