NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 PM

Default George Wilson Integrated Ball 1907

I picked up this postcard a while back, but was able to do some research recently that seems to make it a much more significant item. The postcard is a real photo postcard of the Manitowoc WI semi-pro team of 1907. The team played in the Lake Shore League. As you can see one of the players is black. Some research indicates that the player was George Wilson, a well known player who had pitched with the Page Fence Giants and whom Sol White stated in his 1907 book was one of the best black pitchers of the era. I was able to find microfilm of a local paper covering the team and was struck by two issue (1) there was little made of a black player staring for a small town team in rural Wisconsin and (2) his dominance, the game reports indicate that he was basically pitching ever game and giving up about 3 hits per nine innings. It seems odd that such little is made of such early integrated ball. Has anyone else heard anything regarding the player, team or any other early integrated teams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wilson.jpg (37.5 KB, 191 views)
Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 PM

I previously had an image of this same Manitowac team with George Wilson. I believe it was also 1907 but it was a studio setting. Sure like your outdoor stadium image though.

In the north it apparently wasn't all that uncommon. I just picked up a 1933 scorebook of a black team. There are some old newspaper articles in it and one of them talks about how one of their pitchers (Nip Winters) had just been released by this black team and then signed with an all-white team. He was scheduled to pitch his first game which was to be against his former black team. The black team also played in an otherwise all-white league. These teams and players were still a novelty but seemed to be somewhat accepted in the north.

Rob M.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 PM

Rob

where do you keep finding these scorebooks-- If I remember correctly you also have a score book with a number of homestead grays games-- would love to see some scans

Jason
Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 PM

I've been meaning to get something posted on the Pick Up thread but haven't got around to it. Will try soon.

I have an 1904 scorebook with some games against the Cuban Giants (its currently down at the Negro League museum but trying to get it back) and also an 1895 scorebook that has 3 games against the Cuban Giants, including Frank Grant. Also a 1920's to 1940's scorebook with some games against the Homestead Grays and Havana Red Sox (and one game of the Homestead Grays vs. the Baltimore Black Sox). Another 1930's with games against the Memphis Red Sox, K.C. Monarchs, Jacksonville Red Caps, St. Louis Giants. And lastly, a 1933 scorebook of Chappie Johnson's Chappies team (mentioned in my previous post). They were playing in an all-white league that year. He had several players that were past their prime on the team (i.e. Nip Winters, George Cheatham, Louis Santop) but still was a pretty big draw back in the upstate New York area.

Rob M.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:18 AM

Here's a look at the Manitowac image that I used to have:

Rob M.

1907 Manitowoc 2.jpg
Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 PM

Here's a shot of the Chappie's scorebook and the article about Winters playing for a white team.

Rob M.

DSC01137_crop.jpg

IMG_0021_NEW.jpg