NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Jon Canfield

Default Jeter Autograph Advice Needed - 3000 Game Ticket

I was lucky enough to be at Jeter's 3000th hit game, and even had the pleasure of sitting in "The Perfect Suite" with some former Yankee greats. As a die-hard Yankee fan, and someone who grew up watching Jeter play, the ticket means a lot to me. Ever since that day, I've wanted to have Jeter sign it. After much heartache (mainly over the price), I've decided to send my ticket into Steiner to have Jeter sign it. Here's my question to he board - where would you have him sign it, and what type of pen would you use... I've been told that I can select both.

The two obvious spots to me are along the bottom (maybe above the bar code) in a blue sharpie, or above the Yankee emblem (but under the circle) in a gold marker. That said, I'm also open to suggestions. Obviously once concern about using a gold pen is will it run/feather on the ticket service (has anyone gotten a ticket like this signed before), and what type of gold pen do you use? Is blue the better way to go?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 PM

Hi Jon,
That's a great question! I have gotten literally hundreds of no-hit tickets signed, so I guess I'm qualified to weigh in on this topic.

If it were me, I would have Jeter sign the ticket in blue (or black) fine-tipped (NOT ULTRA FINE-TIPPED!!) Sharpie in the lighter colored area at the bottom of the ticket.
I would also prefer that the signature not encroach on the date since that's important. I know that cost is an issue with Jeter, but I might have 3,000 added below the sig.

My best advice is to make several color copies of the ticket and look at typical examples of Jeter's sit-down sig. Experiment with blue and black colored fine-tipped Sharpies and simulate Jeter's loopy scrawl. Compare the options and choose what appeals most to your eye. I would then send VERY detailed instructions as well as the color copy with Jeter sig to the signing promoter that you like best to show him where and how you would like it signed. This will likely yield the best end result. Good luck, it's an awesome looking ticket!

As a side note, I had to go through this process carefully when it came to getting my Sandy Koufax perfect game ticket signed a couple of years ago. Cost and the end result were very important to me. Mr. Koufax was a pro and did a perfect job. Here is how it turned out as a final product:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sandy Koufax signed perfect game ticket.jpg (68.0 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-02-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Jon Canfield

Scott-

Thanks so much for the very thoughtful response. When you say fine tip, are we talking about a regular blue sharpie?

As for the 3000 hit notation, cost was a factor. I hate to admit the price, but just getting Jeter to sign the ticket costs $550. To add the 3000 hit designation is $400 more!!! I know most people will think that the price is insane (it is), but it's my stub, from the game I attended, so the sentimental value outweighs the financial cost. That said, I'm not sure it's worth $400 more for the designation!

- Jon
Old 12-02-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Scott-

Thanks so much for the very thoughtful response. When you say fine tip, are we talking about a regular blue sharpie?

As for the 3000 hit notation, cost was a factor. I hate to admit the price, but just getting Jeter to sign the ticket costs $550. To add the 3000 hit designation is $400 more!!! I know most people will think that the price is insane (it is), but it's my stub, from the game I attended, so the sentimental value outweighs the financial cost. That said, I'm not sure it's worth $400 more for the designation!

- Jon
Hi Jon,

You're definitely welcome! No, the Sharpie says "Fine tip" on it, not "Ultra Fine-Tip". Regular is too fat, especially if it has been used to sign several items. My Koufax perfect game ticket was signed in "fine tip" for comparison purposes. Buy a few different Sharpies with different thicknesses and experiment for yourself.

$400 to add 3000?? Someone call the cops!!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

For starters, let me say I'm really sorry you're a yankees fan...

That being said, this is a pretty cool memento. What I think would look best is exactly what you said: Gold Paint Pen, but I'd want it above the circle. The problem is, paint pen is easy to smear. If he takes his time and gets it right, it'll look FANTASTIC. If it smears, well, you're out of luck.

There is no way I'd pay a man $400 to write "3,000." Heck, I'm probably going to get slammed by the purists on this, but before I'd pony up the money I'd get an artistic friend of mine to write the 3000 in there for me. Nobody is going to know, and I can't imagine you'll be selling this.

Ken
Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
For starters, let me say I'm really sorry you're a yankees fan...

That being said, this is a pretty cool memento. What I think would look best is exactly what you said: Gold Paint Pen, but I'd want it above the circle. The problem is, paint pen is easy to smear. If he takes his time and gets it right, it'll look FANTASTIC. If it smears, well, you're out of luck.

There is no way I'd pay a man $400 to write "3,000." Heck, I'm probably going to get slammed by the purists on this, but before I'd pony up the money I'd get an artistic friend of mine to write the 3000 in there for me. Nobody is going to know, and I can't imagine you'll be selling this.

Ken
Ken is correct about the smearing issue. I would also add that paint pens require that they be shaken up really well to avoid skipping. I personally cringe whenever I have to use them on something that I can't replace. The cost of the project would eliminate this from my thought process. Sharpie's are a more reliable pen, bottom line. They work terrific on tickets.

BTW, do they still even make gold paint pens?
All I ever see is silver Sharpies these days at places like Office Max...
Old 12-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Ken is correct about the smearing issue. I would also add that paint pens require that they be shaken up really well to avoid skipping. I personally cringe whenever I have to use them on something that I can't replace. The cost of the project would eliminate this from my thought process. Sharpie's are a more reliable pen, bottom line. They work terrific on tickets.

BTW, do they still even make gold paint pens?
All I ever see is silver Sharpies these days at places like Office Max...
I actually believe Sharpie makes gold and bronze, in addition to the silver pen. If I go that route, I'd probably use the gold sharpie pen. That said, my biggest concern was smearing as well. Blue seems safest to me.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I actually believe Sharpie makes gold and bronze, in addition to the silver pen. If I go that route, I'd probably use the gold sharpie pen. That said, my biggest concern was smearing as well. Blue seems safest to me.
I agree Jon!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:

$400 to add 3000?? Someone call the cops!!!!
The poor guy is dating a 23 year old bikini model, he needs the dough I guess to take the lady out to nice places.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 PM
qu@n nguy3n

jon, on sportscollectors.net, there's a guy organizing send-in for the steiner jeter signing, price is:

Cards: $350
Balls/Photos: $400
Equipment: $450
Inscriptions: $375

he does good job and has sent in a bunch of mo riveras into steiner for other members. if you want his contact lmk, of course it's always safer to send in directly to steiner but if you want to save a few bucks i can put you in contact with him. i'm sending him a couple items for the ewing signing.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Hey Jon. This probably won't be a popular suggestion but I would NOT get that ticket signed as the layout is just not conducive to Jeter's loopy signature. Plus I don't trust metallic markers and that deep blue graphic will not lend itself to a blue sharpie ( always my preference when getting stuff sighed). Lastly I would not have it signed in black. IMHO black is a terrible ink color and will not look good on that ticket. I would pair the ticket with a nice signed 8x10 or 16x20 in a frame and enjoy both the ticket and the memory via the image...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Scott-

- Jon
Truth be told, that's less than what I would have guessed. I inquired a few years ago about adding him to a multi-signed photo and was quoted $650.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

The problem with black or blue is that you often get fading. Blue can turn turquoise and black can get yellowy.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:31 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
jon, on sportscollectors.net, there's a guy organizing send-in for the steiner jeter signing, price is:

he does good job and has sent in a bunch of mo riveras into steiner for other members. if you want his contact lmk, of course it's always safer to send in directly to steiner but if you want to save a few bucks i can put you in contact with him. i'm sending him a couple items for the ewing signing.
Chad - where did you see that at? I didn't see it in the Private Signings or the Message board for Private signings.

Thx,
Matt
Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
The problem with black or blue is that you often get fading. Blue can turn turquoise and black can get yellowy.
I've never had blue change color on a ticket yet, FWIW. That being said, I don't have these autographs exposed to light over a long period of time. I agree 100% on the black sometimes turning yellowy.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:37 AM

I don't know about the Luxury Box tickets, but the regular season ticket holder tickets (the ones with the players on them) are really smear prone. My dad and I want to get Mariano Rivera to sign his last appearance ticket and did some practicing with some of our spare tickets. The smear factor was huge. And even worse was getting traction at all for the ink at the beginning of our signatures.

I recommend taking a dry eraser to the area you're looking for Jeter to sign. It should buff off a lot of the gloss. Be generous with the size of the area just to be sure.

Last edited by packs; 12-03-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Jon Canfield

Thanks for all of the responses guys. This is all very helpful. Chad - appreciate the info. Unfortunately I already paid through Steiner, so no turning back now. That said, I was also told that 3000 hit pieces are more expensive, so that may be the difference in price.

As for signing, I still would like to get the ticket signed, and even though I think gold might look most viably appealing, I think I'll go the safe route and do blue. I'm also leaning to do it towards the bottom - certainly under the date, but hopefully above the bar code.

Great suggestion on erasing (I have a good gum eraser) the area I choose. I will do that.

Last edited by canjond; 12-03-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Chad - where did you see that at? I didn't see it in the Private Signings or the Message board for Private signings.

Thx,
Matt
it's under gauging interests...or just do a "jeter" search and it'll show up, from member mikeyanks13.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
it's under gauging interests...or just do a "jeter" search and it'll show up, from member mikeyanks13.
Thanks Chad, that's the first time I've seen the gauging interest section. Appreciate the heads up!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
The poor guy is dating a 23 year old bikini model, he needs the dough I guess to take the lady out to nice places.
There's actually a website that ranks Jeter's girlfriends. Not by how they look, but in order of how he batted during the years they were together. Only in New York I tell ya. LOL.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Joel

Quote:

I inquired with Steiner about pricing on a 1993 SP and they quoted me $500.

For $350 I might take the plunge.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Kevin O'Gara

I'm a huge yankees fan, but these rat bastard ball players can kiss my behind. Never in my lifetime am I paying those prices...
Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM
octavio ranzola

you can find certified jeter autos on ebay all day long ,,I don't judge people for what they do but it is insane ,,,just my two cents
Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Outlandish and deplorable.... he should sign for free, given what he's making in salary and endorsements. I can see paying a lot of cash for a rare/deceased player.... but these guys will be signing for another 50 years.

The number of available Jeter autos could be in the hundreds of thousands before he's done signing.... maybe over half a million, depending on his agents' level of greed and Jeter's availability.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:01 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Outlandish and deplorable.... he should sign for free, given what he's making in salary and endorsements. I can see paying a lot of cash for a rare/deceased player.... but these guys will be signing for another 50 years.

The number of available Jeter autos could be in the hundreds of thousands before he's done signing.... maybe over half a million, depending on his agents' level of greed and Jeter's availability.
Very true...I mean I guess it's the old adage...you don't HAVE to pay the price...but come on!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:39 PM

Default jeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Very true...I mean I guess it's the old adage...you don't HAVE to pay the price...but come on!
Would I pay it no. That being said what is your time worth to do something you probably do not enjoy doing ?
Old 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Jeff

As long as there are sheep, the shearing will continue.
We get what we are willing to accept.
Why would he sign for less when people line up for it?

Is it piggish, to me yes. Obviously not as much so to others.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFautosChris View Post
Would I pay it no. That being said what is your time worth to do something you probably do not enjoy doing ?
Ohhhh... Poor baby! He doesn't enjoy doing it.

Every cent of his salary comes directly from his fans. He owes them. He can give a bit back.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Jonathan Sterling

On your original question if I were given the option of pen I would always choose a ball point blue. It dose not run and if cared for will not fade. I am a card guy basically and I wonder why so many autograph guys prefer a sharpie. The Koufax ticket and it is nice but I have a 1963 postcard signed in black fountain pen that is nice and looks the same as the day Sandy signed it. I have a 66 Topps Mantle signed in pen that I would choose any day over the same card signed in any sharpie. IMHO
I was also at the game but in my regular seat in the bleachers. Enjoy Your ticket.

Jonathan
Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
On your original question if I were given the option of pen I would always choose a ball point blue. It dose not run and if cared for will not fade. I am a card guy basically and I wonder why so many autograph guys prefer a sharpie. The Koufax ticket and it is nice but I have a 1963 postcard signed in black fountain pen that is nice and looks the same as the day Sandy signed it. I have a 66 Topps Mantle signed in pen that I would choose any day over the same card signed in any sharpie. IMHO
I was also at the game but in my regular seat in the bleachers. Enjoy Your ticket.

Jonathan
Jonathan,
I'm with you on preferring ball point and fountain pen on most mediums.
On index cards, balls and vintage baseball cards I completely agree.

On modern photographs and tickets I prefer fine-tip sharpie for two reasons:

1) Typically they apply an even, great signature with terrific contrast or "pop".
However, if the Sharpie is too wide, it can sometimes look trashy

2) Ball point pen can skip during a signature if it's not of good quality or the signer doesn't check to make sure that the pen is working properly

Bottom line: This is definitely a matter of preference. As a collector, whatever appeals to you the most and what makes you happy is what you should collect.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Jonathan,
I'm with you on preferring ball point and fountain pen on most mediums.
On index cards, balls and vintage baseball cards I completely agree.

On modern photographs and tickets I prefer fine-tip sharpie for two reasons:

1) Typically they apply an even, great signature with terrific contrast or "pop".
However, if the Sharpie is too wide, it can sometimes look trashy

2) Ball point pen can skip during a signature if it's not of good quality or the signer doesn't check to make sure that the pen is working properly

Bottom line: This is definitely a matter of preference. As a collector, whatever appeals to you the most and what makes you happy is what you should collect.
Completely agree with Scott
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Jeff

You should probably check, there may be an upcharge for a certain kind of pen.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."