NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Matt

Default Brett & Schmidt Blowing Up

Have been noticing what a new bar those two RCs have set in recent months. Really impressive. To think what we could have gotten them for just a year ago.

Now the Brett in both reg-size and mini and the Schmidt are officially four-digit cards. Always thought these were the two top RCs of that whole decade, so it's good to see them getting their props in the hobby.

Still looking for a nice reg Brett myself actually. Managed the other day to snag a Schmidt 9 to replace the one I sold a few months back. 4SC put it up on BIN and I couldn't hit it fast enough, lol.

I've noticed that "high-end" 9s of both of these are pretty tough. Of course 9s are allowed a little flaw, but trying to find those 9s that look like 10s of these two is a major challenge. Both seem to always have some kind of print blemish, and if not then it's tilt.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Brett & Schmidt prices going up

I have noticed the prices going up also on the 9's. In fact all the
prices on the Brett's are really going up. I just got a 1975 OPC rookie
psa 9 and have been looking for almost a year.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:55 AM
Bill Gregory

So long as Yount's stays where it is, I'm cool with Brett's going up.

I've toyed with the idea of buying a PSA 9 '75 Yount. That would cost a pretty penny, though.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Matt

Nice Younts also don't come up for sale as often as one would think. I suppose people who own these cards, in general, genuinely adore them and would rather keep them in a collection than flip them for a couple hundred bucks.

I managed to score a reg-sized Yount 8.5 that I just love-- 9s are indeed very pricey. It's one of those cards that has a flaw only visible at certain angles; so in-hand, head-on it strikes me as perfect, then I rotate it and see the imperfection. Very easy to admire it only from its better angles, lol!

I've also seen several guys in their 30s-40s rediscover their hobby lately, and the first things they go for are the cards they had and loved as kids. And I have to think that if I personally see a few of such guys, there are many more outside my limited vista. So that may go towards explaining the scarcity and some price bumps we're all seeing.

All it really takes is two passionate collectors to set a new price bar, then a few BINs around that new bar get hit, and say goodbye to the old price level.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Nice Younts also don't come up for sale as often as one would think. I suppose people who own these cards, in general, genuinely adore them and would rather keep them in a collection than flip them for a couple hundred bucks.

I managed to score a reg-sized Yount 8.5 that I just love-- 9s are indeed very pricey. It's one of those cards that has a flaw only visible at certain angles; so in-hand, head-on it strikes me as perfect, then I rotate it and see the imperfection. Very easy to admire it only from its better angles, lol!

I've also seen several guys in their 30s-40s rediscover their hobby lately, and the first things they go for are the cards they had and loved as kids. And I have to think that if I personally see a few of such guys, there are many more outside my limited vista. So that may go towards explaining the scarcity and some price bumps we're all seeing.

All it really takes is two passionate collectors to set a new price bar, then a few BINs around that new bar get hit, and say goodbye to the old price level.

Hey..thats me! I am 43 and one of the first sets/cards I got last year when I got back in was a nice Yount and a nice Brett rookies. Both are raw, but NrMT...so much so I have thought about having them both graded (even though I am not a graded card guy). I am a harsh grader and still think they may pull 7s...the Yount maybe an 8? My wife thinks they are perfect...but as you mentioned...when you really look hard there are slight, slight imperfections.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Bill Gregory

That's me, too. Started collecting again about three years ago. I turn 42 next month. An 8.5 might be an option.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Matt Miller

Default Spikes

Similar spikes are occurring with certain rookie cards in the market on the whole. You can add the 54 Aaron and 55 Clemente in PSA 8 to this conversation amongst others. I think with these two 70's cards in particular there are a number of factors that are driving these prices.

A. The type of player that both of these guys were. Your talking about 2 of the top 3B to ever play baseball, making them highly identifiable and coveted. I love HOF rookie cards, but I will not collect all of them, as I catagorize HOFers into two areas: There are no doubt HOFers, and I think there are guys in the HOF that hung around long enough to get in. I.E. Blyleven If I was limited to just 10 Post War HOF rookies that I could purchase, Schmidt and Brett would certainly be on that list. I think many would have similar thinking as well.

B. If you follow unopened wax, you will note that the 70's prices have exploded as of late. For most people, they can no longer find/afford to rip open 75 Topps products anymore. The prices have doubled and in some cases tripled in the last 12 months.

We are certainly in an interesting period of time when it comes to cards on the whole. I am very much looking forward to watching what the market does over the next 12-18 months, as I think it will be very telling. Its tough for me to believe we will continue to see the soaring prices on some of these cards, but then again, I would never have guessed that Brett PSA 9 RC's would be selling for $2500 either.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Matt

Hi MBM,

I couldn't agree more about the "no-doubt" HOFers being in a special class as far as their cards being so beloved and iconic-- the first ones collectors reach for, to put in a collection. The unopened 70s situation also is a nuance in play.

Yet another factor beyond all those we've all mentioned thus far (and of course it's impossible to quantify how much each of these play into the situation) is how the myriad scandals associated with today's athletes shine an even more Rockwellian light on past era's heroes.

With the PEDs and murder trials that abound, there seems to be such a glaring lack of iconic cultural heroes the likes of Gehrig, DiMaggio, Clemente, Musial, etc. No one doubts that Schmidt and Brett were clean, hitting 500 HR and batting .390 respectively. Combine that with nostalgia for men now having some disposable income...

Also, I can't help but noticing how the news these days is all about mortality stories-- whether it's a family in a hot air balloon or Gandolfini or people on a train or a plane-- there's just so much proof out there that life can be short. And so for me at least there's an impulse to enjoy oneself-- and cards can at least be sold and put some money back in your pocket, whereas an expensive dinner or plane ticket or article of clothing, not so much.

I'd be happy if cards cost a ton less, I'll be happy if they stay the same, and I'll be okay if they rise a little or a lot. Guess it's all good.

It's also interesting to see that so many cards are pretty scarce when one really scrutinizes the card and does not just buy a desired grade. The recent Brett that PWCC sold for example, I was so pumped when I first laid eyes on it, then I found a glaring fisheye smack in the center of the card that I knew would haunt me. There's a 4SC 9 up now with rough centering. So sheer pop numbers can be deceiving when one factors in demand and specific taste.

There was a Schmidt RC too recently on ebay; first saw it and got fired up, then saw a PD within the black framing around the Schmidt cell, and it just killed it for me. Considering what these all go for now, when dropping the money on a 9 one really wants it to be a high-end 9.

The 74 Schmidt is also something of a sneaky beast, in that nearly every 9 I encounter has serious tilt and l/r centering issues. I've always liked second year cards, when it is the first solo card of a guy whose RC was a multi-face. For example, 79 Murphy and Molitor, or 69 Ryan, 68 Seaver and Carew, 64 Rose, etc.

Last edited by MattyC; 08-14-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM

Love the 74 Schmidt card. Definitely hard to find in nice condition. The 74 OPC Schmidt is another great card that is tough to come by.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM

It's not just the PSA 9s that are moving, but PSA 8s too. I own both in 8 and have tracked eBay sales for the last 5 years:

1973 Topps #615 Mike Schmidt RC PSA 8
Year Avg. Winning Bid (number of auctions)
2009 $208.41 (11)
2010 $226.98 (37)
2011 $252.28 (40)
2012 $265.80 (59)
2013 $313.67 (40)

1975 Topps #228 George Brett RC PSA 8
2009 $ 92.56 (13)
2010 $103.56 (64)
2011 $120.75 (14)
2012 $146.56 (76)
2013 $183.89 (80)
Old 08-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Phil Garry

'72 Schmidt Puerto Rican League stickers should fare well in the future as well..........
Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Matt

Phil,

I've always been fascinated by that sticker; what's the story on it?

Paleo,

Great snapshot of those prices over the years. That's one heck of a trend.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Matt Miller

Andy, That's great information on the Brett and Schmidt in 8. How many cards do you track like this? I would love to know more.

I'm not at all familiar with the Puerto Rican league sticker, would love to know more.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Phil Garry

Matt:

Well, it's a Pre-Rookie as it was issued prior to his Topps RC and, obviously, much more scarce. Centering is usually the big issue as far as condition.