NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-25-2015, 06:05 AM

Default Lou Gehrig Autograph?

This is a preview of the new Auction Hunters episode tonight:

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/68t...cebook_auction

It looks like a rough signature either way on what may be a team ball. What is your opinion? Real or fake?
Old 04-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Brock

Looks good to me.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Bernie

Default Lou Gehrig

It looks like this ball was auctioned recently, BST, with a JSA Cert

http://www.bst-auctions.com/1937-Wor...al-LOT673.aspx
Old 04-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
It looks like this ball was auctioned recently, BST, with a JSA Cert

http://www.bst-auctions.com/1937-Wor...al-LOT673.aspx
Are you saying these "reality" shows are set up, say it ain't so!!!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Bernie

Default It (is/ain't) so ???

The cert is dated Sep 2014, sale took place on Feb 2015, so it depends on when the episode was filmed. I recall someone mentioned the Ball was listed on eBay before the BST, with a dealer (not a casual seller) but I can not verify.

It does make for an interesting provenance, or real good advertising (self promotion) . I want to watch the show now.....
Old 04-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Real

It's real.

Mike
Old 04-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Bernie

Default Gehrign ball and signature

I have to say it is a bold signature, perhaps a bit stronger than Gehrig 7 in Keurajian's book (p120) I have not tried to price the Gehrig ball, this one is not great, but also is not bad. EBay lists them in the $4k-$6Kk range (but fish are not biting at this price)

This one went for about $1650. Is that the "going market rate" or was this an aberration. ( There is a solid Lazzeri as well on the ball, but, according to the cert, JoeDM and Lefty are ClubHouse)?

I found the show listing and plan to watch it tonight.

Last thought: Let's assume that the "reality" is "somewhat staged" and this ball may have been put in the locker for promo purposes. How far would the producers go to make sure they put a legitimate ball in play? (This is why I am interested in the timing of the filming vs the cert.....
Old 04-26-2015, 02:52 PM
Bernie

Default Bottom Line

Having looked at the ball, the cert, the postings, I believe the ball is real. The show, I am not so sure.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/tly...s-worth-10-000
Old 04-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Steve Zarelli

Those storage unit "reality" shows are a total joke. In my opinion, they are almost all staged. How many times have we seen priceless rarities stashed in the same lockers that are brimming with cheap plastic toys, broken MDF furniture and musty clothes? Does that make any sense?
Old 05-04-2015, 04:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Those storage unit "reality" shows are a total joke. In my opinion, they are almost all staged. How many times have we seen priceless rarities stashed in the same lockers that are brimming with cheap plastic toys, broken MDF furniture and musty clothes? Does that make any sense?
Plus, basic logic. If someone wasn't going to (or couldn't) pay their storage bill, why in heck wouldn't they go there and grab up all the valuable stuff before they were shut out from the unit for good????

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Steve Zarelli

Yep. Can't afford the $99 a month, but has $50,000 worth of four wheelers and a copy of Amazing Fantasy 15.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Bernie

Although the logic is sound, not 100% effective. A possible, not high probability, explanation: Owner passed away, no known heirs, or heirs may not know about the storage space.......

Having said that, Anderson, Bench and 1937 NYY WSC balls and nothing else? Hard to visualize the collector's logic. Might have been more believable with balls of the same age, same team, HOFers,.... but this is definitely an eclectic mix.

Since the cert (auction) was done in Sept 2014, and the episode is believed to have been filmed in Nov, it is even harder to connect dots...
Old 05-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Although the logic is sound, not 100% effective. A possible, not high probability, explanation: Owner passed away, no known heirs, or heirs may not know about the storage space.
While this may happen on rare occasion, certainly not nearly enough to fuel weekly episodes a half dozen or so shows.