NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

Default Chris Berman

Why on Earth ESPN continues to include Chris Berman among its U.S. Open golf coverage is beyond me. What a freaking moron.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Jim D

i like Berman when he does football, haven't seen his golf coverage, I don't think his type of swag would carry over though.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
i like Berman when he does football, haven't seen his golf coverage, I don't think his type of swag would carry over though.
I never liked Berman with his football work either, he is overrated and mostly an annoyance to me.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

Check out the "Origin" section of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_with_me,_leather

I own one of those T-shirts, by the way.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:52 PM
qu@n nguy3n

classic stuff. also check out the behind the scene stuff on MNF when he was the anchor, what a tool. espn seemingly exist in their own little world up there in bristol and alot of these overexposed anchor guys think they can do whatever they want...berman, stuart scott, tirico, salisbury, etc etc it's a very effed up situation.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Bob.T*th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Why on Earth ESPN continues to include Chris Berman among its U.S. Open golf coverage is beyond me. What a freaking moron.
I agree 100%. Who thought it was a good idea to put this idiot on t.v.? Worse yet, somebody still thinks it's a good idea. I tried to watch some golf but this fool makes me want to gouge my eyes out and plug my ears with them.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I agree. Just horrible.

He is really, really bad at golf coverage. really bad.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Dave

I like Berman and despise golf as a spectator sport...............so it's all good to me.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 AM
MikeHealer

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, I almost feel embarrassed for him. The more he talks the more apparent it is how little he knows about the game and it's history.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Jeff

Berman's schtick was funny for a small period of time, kind of like the first few times your kids fart in front of company but it ceased being entertaining years (and I mean years) ago.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Not to pile on (actually I don't mind at all this time)

I can't stand Berman. Jeff is right;his oh so clever nickname schtick was amusing very briefly--more than twenty years ago. He has turned into a caricature, and is not just bad, but annoyingly bad. I won't watch his NFL pregame show, and usually hit the mute if he is actually "reporting" a sporting event.

Stu Scott and his uber-hip, look at me, I'm using all street lingo schtick grew tired some time ago as well. Some of these ESPN guys are just waaaaay too full of themselves.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I can't stand Berman. Jeff is right;his oh so clever nickname schtick was amusing very briefly--more than twenty years ago. He has turned into a caricature, and is not just bad, but annoyingly bad. I won't watch his NFL pregame show, and usually hit the mute if he is actually "reporting" a sporting event.

Stu Scott and his uber-hip, look at me, I'm using all street lingo schtick grew tired some time ago as well. Some of these ESPN guys are just waaaaay too full of themselves.
C'mon Todd. Don't be such a hater!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Hey Jeff

I actually went on to "discuss" Tim McCarver and Thom Brenneman, since they were on, hurting my ears, while I made the last post, but decided to delete it. Earlier this week, I also deleted a lengthy post on that whiney Jeff Van Gundy and that nothing-to-add-but-I'll-talk-anyway Mark Jackson.
I'm going to try and be more positive--not so much a curmudgeon.

I like Bert Blyleven and Dick Bremer of the Twins. I'm sure there are others. I'm really not a hater
Old 06-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Jeff

Oh, I am with you. McCarver may well be the worst. Who on earth does he think he is fooling with that dye job anyway.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:52 PM

I thought Chris Berman's name game was somewhat amusing when I was in college, but that was 20 years ago and he's doing the same act! It's like with knock knock jokes-- the first three or four in a row may be amusing, but after that it starts to get old fast.

Last edited by drc; 06-19-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Jim D

i guess i don't see him enough to get sick of him, I hate Joe Buck, does that count for anything?

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 PM

Dick Vitale acts like a 7 year old class clown.

Last edited by drc; 06-19-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Jim D

I never understood that Tony Kornheiser either... biggest idiot ever on Monday night football.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:19 PM

I agree. My dad thinks he is the worst. I don't think there should ever be three announcers. Two announcers can say all there is to be said, and there's nothing left but irrelevant stuff for the third. On MNF the third is often there to act like comic relief (See Dennis Miller).

Last edited by drc; 06-19-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Jeff

To me the whole thing is that with the advent of ESPN and 24 hour sports and sports-dedicated channels the hosts/announcers/talking heads now consider themselves to be a part of the story and the entertainment. How else do you explain things like the ESPYs? Let's create a meaningless award so we can put ourselves on TV. Hey the sheep have lapped it up and the reporters have become the news. I have no use for any of them really.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM

I agree with you. ESPN considers the commentators to be their own act.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM
David G

Default tony K

Kornheiser is horrible - it was great to Aaron Rodgers call him out for the buffoon he is
Old 07-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Jason

Default Berman has become...

a bit of a cartoon character of himself, don't you think?
Lovable buffoon are the words that come to mind. You know, the off-base uncle that you always have to invite to family events...not quite Uncle Buck, but heading in that direction.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Tom Boblitt

But you gotta love those ESPN commercials. They have the best commercials.........Lebron James chair being taken, Tony Romo answering the phones at the front desk, Drew Brees trying to drive the RV through the front gate. Priceless........Berman doesn't bother me too much but I think by now I've learned to tune him out. I don't like Kornholer either whoever brought that one up. Erin Andrews, on the other hand.................
Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Barry Sloate

My favorite ESPN commercial featured two people in the foreground chatting, and 7' 7" Gheorge Muresan standing behind them changing fluorescent light bulbs without a ladder (very tall people do come in handy sometimes).
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Jeff

Default Commercials

I'll give you guys that. Whoever their ad agency is, they do brilliant work for the most part. Its the "talent" and the network's overall sense of self-importance that has worn on me.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 PM

hrbaker (and one or two others) have it nailed....berman's act got "tired" along time ago. i suppose he is tolerable doing football, but golf?! my goodness! a travesty.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Dave Foster

Default Chris Berman

If you're a sports fan - any sport - hell would have to be enduring a booth troika of Berman, McCarver and Joe Buck. They'd never STFU! I've often wondered how your old man could be Jack Buck and you could be the complete antithesis of his broadcasting excellence. I used to turn the volume down on Monday Nite Football, watch the video, and listen to Hank Stram and Jack Buck call the game on the radio. Simply the best! As for Berman, his high water mark was the Nutra-system ads.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Patrick N.

Default Bills

I get sick and tired of Berman pulling for the Bills each year and making predictions that this COULD be their year, etc.. So whenever they start off 1-0or something he gets his panties in a bundle and then of course they end up with a losing season. Hardly objective journalism. Plus the back back back back back b back back back back back b back back back back back b back back back back back.... preceding a long fly ball
Old 07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
qualitycards

Didn't Berman just win some NFL Broadcasting Hall Of Fame honor a week or 2 ago?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Didn't Berman just win some NFL Broadcasting Hall Of Fame honor a week or 2 ago?

He may have but that doesn't make him any less annoying. ESPN and the NFL sleep under the same sheets and he's been their kind of shill forever. WOuldn't surprise me.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Tom Boblitt

Are you saying they have 'bedroom eyes' for each other?