NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps 1959

I was contacted in apm by another poster about what oddities I had for my 1959 Topps set. Thought I would put it here and see if others can add to the list
-40 Spahn...3 different DOBs
-78 Ramos...top left front border irregularity..an overpriced on is constantly on ebay
-181 Portefield...with long errant green line on back in year column
-260 Wynn with botched i in pitcher on front
-313 House...with botched T in complete on back. He told me there may be another on missing back stats
-316 Lumenti...really Pasqual...option or not
-317 Hitting Kings...with or without a scribbled A above their joined shoulders...not hard to find on ebay
-321 Giallombardo...optioned or not
-322 Hanebrink..traded or not
-336 Loes...traded or not
-362 Nichols..optioned or not
-407 Drabowsky..with top front border irregularity..written up in SCD
-416 Haywood Sullivan...3 versions, with hardest being no period after A in USA on back
-199-286...white or gray backs

That's what I know about---any additions ?

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-24-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Larry More.y

A list of variations I maintain with help from fellow variation collector, Richard Dingman, listed several variations in addition to those that Al listed. These mostly all appear to be print variations of some sort. However, as previously discussed some of these print variations seem to command premiums (61 Fairly). I keep my list handy when going to shows, shops or sorting on my own. However, I myself have not seen all of these variations first hand.

Recently, one variation I came across myself and added to my list was the 548 card...I sold it to another variation collector who said this is only the second version of this card he has seen in decades.

59 Noren A. Green box slightly below bio box B. Green box exactly even with bio box
178 Amaro A. Normal B. Yellow blotch under last "s" in shortstop in front
240 Bauer A. Normal B. Gray back, Bauer in yellow letters
260 Wynn A. White back, left side stat box has break B. White back, left side stat box unbroken
330 Triandos A. Normal B. Missing stats under G and AB on back
350 Banks A. Green background B. Blue background
457 Dodgers A. # 482 is R. Meyer B. # 482 is Art Houtteman
548 Singleton A. normal B. missing print on Chicago
563 Mays (Sporting News) A. Normal B. On back red ink blurring name, Bazooka and tops of red rectangles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 548.jpg (77.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM

Hi. Thanks for starting/commenting in this thread. I've been a stamp collector for some time, so printing varieties and anomalies intrigue me!

Here is a pair of 313s (Frank House). From my searching on eBay and online, the top version with the missing 1954 and 1955 HR stats and broken frame line is more common than the bottom version with complete stats.

I haven't seen the botched "T" in "COMPLETE" so it's on my list. Cheers, Kevin

Old 05-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Al Richter

Default 1959

Kevin---good info. I had not noticed the missing stats. Ironically the 2nd version I have of House has a smudged, partially missing T in Complete on rthe back, and that one has the stats. So I guess you could have 3 versions, since yours has stats and no smudged T

Saved--I saw a article on the Bauer and it had a scan. Never seen it in person.

I have the Wynn with the blotted i in pitcher on the front. Where is the break in the stat box on the white back ?

Do you have or have you seen the blue Banks ?

My Dodgers 457 # 482 is Meyers. Do you have a Houttman ?

I have seen many defects like the Singleton in many sets, but not that card

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-24-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:25 PM

I was wondering if the Smudged "T" and full stats would be found together on a card; so I guess yes they can!

From my research, I think it may be possible to have the Wynn on grey or white back, with or without the "I" in PITCHER smudged on the front and with or without the frame line break on the back. That makes 8 possible variations (whew). The break is on the left side, to the left of 1944.

(This card is not mine, the image is pulled from an eBay auction)

Old 05-24-2013, 03:31 PM

While the back of the 416 Sullivan get a lot of attention for the circle/no circle and period/no period varieties, I also noticed a difference on the front. Maybe less pronounced than the Drabowsky or Ramos varieties, but this one is definitely repeated.

On some cards the lower left corner of the card is clean orange. On others there is a small rectangle - it almost looks like tape might have been used to hold things together early in production and this made its way onto the card (total speculation ?). Interestingly, I have only ever seen the rectangle on the no circle/no period and no circle/period varieties. Granted I have not seen too many of these. I have seen the circle/period (normal) variety with both the rectangle and a clean corner.

The left side of the scan shows no rectangle, the right side of the scan shows the rectangle.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Al Richter

Default Sullivan

Wow. Now how many Sullivans do you have to have them all
Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 PM

I noticed these recently, 1959 Elmer Singleton and 1959 Hank Sauer with excessive yellow ink along the bottom edge. Undoubtedly there are others with this printing flaw.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Al Richter

Default 59 Yellows

More good stuff Cliff

And Saved, wanted to acknowledge your reference to Richard Dingman. I have also shared info with him and his lists are a great resource. Dick Gilkeson is another
Old 05-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

Saved--I saw a article on the Bauer and it had a scan. Never seen it in person.

I have the Wynn with the blotted i in pitcher on the front. Where is the break in the stat box on the white back ?

Do you have or have you seen the blue Banks ?

My Dodgers 457 # 482 is Meyers. Do you have a Houttman ?

I have seen many defects like the Singleton in many sets, but not that card

Al, I have not seen the blue Banks. Both my 457s show Meyers.

Richard D. bought some cards from me a while back and I shared with him how much I enjoy his list of variations. He didn't realize that it was noticed, used and appreciated. Periodically, I have sent him some variation cards that I have come across and he has added them to his list.

Here is his site:

https://sites.google.com/site/richarddingmancards/home
Old 05-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Larry More.y

Default 416

I found two of the 416 cards I have, with no circle around the "C", also have the small darker colored rectangle box on the lower, left, front. Is there a correlation that if the C is missing the circle then the rectangle appears on the front??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 416 front.jpg (80.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 416 back.jpg (79.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 416 back b.jpg (79.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Al Richter

Default H Sullivan

Saved---just checked my 3 different back variations and all 3 have the little square mark
Old 05-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Al Richter

Default Dodger Team card CL 457

Can someone confirm...seen or have...the Houtteman versus Myers version mentioned above ?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Richard D

Default love this stuff!

Guys,
Just came across this discussion and am now referring to see what I have and what I don't and then to update my variation lists on my site referenced above.
Much appreciate all the discussion and input!
Keep it up, imagine this forum for each Topps and Bowman vintage years, and others!
Anyone willing to trade any of their extra variations, lmk.
All the best,
Richard Dingman
https://sites.google.com/site/richarddingmancards/home
Old 05-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Dodgers Team Checklist Variation

Hi Al,

You know I have my finger on the pulse when it come to Dodgers variations and the like. I have not ever heard of a variation for this particular card before but was cautiously excited to learn a new one might be lurking around out there. I spent some considerable time today asking some of my contacts if they've heard about or encountered this variation and no one had. At this point it would have to be filed in the 'I have to see it to believe it' want list. If it is indeed proven to exist it would be a great discovery and would undoubtedly have to be cataloged by the major publications, after all, that's more than just a glorified ink mark.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Al Richter

Default Variations

Richard--always good to hear from you

Joe-- the Dodger Houteman card if it exists would be a true variation and should be verifiable unless it is a rare proof error or an urban myth. I too consider it in same vein as the Toops 1962 Stamp of Sievers as an Athletic variation... need to see it. But it never hurts to ask