NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Ted Henschel

Default Opinions on this Babe Ruth Baseball That Came in the store today

A customer brought in this baseball signed by Babe Ruth and others. It looks a little shaky to me but I wasn't sure. Supposedly it has been in the family since the 20's or 30's and in my customers possession since the 60's. I also couldn't figure out the other signatures on the ball. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth ball.jpg (13.6 KB, 357 views)
Old 09-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Looks awful IMHO
Old 09-23-2019, 11:22 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That one made me spill my coffee. Dreadful childish fake!

Last edited by perezfan; 09-23-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:30 AM
keith janosky

Directly from Coachs Corner in my opinion
Old 09-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Scott Russell

I checked the calendar to make sure this wasn't early April.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-23-2019, 11:47 AM
Ted Henschel

Thanks for the opinions. I had told the customer I would double check for him even though I had my doubts. The era of the baseball matched the time frame when he signed with the quotations. I wonder if it was a faded signature that someone had traced over.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsnutcards View Post
Thanks for the opinions. I had told the customer I would double check for him even though I had my doubts. The era of the baseball matched the time frame when he signed with the quotations. I wonder if it was a faded signature that someone had traced over.

No chance
Old 09-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Ted Henschel

I finally a way to upload the other pictures. Any idea on the others? Or who they are trying to make them look like?

Old 09-23-2019, 02:16 PM
Andy H

Bottom on the middle is Ban Johnson I'm guessing and that doesn't look anywhere close either.

My GLAC collection (1/240):
https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...gned-postcards
Old 09-23-2019, 02:36 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

The first one in your post #8 looks like it could be Henry L. Doherty, the founder of CITGO Petroleum.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 09-23-2019, 02:50 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

OK, don't jump all over me on this, hear me out. That Henry Doherty on the other panel rang a bell with me. Back in the teens and early 1920's the Doherty Silk Company in Paterson, NJ had one of the hottest semi-pro teams around, called the "Silk Sox." Henry Doherty, Jr. inherited the company from his Dad and Junior was a baseball fiend. He went about forming a team that would boast many ex-big leaguers, college players and some who even got their start from playing with the Silk Sox - Milt Gaston comes to mind, as he was discovered during a Silk Sox-Yankees exhibition game.

Many of the major league teams and negro league teams played them - including Babe Ruth when he was with the Red Sox and Yankees. Because the Silk Sox played all kinds of teams, there is a possibility they would have hosted one of Ruth's many barnstorming teams.

I'm not saying this is real, because it does look pretty thick and off, but that Henry Doherty on the side panel got me thinking...
Old 09-23-2019, 03:21 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

In response to Gary's post above, the interesting thing is, the Henry Doherty Jr who owned the Doherty Silk Company, was born in 1879 in Passaic, New Jersey. His father was apparently born in Cheshire, England in 1850.

The Henry Latham Doherty who founded the Cities Service Company, that became CITGO Petroleum, was born in Ohio in 1870; so the Henry Jr who owned the Silk Company and the Silk Sox, was not the son of Henry L. Doherty of Cities Service (CITGO). Henry Latham Doherty did live in New York City for several years.

I found an old stock certificate, and a photo of Henry Latham Doherty of CITGO, and it matches the signature on the baseball.

It is possible, that the Henry Doherty Jr of the Silk Sox, was related to Henry Latham Doherty of CITGO, but they were not father and son.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 09-23-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:26 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

They were 2 separate people, same name. Henry L. Doherty, Sr. founded the silk company and ran it up until after the (in)famous Paterson Silk Strike of 1913, with Henry L. Doherty, Jr. being the father's successor after his death around 1915 or so.

If it is your Henry Doherty, I wonder if there was some kind of Babe Ruth - Cities Service Company promotion in which they gave away balls like this.

Last edited by jerseygary; 09-23-2019 at 03:31 PM. Reason: adding
Old 09-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Brendan Mullen

All the others may be legit. None of the others may be legit. But the Ruth is without question a completely laughable forgery.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightfan85 View Post
Bottom on the middle is Ban Johnson I'm guessing and that doesn't look anywhere close either.
The Ban Johnson is stamped onto the ball. It is an American League ball which would include his stamped signature in the 1920's. I just noticed he died on my birthday. Many years earlier though.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 09-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Brock

Nevermind

Last edited by yanks12025; 09-24-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:31 PM
Richard Simon

Almost hard to believe that someone would try to palm off something that bad.
Could be two old legit sigs on an obviously legit ball and the owner of the ball thought he could pull a fast one?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-25-2019, 11:13 AM

Ruth signature looks like it was gone over (enhanced) years ago by someone with little artistic ability. I would bet a legit (or clubhouse) vintage Ruth had faded from handling over the years and someone went over it to try and still have a Ruth ball. Probably an innocent enhancement and not an attempt at a forgery but the end result is the same which is that signature is not Ruth's.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Ruth signature looks like it was gone over (enhanced) years ago by someone with little artistic ability. I would bet a legit (or clubhouse) vintage Ruth had faded from handling over the years and someone went over it to try and still have a Ruth ball. Probably an innocent enhancement and not an attempt at a forgery but the end result is the same which is that signature is not Ruth's.
+1
Old 09-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Casey

If the story holds true it would still be a fun collectible. These history stories are fun...
Old 09-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Brendan Mullen

Ruth signature looks like it was gone over (enhanced) years ago by someone with little artistic ability. I would bet a legit (or clubhouse) vintage Ruth had faded from handling over the years and someone went over it to try and still have a Ruth ball.

No. Ruth wouldn't sign that low on the sweet spot nor would he start his signature that far to the left of center (of the sweet spot)...
Old 09-26-2019, 02:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Ruth signature looks like it was gone over (enhanced) years ago by someone with little artistic ability. I would bet a legit (or clubhouse) vintage Ruth had faded from handling over the years and someone went over it to try and still have a Ruth ball.

No. Ruth wouldn't sign that low on the sweet spot nor would he start his signature that far to the left of center (of the sweet spot)...
I agree with this. In addition, the "e" in Babe is way off, and there is no indication of the real version underneath (if it was indeed traced over).