NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Banned

Default hank Aaron mail auto

Has anyone had success receiving a auto direct from hank Aaron when sending him a letter? I recently sent him one last week and wanted to know if he's good at responding or if it was a waste of time
Old 04-21-2014, 04:45 PM

You will get a preprint or nothing. Always been a terrible signer, and just did a rare public signing where prices started at 299.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned

Damn well its worth a shot
Old 04-22-2014, 10:09 AM
J@son.K

I doubt he signs through the mail, especially in the past 20 years. I sent him something in the mid 1980s....it took about a year to get it back and I think it was a secretarial.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Shale Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
You will get a preprint or nothing. Always been a terrible signer, and just did a rare public signing where prices started at 299.
$299.00 for his autograph? WOW! I remember in the early 1980's when you could take your kid to a card show and for 5 bucks get a signed picture and have a conversation with the athlete. My son and I got to meet Duke Snider, Bob Feller, Maury Wills, Hank Aaron, Willie McCovey, Steve Sax, Muhammad Ali, among others and took pictures of it. Great times gone. I hear Mays charges for extra for anything other than his name and it is hard to read at that. Wish I had gone to more shows back when.

Last edited by toyman55; 04-22-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
$299.00 for his autograph? WOW! I remember in the early 1980's when you could take your kid to a card show and for 5 bucks get a signed picture and have a conversation with the athlete. My son and I got to meet Duke Snider, Bob Feller, Maury Wills, Hank Aaron, Willie McCovey, Steve Sax, Muhammad Ali, among others and took pictures of it. Great times gone. I hear Mays charges for extra for anything other than his name and it is hard to read at that. Wish I had gone to more shows back when.
With a lot of these living athletes, there is such a disparity between what the autograph is "worth" in the market, and what is being asked for an in-person autograph at shows. That Aaron standard auto is probably only worth about $55-$75.

At the 2011 National, I was a little tempted to get an auto from Wade Boggs, who I loved watching when I was younger. I believe the price for an auto was $50 or $60. Funny enough, at the table right by the entrance to where you go to get autos, there was a dealer who had a really nice 1980s Boggs card signed and slabbed by PSA/DNA...for $10. I bought that one and moved on... (And later I learned that Boggs signs TTM for under $20 anyhow!!!)

Sorry for the thread drift...

Cheers,
Blair
Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am an Aaron fan/collector and I wouldn't pay $299 and up for a signature. I got mine quite a while ago at a show for under 10% of that:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 AM

I was able to pick up a Steiner Aaron for under $100 off eBay. I also snagged this card for about $100. His material has really been going up in price lately though.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong... I think the business model for show promotors has changed over the past 25 years. From what I have been told (and this info may be incorrect), now a days the promotors jack up the prices for the in-person collector and try to recoup a large portion of there costs this way. They then can heavily discount on the wholesale/back room side to the other promotors out there and all of that money is straight up profit. So just like everything else in life, the average guy gets hosed and the promotors walks away like a bandit. Moral of the story: don't pay show prices as you can always find it cheaper somewhere else!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Moral of the story: don't pay show prices as you can always find it cheaper somewhere else!
Show prices typically only make sense if you need someone added to a specific item or want the photo op. I don't see why anyone pays show prices for single signed balls or other generic items.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:13 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
... (And later I learned that Boggs signs TTM for under $20 anyhow!!!)
Side note: I once sent Boggs some cards in the mail to sign (this was probably in 1984-85) and he signed 2 of the 3 I sent, but he decided to keep the rookie card I sent him. It could be that whomever was helping him took the card, but either way, I remember feeling robbed by my favorite player at the time. Maybe it was a stupid thing to send a rookie card to get signed, but I thought I'd take the risk. So, my point may be: be careful what you send him (?).

Last edited by djson1; 04-24-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Side note: I once sent Boggs some cards in the mail to sign (this was probably in 1984-85) and he signed 2 of the 3 I sent, but he decided to keep the rookie card I sent him. It could be that whomever was helping him took the card, but either way, I remember feeling robbed by my favorite player at the time. Maybe it was a stupid thing to send a rookie card to get signed, but I thought I'd take the risk. So, my point may be: be careful what you send him (?).

I know an actor who always keeps some of the photos that people send him to sign. He considers it a tax.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I was able to pick up a Steiner Aaron for under $100 off eBay. I also snagged this card for about $100. His material has really been going up in price lately though.

Interesting...I have seen A TON of slabbed Aaron autos that look identical to the "known secretarial" example in Ron K's book, including (IMO) the one shown on this '59 Fence Busters card.

One of the key giveaways seems to be open tops on the "A" letters in his last name. It seems to be that real Aarons pretty much always have closed "A" letters like the one Adam obtained in person and showed us in post #7 of this thread.

Am I wrong in this understanding?

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 04-28-2014 at 03:37 PM.