NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-07-2019, 10:36 AM
J@RR0D

Default Ruth Signed Ball - An interesting story...

EDIT (3/1/2021): I'd originally made this post only to ask if the Ruth was legit or clubhouse (it's legit). Now I'll elaborate.

Awhile back, a client of mine (retired lawyer) had seen all of the signed balls and photos in my office. He told me "I've got a ball at home signed by Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig!" Well, I'm sure we all think the same thing when we hear that from a non-collector, "Mmmm hmmm, you've got a fake ball." He said he'd bring it in and show me one day, and a couple of months later he did. He said "Keep it for a few days and tell me what you find out about it."

The story behind the ball is his mother was a schoolteacher and taught a fellow who went on to play for the Washington Senators. All he remembered was the name was "Weaver". I began doing some digging, and figured out that would've been pitcher Monte Weaver who played for the Senators in the 1930s. Then I began analyzing all of the readable signatures, and found something very interesting. Here is an excerpt from the letter I gave him about my findings:

Based on the readable signatures, the ball was signed in 1934 by members of the New York Yankees and Washington Senators. I can’t make all of the signatures out, but here is who I can see for certain:

Yankees: Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Lefty Gomez, Eddie Phillips

Senators: Johnny Stone, Ossie Bluege, Luke Sewell, Alex McColl, Monte Weaver, Fred Sington, Jake Powell, Ed Linke, Joe Kuhel

To me, the most interesting signature on the ball is Fred Sington. While he wasn’t a remarkable player, his signature on here dates the ball precisely. Fred made his baseball debut with the Senators on Sept 23, 1934, near the end of the season. The only time after that the Yankees played the Senators that season was on Sept 29 & 30. That means this ball was signed on one of those two days, as Babe Ruth “retired” from the Yankees at the end of the season (he came back the next year as a player/manager for the Boston Braves before officially retiring). So I can be fairly certain in saying this ball was signed on September 29 or 30, 1934 at Griffith Stadium in Washington DC.

So this was likely one of the last balls Ruth signed as a Yankee! What an amazing piece. The owner and his sister used to toss it around in the backyard as children, but luckily most of the signatures survived. The ball will be given to his children and is 100% not for sale (I offered!), so I have no stake in this. I just wanted to share this cool story of a notable ball.

Here are some more photos.

Last edited by scmavl; 03-01-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Brendan Mullen

good
Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 AM
J@RR0D

Thanks Brendan, I think so too. Not a lot of people offering opinions these days, but the clubhouse B's, R's, and h's are usually a little different. It's a beautiful ball (not mine) with wonderful provenance that I've dated to a two day window that it was signed. The owner asked if I could give him some insight into it, as it was his mother's and he knew where/who it came from, but not exactly when.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:32 AM
Brendan Mullen

No worries, it's 100% good.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:35 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Wow beautiful ball!
Old 03-01-2021, 07:47 AM
J@RR0D

I just added the full story on this very neat ball.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:13 AM

Very nice, especially The Sandlot part of the story. Great ball.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:49 AM
Casey Melchionno

Agree with Brendan, both Ruth & Gehrig are both authentic.