NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Greatest Infomercial Ever

Tom Vu. Love how he insults all of the people he's pitching to. And WTF is with the women in the background???

http://youtu.be/kzsSpDyBc_4

And the parody version:

http://youtu.be/HveMAHf2UBg

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Barry Sloate

The actor doing the In Living Color parody is Steve Park, who played Tommy Wu as a recurring character on the show. I've seen it many times but had absolutely no idea he was mocking a real infomercial. I thought he just made up the character. The real Tommy Vu is a riot.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:15 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Vu is great, but for baseball cards it has to be don west.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:10 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

On the old Canadian sit com The Red Green Show the wannabe entrepreneur character Winston regularly listens to tapes from the fictitious financial guru and life coach 'Anthony Anthony.' When another character questions following the financial advice of a television informercial advertiser, Winston says, "No, Anthony Anthony knows what he's talking about. He's made millions of dollars from selling his tapes."

Last edited by drcy; 11-09-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
On the old Canadian sit com The Red Green Show the wannabe entrepreneur character Winston regularly listens to tapes from the fictitious financial guru and life coach 'Anthony Anthony.' When another character questions following the financial advice of a television informercial advertiser, Winston says, "No, Anthony Anthony knows what he's talking about. He's made millions of dollars from selling his tapes."
The Red Green Show is one of my all time favorites.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:32 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I've joked "You learn all about humanity from reading Shakespeare and watching The Red Green Show." Red Green fills in the parts missed by Shakespeare, including the psychotic forrest ranger, the pathological liar ferry boat captain and the monster truck aficionado. And where else but Red Green could you learn how to convert your lawn mower into a coffee maker or your old clothes washer into a ice cream maker. For the record, the clothes washer ice cream maker invention worked except Red Green learned afterwords he had forgotten to take out the dirty socks. His old toaster to computer disc drive invention worked, except when you turned off the computer the disc drive would shoot the disc across the room. Most of his inventions work, but not as intended and, of course, involve a plethora of duct tape. Or as he calls duct tape, "The universal adapter." According to Red "You can do anything if you have enough duct tape." In fact, they had an episode when he suffered severe withdrawals when the lodge and local stores ran out of duct tape. "I'm sorry I lost my temper with you there, but I've been eight hours without duct tape."

If you're from LA or NYC you might not get the show. The key is if you're from rural Iowa, Minnesota or Alberta you have known people exactly like the show's characters. The show even had a guy living in an underground bunker in the woods waiting for the chaos of 2000. He wouldn't leave it and was self sustaining, but wouldn't mind if brought him some groceries once in a while because he would get tired of eating mushrooms and drinking rain water.

Last edited by drcy; 11-09-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I've joked "You learn all about humanity from reading Shakespeare and watching The Red Green Show." Red Green fills in the parts missed by Shakespeare, including the psychotic forrest ranger, the pathological liar ferry boat captain and the monster truck aficionado. And where else but Red Green could you learn how to convert your lawn mower into a coffee maker or your old clothes washer into a ice cream maker. For the record, the clothes washer ice cream maker invention worked except Red Green learned afterwords he had forgotten to take out the dirty socks. His old toaster to computer disc drive invention worked, except when you turned off the computer the disc drive would shoot the disc across the room. Most of his inventions work, but not as intended and, of course, involve a plethora of duct tape. Or as he calls duct tape, "The universal adapter." According to Red "You can do anything if you have enough duct tape." In fact, they had an episode when he suffered severe withdrawals when the lodge and local stores ran out of duct tape. "I'm sorry I lost my temper with you there, but I've been eight hours without duct tape."

If you're from LA or NYC you might not get the show. The key is if you're from rural Iowa, Minnesota or Alberta you have known people exactly like the show's characters.
I am in South Dakota and yes I know people just like those characters in Red Green.

When they done a pledge drive on PBS several years ago I donated enough to get one of the vests they wear at the meetings. Steve Smith done his stand up routine at the Corn Palace a couple years ago and I wore my vest, it was funny because everybody was looking at me trying to figure out if I was a cast member.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:23 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

For the unininitiated in The Red Green Show and Canadian backwoods humor, the show's mentally unstable forrest ranger giving the audience 'expert' advice on snakes.

You tube club: Ranger Gord on snakes

Interestingly, the character's psychosis and emotional instability has basis in fact. His job is being manning and living alone in a remote forrest fire watch tower and the extended solitude of such situations is known to cause mental problems, if just temporary. 'Cabin fever.'

Last edited by drcy; 11-11-2014 at 12:54 PM.