NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-15-2015, 08:33 AM
Joe

Default American Pickers

I’m a big fan of “American Pickers” – yeah, I know it is all scripted – but the items are real. Was watching a rerun episode last night, that actually showed some sports memorabilia/equipment. It’s rare they ever show much sports related, and if so it’s not profiled and is something very common. I get it – it’s not their area and probably doesn’t appeal to the masses in the audience like most of which they profile.

This was Season 8, Episode 7, entitled “Mad as a Picker” (the one where they pick for “Dolly Word”). In this episode the guy has a hoard of everything imaginable as he decorates for restaurants (you know – the stuff nailed to wall in “Fridays”). While nothing sports related at all was mentioned in the episode (aside from Dave Ohrt buying a cool large Trophy), the camera momentarily scanned shelves of sports items including, bats, gloves, trophies, skis and snow shoes, etc..

It’s a shame they don’t profile a few more sports items in the series. Even when they may show interest and pick through some sports items, I imagine it ends up of the editing cutting room floor and we never see it. In a few episodes they mention sports related items sell quickly in their store (which I am not sure is real or not, or even if the store is real). I haven’t seen all episodes, and perhaps there is one that profiles some sports, but it would be cool if they could devote an episode to Sports. It wouldn’t be that hard and they could use the expertise of many of this board to help stage and produce it.

Here is a picture of the bats they quickly showed last night for 2 seconds, but made no mention of them.

image.jpg

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 01-16-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Ron V

Joe, I was watching this last night as well and wished they went through some of the bats. I would love to see what kind of bats are in there. That guy had a ton of stuff, some pretty nice advertising signs too.

This reminded me a few years back I was at a flea market and this older lady had a bunch of old bats in the trunk of her car. I couldn't of moved quickly enough to get over there. Unfortunately they were all softball bats and beat up little league bats
Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Jim Murphy

looking at the knob shapes, colors etc, a lot of the bats here are Little League and or softball bats. Some of the older looking ones are the same. They just look like they spent time out in the weather
Old 01-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
looking at the knob shapes, colors etc, a lot of the bats here are Little League and or softball bats. Some of the older looking ones are the same. They just look like they spent time out in the weather
No doubt Jim, looks like mostly junk as the guy did say he gathered much stuff from garage sales, but would be nice if they staged a scence where a gem is pulled from the pile. Who knows, could be one in there??
Old 01-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

FWIW the show isnt staged....at least my dad's episode wasnt. And their (I mean Mike's) stores are real.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
FWIW the show isnt staged....at least my dad's episode wasnt. And their (I mean Mike's) stores are real.
Michael, that's encouraging to hear, because I am addicted to the show . Which episode was your dad's? I'll look it up and watch.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

He was in "Dani Smells a Rat Rod" original air date 11/06/2013.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-01-15-20-37-13-1.jpg (20.9 KB, 739 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-01-15-20-37-48-1.jpg (20.9 KB, 740 views)
Old 01-16-2015, 07:08 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

My main issue is the prices quoted are not accurate for most regions and sellers, though they may be for them. Also they list what they are going to sell the items for but never what they actually sell for.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:52 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

My assumption is they may post sold price if it actually sells before final editing. They filmed 8 hours one day in July and the episode aired 4 months later. One of the biggest misconceptions is Mike and Frank are in business TOGETHER. Thats not the case at all. Mike ownes both stores (Antique Archaelogy) in Iowa and Nashville. Frank has his own business, Frank Fritz Finds.

Granted I only witnessed 1 day of their interaction but I got the assumption that the thing that brought these guys together is slowing tearing them apart. Both are great guys, easy to talk to and friendly. My dad has known both of them years before the show got started. I remember him telling me about these guys he knew that just drove around in the country trying to buy stuff.

Mike did admit that they dont run into sports memorabilia as much as you may think and that he didnt know alot about it because "so much of its reproduced."

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 01-16-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Joe

[QUOTE=ruth-gehrig;1367644].. I remember him telling me about these guys he knew that just drove around in the country trying to buy stuff.
QUOTE]

Interesting. I did read they are not on the best of terms. I think another misconception is that at times they drive around freestyling in their famous white van or that they drive across country and far distances together. I imagine in the day that was true, but I read freestyling doesn't exist (not a surprise as they have multiple vans of production equipment and they are not going to knock on some random door and start filming), and they don't actually drive anywhere together - they won't be in any van together unless staging a driving scene chatting to Danielle on the phone.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:28 PM

I love this show...

Great 3 part article, read the whole thing.

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/ba...tor-mike-wolfe
Old 01-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Joe

Really good new episode aired tonight. The highlight for me is they actually spent some meaningful airtime picking a few sports item, and of all things a nice flannel uniform from c1920 - right in my wheelhouse!! It appeared to be a cadet or suncollar uniform with a nice team patch and a Carr tag and a nice Honus Wagner Sporting Goods Co. tag. Mike bought it for $50, but said he would have offered $100. The rare Wagner tag makes the uniform and puts it's value at about $300.

They also bought an 8x10 baseball team photo from 1908, mounted on cardstock - $25 and worth about $30. Finally they bought two what looked like 1930s tunnel web gloves in rough condition - $70 for both which is about what they are worth.

image.jpg

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 01-28-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Joe

Here is a pic of the 1908 team photo....

image.jpg

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 01-28-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Dan Bretta

My brother ran into Frank gassing up at a gas station here in Lincoln about 6 months ago. He talked to him a bit and said he was a nice guy.

I once asked Mike Wolfe about a "A Yard Of The National Game' panorama that I noticed he purchased on the show, but it was only a handshake and a quick shot of the photo, they never spent any time discussing the piece at all. He told me that they (he and Frank) have no idea what's going to air and what won't. He couldn't remember what he paid for it, but said he had it sold before he even bought it...I guess they've got a buyer for old baseball memorabilia.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:07 PM
Joe

That's very interesting. I imagine they know ahead of time what they are going to buy, especially good pieces, so not surprising good pieces are pre-sold. Also interesting they have less say on what is shown. That panorama definitely would have been worth some discussion - that's $1,000. Surprised Mike didn't remember the value, and that the producers didn't show it - a lot better than some of the crap they show.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:24 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
I love this show...

Great 3 part article, read the whole thing.

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/ba...tor-mike-wolfe
Great article, thanks for sharing.

Jeff
Old 01-29-2015, 06:20 AM
John Hanssen

(((((((Really good new episode aired tonight. The highlight for me is they actually spent some meaningful airtime picking a few sports item, and of all things a nice flannel uniform from c1920 - right in my wheelhouse!! It appeared to be a cadet or suncollar uniform with a nice team patch and a Carr tag and a nice Honus Wagner Sporting Goods Co. tag. Mike bought it for $50, but said he would have offered $100. The rare Wagner tag makes the uniform and puts it's value at about $300.

They also bought an 8x10 baseball team photo from 1908, mounted on cardstock - $25 and worth about $30. Finally they bought two what looked like 1930s tunnel web gloves in rough condition - $70 for both which is about what they are worth.))))))))

did you catch the very, very brief shot of one of the guys holding a baseball card. I was the back of a MAYBE 53 topps but it was so quick and I haven't had time to re-watch as yet.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:09 AM
Nick C

I gotta find this episode as I forgot to record it.

One of my favorite shows. History channel has some great shows.

-Nick
Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocentral View Post
I gotta find this episode as I forgot to record it.

One of my favorite shows. History channel has some great shows.

-Nick
You mean like Moonshiners? Jim Tom and Roy crack me up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 135215492786513861600801197_201OldTimersAndNewTimers-1.jpg (21.1 KB, 265 views)
Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Chuck Tapia

I'd like a signed still from Jim or Tom? or maybe a nice single signed Popcorn Sutton baseball?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Joe

I actually caught a bit of Moonshiners for the first time last night. I lasted about 15mins before I couldn't take it any more . It's pretty bad and worse than the Appalachia show about ginseng. My wife yelled at me to turn it off as she can't stand watching "rednecks doing stupid things".
Old 01-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Tony. Biviano

Default Storage Wars.

One night this week I was watching storgaw wars where one of the characters on the show, IVY, found a box of tobacco cards. When he dumped them out there were all sorts of cards including T206s. The lot was appraised at $1300.

Last edited by cammb; 01-29-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Mike

I'm tired of this show and don't watch it very often anymore. How many signs, oil cans and motorcycles can they show week to week ? All filled with rust !!! I'm interested in paper collectibles therefore no more interest in this show.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:13 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
(((((((Really good new episode aired tonight. The highlight for me is they actually spent some meaningful airtime picking a few sports item, and of all things a nice flannel uniform from c1920 - right in my wheelhouse!! It appeared to be a cadet or suncollar uniform with a nice team patch and a Carr tag and a nice Honus Wagner Sporting Goods Co. tag. Mike bought it for $50, but said he would have offered $100. The rare Wagner tag makes the uniform and puts it's value at about $300.

They also bought an 8x10 baseball team photo from 1908, mounted on cardstock - $25 and worth about $30. Finally they bought two what looked like 1930s tunnel web gloves in rough condition - $70 for both which is about what they are worth.))))))))

did you catch the very, very brief shot of one of the guys holding a baseball card. I was the back of a MAYBE 53 topps but it was so quick and I haven't had time to re-watch as yet.
Not that it matters much but curiosity got the best of me while watching the repeat of this broadcast tonight.... The Card in hand was a 1959 Topps #271 Orlando Pena.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8571-1959-To...item43b1588d1c