NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Hunt Superbowl auction winnings

I'm starting this thread without knowing if I won one item, two items...or nothing. This was the most baffling auction I've ever participated in.

I think I won a 1920's football - I placed a live bid, then was outbid by the floor, then that bid was retracted meaning I won, but now the results show the floor bid as the winner

I also think I might have finally won a Knute Rockne autograph - I was the high internet bid at $900 on a signed book, but during the live auction one bid was placed for $908, which was indicated as the winning bid, and it wasn't me. Then I see my bid as the winning bid in the results, at $900

I've enjoyed Hunt Auctions immensely over the years, but the above, plus watching several floor bids that ran the bid up on internet bidders, then waited for 2-3 fair warnings, then were retracted, and topping it all off is the second consecutive year of NFC Championship footballs with, to put it mildly 'issues'...I'm kind of turned off by them. I gave them the dope on the balls this year - they should have at least pursued the problem, and probably should have made a note of the issues in the internet lot descriptions.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:41 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Default I didn't get anything....

But I noticed the auction was featured on eBay, so there were previously unexpected bidders getting in on the action via eBay's new live auction feed. I watched about 50 lots in the middle, and it was interesting to see. I did notice a lot of floor bids being retracted, and I couldn't understand why they'd accept retractions from the floor. Did those bidders get suspended/evicted/lose their card?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Matt

I ran a few auctions on live auctioneers a few years back .. Everyone once in awhile the person operating the computer part put a bid in my mistake . You have to remember the Internet bids go in automatically but the live bids are manual so there can be mistakes, not an actual retractions .. I doubt hunt would allow retractions .
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 02-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

As long as the auctioneers understand what is going on. But given how bad it looks to those bidding live over the internet, they should consider different sodtware. I have seen live auction gaffs, but never live bid retractions. I could excuse one or two.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Tim C

Default Hunt Auctions

I won 2 items, 1951 nfl championship program and some Steelers GU footballs from the 80's. I followed and bid through eBay. I thought the bid retractions were strange as well. I also thought it was interesting they would show lots as passed, start auctioning the next item, then all of a sudden be back on the previous items after other items were sold. The Jim Brown Jersey was one of these Items, they passed on it, then came back to it and it went for over 50k. Guess they wanted to wait for the right bidder!

I probably would have won more lots, but eBay didn't take my bid several times. At least 3 items went for less than what I was trying to bid.

i was definitely happy to add the championship program, the gu balls were just because they went cheap enough.

Tim
Old 02-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcornett View Post
I won 2 items, 1951 nfl championship program and some Steelers GU footballs from the 80's. I followed and bid through eBay. I thought the bid retractions were strange as well. I also thought it was interesting they would show lots as passed, start auctioning the next item, then all of a sudden be back on the previous items after other items were sold. The Jim Brown Jersey was one of these Items, they passed on it, then came back to it and it went for over 50k. Guess they wanted to wait for the right bidder!

I probably would have won more lots, but eBay didn't take my bid several times. At least 3 items went for less than what I was trying to bid.

i was definitely happy to add the championship program, the gu balls were just because they went cheap enough.

Tim
That's strange - I was bidding online, but not through ebay. Sometimes when you bid in a live auction through ebay, you pay an additional premium. Hopefully that didn't happen to you, since you could have bid straight through Hunt.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:49 PM
Tim C

Oh great, didn't even realize I could have gone straight to Hunts. I stumbled upon the auction searching eBay, so I assumed this was the only way to bid.
I just checked their website for the results, and it states prices include 15% buyers premium, that is what I was charged, so I guess I got lucky. ( if you consider paying 15% extra lucky!)

The invoice came directly from Hunts, and not through the normal eBay channels.

Tim
Old 02-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcornett View Post
Oh great, didn't even realize I could have gone straight to Hunts. I stumbled upon the auction searching eBay, so I assumed this was the only way to bid.
I just checked their website for the results, and it states prices include 15% buyers premium, that is what I was charged, so I guess I got lucky. ( if you consider paying 15% extra lucky!)

The invoice came directly from Hunts, and not through the normal eBay channels.

Tim
Good to hear!

Well, funny - I didn't get an invoice, so I suppose neither of my high bids, either the live one or the one stated on their website, were actually the high bids. I had a near-miss with an improperly-described item in their last auction, so there are at least two strikes now.

Good photos, honest descriptions, minimal auction hiccups and great customer service are paramount for auction houses. But many of them still aren't getting it.