NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-03-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Viewing your sets more in binders?

I know there are people here that store their sets in binders and some in boxes, do you find you'll look at your sets more if there are in binders. Or, did anybody make the switch and finding they are looking at their sets more.

Right now, I have 1978-1985 Topps sitting on a shelf in boxes, I hardly ever look at them, I was wondering if it is worth the effort to put them in binders? I think I am getting an itch to pull down a binder and look at a set, just like I already do for some of my older sets.

Way back I decided to put my sets in boxes to save space, but finding out now I'm not really looking at them.

1986 to 1993, I am just planning to keep in boxes, mainly because the binders and sheets are likely worth more than the cards? Although, I suppose if you just want to view your collection and enjoy it, I suppose you could put these in sheets as well?

Last edited by jasonc; 06-03-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I only look at the sets I have in binders. But I also don't put a set in a binder unless it's almost complete, otherwise they are in boxes. I never look at the cards in the boxes until they get to the binder. Not sure about others, but that's me.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I only look at the sets I have in binders. But I also don't put a set in a binder unless it's almost complete, otherwise they are in boxes. I never look at the cards in the boxes until they get to the binder. Not sure about others, but that's me.
This ^^^
Old 06-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Tom

I have my sets in half top shoe boxes, with each card in a hard top loader. I like it this way so can add to the collection with out moving the cards around or keeping gaps in the collection like you would in binders. I can manipulate the cards anyway i like them. I look at them, especially since I put a lot of time and work into compiling the respective set.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:31 PM
€d M!££w00D

It is quite a coincidence that you started this thread because I was just thinking about this very thing this morning. I have gone back and forth multiple times between binders and sleeves/toploaders/boxes for a few years. I currently have all of my sets in binders. I can honestly say I look more at my cards in binders. The ONLY reason that I would ever consider going back to boxes is that I actually find the backs of the cards way more interesting than the front. I guess this goes back to when I collected as a kid and I learned so much about baseball and players from the backs (obviously pre-Internet days). It is more difficult to read the backs in sheets. Having said all this, I am planning to keep them in binders for the foreseeable future because it is just so much easier to access the cards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 06-03-2018, 03:34 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
+ 2
Old 06-04-2018, 04:31 AM
Bob F.

I sort of have the best of both worlds. My graded cards are all in boxes, but since I've scanned the front and backs of each and created digital albums (thanks PSA!), I can view them anytime I want from the comfort of .... well, anywhere.

My as-God-intended-them-to-be cards are in binders (front and back visible), so those are easy to leaf through as well, but I don't tend to since that would require me getting up from my comfortable place.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:38 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Cards

Bob
Did you get anything in REA?
Larry
Old 06-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Al Richter

To tell you that Larry he would have to get out of his comfortable place and go look.

Plus he has unopened packages in his basement from 1962

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 06-04-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
Bob
Did you get anything in REA?
Larry
No, but I tried...like really hard.

Congratulations on the results, by the way.

Last edited by bobsbbcards; 06-04-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Shane

I definitely think it is better to have sets in binders. You look at them more and it just looks more like a library when you have all of the sets archived. I have complete Topps sets from 2017 down to 1964 with all of the traded and update sets. I have them organized on the shelves and really like them that way.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Sam Lemoine

I have my sets in binders going back to the 1930's. If a card is part of a set that I have no intention to complete, then I will keep it in a box (which usually means that the card is graded). The only cards I keep in boxes are duplicates.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Steve

The utility and accessibility arguments are all pretty reasonable, but there is something about a stack of cards - ungraded and slightly sleeved - in an old box that does it for me. I store all of my sets in snap-together index card file boxes with tag slots for the name and year. I admit that I don't dig into the boxes as often as I once did, but I think more often than if the sets were in binders on a shelf - which, when I tried it, reminded me of the SOP manuals I was required to maintain and read at a workplace I loathed...maybe an unusual experience.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:33 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I have been enjoying this thread and wanted to keep it alive. I have been playing around with a 1965 Philadelphia football set and, to a lesser degree, a 1967 Topps baseball set. Like I usually have previously I started out keeping the ungraded cards in Cardsaver Is along with any slabbed cards for the set in a box, but I always felt like something was missing. Then this past Spring I went on a 1980s baseball set buying rampage (and a 1976 set). Nothing major really, just bought nice NM sets from my childhood. All of these multiple sets now reside in binders in Ultrapro 9 pocket pages, and I love them!

I hadn't put cards in binders since I was a teenager. In fact, I still had a set or two that has been in the same binder for 20-25 years with no ill effects. As OCD as I can sometimes be, I was pleased with how it all has held up and loved the look.

So I am going to start moving my 65s and 67s out of the Cardsavers and into binders and pages, too. My higher graded cards are getting sold off in favor of nice, crease free mid grade cards. I will also be doing some cracking out. I haven't enjoyed collecting this much in a long time!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 06-25-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Scott Russell

I gotta say, personally I love sets in albums. Also, as an auctioneer, sets always sell better in albums than they do in boxes. ALWAYS.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-26-2018, 08:09 AM

I have many sets in binders and for the most part is the preferred way to store cards. I've spent many hours thumbing through the pages. For the most part, I've kept them in binders so I can easily pick out variations.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:53 AM
Grant Rainsley

Default Sets

As mentioned previously, in a box until I am at least 2/3 of the way there....then make the decision on their destiny based on how much I like that particular set. '63 was a no-brainer for me for example, love that set. I found '69 left me a little bored, so when finished, they stayed into a box. I go through the binders regularly, and I haven't seen the inside of the boxed sets for years. So maybe 15 binders and 15 boxes. (I also look at those boxes and ask myself why I even started those sets!)
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 06-26-2018, 11:38 AM
Mark

I've posted this before, but I'm a strictly binder guy. I love pulling a set out and thumbing through them on a whim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171021_131515.jpg (76.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Fred

mark
beautiful set up there
Old 06-26-2018, 06:25 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I've posted this before, but I'm a strictly binder guy. I love pulling a set out and thumbing through them on a whim.
I never get tired of seeing that! Incidentally, it is helping me not go nuts right now. I am over the Atlantic on the way to Ireland. Do not like flying , and I doubt there are any card shops when I get there!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 06:56 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's great seeing certain subsets all together on a page or two, especially the all stars and (from 1972) the 'traded' cards. Great stuff to look at!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
Great collection!

I'd enjoy that as well, which I assume is real sweet being able to do just that.