NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Default Any Mastro Winners Tonight - Memorabilia?

Posted By: Mark

As far as Memorabilia offerings, it always seems to me that Day 2 of Mastro is the better day. Not sure why it always happens that way.

Day 1 was unusual, with some pieces going low, and some quite high. Were there any Mastro winners tonight? Obsevations / thoughts?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: keyway

Sold a couple of items. One did OK but the other went kind of low. No buying last night.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Loved the 1910-1920's Boston Red Sox sweater. Well out of my price range, but it sold for a tad under $13k (without commission). I would have thought it would sell for $20k.

Also loved that 1930 Philadelphia A's tie-clasp/ring which sold for about what I expected.

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=76988&LastLotListing=All%20My%20Bids%20Gallery

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=76402&LastLotListing=All%20My%20Bids%20Gallery

I didn't pick up anything last night (nothing I was seriously going after), but there are a couple lots I am looking at for tonight.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

I'm amazed at the prices realized by Ruth and Gehrig's "retired numbers," lots 20 and 21, which brought $20,226, and $21,238 respectively, without the juice.
Yes, they did hang at the Stadium, but there's not a shred of evidence that they were ever removed from game-worn uniforms, and it has never been claimed by anyone (even in the Mastro auction description) that they were.
In fact, it is highly unlikely that they were ever part of a full Yankee uniform, game-used or not.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator

David:

I did not understand those realized prices either. Maybe if you had frequented Yankee Stadium and personally saw these hanging, they would have more significance or emotional value.

I don't know... with the pending demolition of Yankee Stadium, it seems there might be lots more stadium artifacts being made available soon.

Tonight will be interesting. But (as a West Coast guy) I sure wish Mastro would go back to their "old" closing format.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

They hung in the Stadium Club, Mark.

Peons like us native Bronx boys never got up there.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Administrator

I'm with you, David... that is nuts! These material swatches are not game-used, not autographed, not even game-issued, and they realized over 20K each?

Must be a very exclusive Stadium Club over there in the Bronx! For the same money that one of these commanded, you could have had the Red Sox Sweater, Lou Gehrig Single-signed Ball and about $5,000 left over!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Old 12-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

All too expensive for my budget, as usual.
The Sox sweater was nice. Lelands had one a couple of years back. This one seems to be missing it's sash (?).

Old 12-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I did not win.... I think I had an early bid....
I thought this item would have been way too cool to have in my home.

So I figured I would share the image over here....

1935 Golf Ball Vending Machine

Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Rob.... Nice.... I know you wanted that rare pin - very cool!

I won just one lot... I liked this Charles Conlon original close-up shot of Matty. Especially nice is the inscription on the back (in Conlon's hand) making reference to the aging apparent on Matty's face.

I was also tempted by the Managers Caricature Fan (lot 1266). Probably will never see another in that condition. I had my finger on the button, but for some reason, couldn't pull the trigger.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Mark, you and I continue to share similar taste! I was watching that managers fan too, but I couldn't figure out where I would place it in my display room, so I passed (probably a couple ticks above what I would have considered a bargain for it anyway).

I was also watching that Black Betsy bat, which looked beautiful, but with the bat having been refinished and restored, I shied away from it (and judging by the final price, so did alot of people).

I did end up getting one of the two sports-related lots that I went seriously after: the 1906 NY Giants scorecard, but I was the underbidder on the George Senesky Warriors basketball jersey. I couldn't afford both! That jersey will go in the "ones that got away" category, as it would have been a perfect addition to my basketball display and I'd been looking for a Warriors road jersey from that era for years.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Terrific pickup, Aaron... that is a beauty.

I am really having some remorse over that Managers Fan today. I think there were 2 factors that kept me from bidding...

Money- obviously (this time of year is just insane for spending)

Framing (Mastro couldn't give me a clear explanation of how it was adheared to the mat). Even though the framing job was tasteful and beautiful, I couldn't see how the fan could be affixed to the mat without an adhesive or tape. This would have to alter/compromise the piece, wouldn't it? Wouldn't any tape or adhesive stick to the paper, and leave marks/residue, if removed?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Mark, yes money is a big problem! November/December auctions are always tough as I try to budget each year's worth of collecting spending beginning in January, and I am invariably over that limit by the end of the year.

On the framing, I had my Hal Chase "A Fan For A Fan" framed and held in place using thread (no tape or other adhesive). I thought the framers really did a great job with it. I'll try and post a picture of it.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Aaron....

Thanks.... would be very interested in seeing your Hal Chase Fan and the frame job!

Old 12-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Nice pickup Aaron!

I was shocked to see what the Boston-NY World Series scorebook sold for. I just don't get it (nor do I get where people get all of this extra cash to spend on a Ted Williams cap, but I digress...)

Best,
Greg

Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Holy crap on some of those WS program prices! I bought that 1912 Giants/Red Sox program with a detached cover in a Lelands auction a couple years ago for about $750. Red Sox memorabilia is really going through the roof.