NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Ted Williams Story - WOW!

but I warn you, it's looooong.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...audia-williams
Old 05-06-2015, 09:21 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Thanks, I'm going to have to give it a good read.

Glancing quickly, part way down I saw the picture captioned: "Just months before his death, Williams makes an unannounced appearance at the Ted Williams Museum and Hitters Hall of Fame."

This was during the annual inductions into the Ted Williams and Hitters Hall of Fame ceremonies. I was there with my sons for that. He was brought in by ambulance and was there for just a few short minutes. It was sad to see him like that.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Kev1n @1les

She was on with Keith Olbermann a few months ago as she had jsut published her book. She seems at bit wacko.

I read the last of the article and was trying to understand if the plan was to inseminate herself with John Henry's sperm... eww?

I am a Ted Williams fan. I love to collect his cards, pics, autos, etc. I love the fact that he was a brilliant fighter pilot and gave up two different peaks of his career for our country.

He sounds like an A-Hole of Albert Belle proportions. Dad of year stuff. The whole frozen head stuff sounds like the work of a couple of unbalanced/crazy kids. Ted was a grumpy, get off my lawn guy. I find it hard to believe that he bought into the science of it.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 05-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Kev1n @1les

Double Post

Last edited by kailes2872; 05-07-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:19 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
She was on with Keith Olbermann a few months ago as she had jsut published her book. She seems at bit wacko.

I read the last of the article and was trying to understand if the plan was to inseminate herself with John Henry's sperm... eww?

I am a Ted Williams fan. I love to collect his cards, pics, autos, etc. I love the fact that he was a brilliant fighter pilot and gave up two different peaks of his career for our country.

He sounds like an A-Hole of Albert Belle proportions. Dad of year stuff. The whole frozen head stuff sounds like the work of a couple of unbalanced/crazy kids. Ted was a grumpy, get off my lawn guy. I find it hard to believe that he bought into the science of it.
I would suggest you read the article before making any more assumptions. She would use a surrogate.

Ted was obviously a very complex, broken man.

Last edited by bender07; 05-06-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Kev1n @1les

Thanks - I read it twice. I couldn't tell. Thank you for clarifying.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Ben North

I read the entire article hoping it was about Ted the ballplayer. I personally like my sports heroes for what they done on the field and could care less what they done in their personal life.

Calling her a wacko is much nicer than my opinion of her after reading this sad pathetic article.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 PM
qualitycards

I didn't read the whole article but what I read seems that she doesn't have closure on her relationship
w/ her dad and now that he has passed away, she will never get it.

I have a few of her signatures when she gave a ton of stuff to Hunts

Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Jimmy

My son and I had just finished talking about this while watching the Sox - he was a great player!
Old 05-07-2015, 12:22 AM
Brad Francis

Default Sad, yes, pathetic/wacko, no

I find it pathetic that some comments so far lack empathy and any effort whatsoever to try to understand how neither Ted nor Claudia asked for the hand that was dealt them as children. I am very impressed with Claudia's desire to break the chain of dysfunction and be the first to be a good parent in generations of Williams clan. I see nothing pathetic or wacko in this story. Just sad. But hopeful.

John Henry had a very unhealthy drive to push his own agenda, but that agenda was a wish to prolong time with his father.

Maybe some of you want to avoid reading about his personal life because it makes you uneasy. You may feel that one should focus on his stats as a player, and not care about his personal life. To be frank, I see the heroism of Ted Williams the man in his attempts to connect with his children in his later years, to try to make things right, and in his apologies for his inability to be a good parent more often. And his heroism as a ball player and veteran a close second.

I see a lot of redemption in this story, with the cryogenics a personal issue that the media bastardized into something more than it was/is. I think Claudia is trying her hardest to be normal, and to show her father in a real, and human way, albeit flawed. Like all of us.

Next time you want to judge some one for being real, or sharing too much, please take a look at yourself. And if you still feel that this story is too much private twisted information, than please don't tell us all of the intimate details about how you got screwed for thousands on your last card purchase, and how we are supposed to feel bad for you, and how we are supposed to care about every item you have sold on your way to repairing your mistakes.

The fact is I do care about all of your purchases, mistakes, exciting finds as much as I care about your health issues, personal struggles, personal losses, deaths of friends and or family. I just challenge us all to hold our tongues.

Forgive me for my strong opinion, but we all bitch about all of the crap on the news, and all of the crazy people shooting other people, and then when someone shows humility, the desire to make amends, and try to do good, like Ted and Claudia, we call them wacko, or an asshole of epic proportions? WOW. With humility and understanding we can grow to like both the player and the man, whether it be Ted or Ty, or George H. Ruth, or Mickey, flaws and all. They are after all playing ball in another plce as we speak, free from the burdens of addictions, anger, bad parenting etc. I only wish that I will be remembered for my attempts to repair or atone for my mistakes as opposed to the mistakes themselves.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:56 AM

Well said. I'm sure everyone is aware of the shortcomings of Ruth, Cobb, the Mick, and a host of others. We prefer to keep them on their pedestals without the scrutiny of 24 hour cable.
In addition , Ted was one of the greatest fly fisherman of all time !
Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ51 View Post
Well said. I'm sure everyone is aware of the shortcomings of Ruth, Cobb, the Mick, and a host of others. We prefer to keep them on their pedestals without the scrutiny of 24 hour cable.
In addition , Ted was one of the greatest fly fisherman of all time !
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvymelvin View Post
I find it pathetic that some comments so far lack empathy and any effort whatsoever to try to understand how neither Ted nor Claudia asked for the hand that was dealt them as children. I am very impressed with Claudia's desire to break the chain of dysfunction and be the first to be a good parent in generations of Williams clan. I see nothing pathetic or wacko in this story. Just sad. But hopeful.

John Henry had a very unhealthy drive to push his own agenda, but that agenda was a wish to prolong time with his father.

Maybe some of you want to avoid reading about his personal life because it makes you uneasy. You may feel that one should focus on his stats as a player, and not care about his personal life. To be frank, I see the heroism of Ted Williams the man in his attempts to connect with his children in his later years, to try to make things right, and in his apologies for his inability to be a good parent more often. And his heroism as a ball player and veteran a close second.

I see a lot of redemption in this story, with the cryogenics a personal issue that the media bastardized into something more than it was/is. I think Claudia is trying her hardest to be normal, and to show her father in a real, and human way, albeit flawed. Like all of us.

Next time you want to judge some one for being real, or sharing too much, please take a look at yourself. And if you still feel that this story is too much private twisted information, than please don't tell us all of the intimate details about how you got screwed for thousands on your last card purchase, and how we are supposed to feel bad for you, and how we are supposed to care about every item you have sold on your way to repairing your mistakes.

The fact is I do care about all of your purchases, mistakes, exciting finds as much as I care about your health issues, personal struggles, personal losses, deaths of friends and or family. I just challenge us all to hold our tongues.

Forgive me for my strong opinion, but we all bitch about all of the crap on the news, and all of the crazy people shooting other people, and then when someone shows humility, the desire to make amends, and try to do good, like Ted and Claudia, we call them wacko, or an asshole of epic proportions? WOW. With humility and understanding we can grow to like both the player and the man, whether it be Ted or Ty, or George H. Ruth, or Mickey, flaws and all. They are after all playing ball in another plce as we speak, free from the burdens of addictions, anger, bad parenting etc. I only wish that I will be remembered for my attempts to repair or atone for my mistakes as opposed to the mistakes themselves.
I agree with you completely.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 05-07-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Good read and very interesting. I did wish it went just a little deeper though. There are a lot of stories about John-Henry forcing him to sign autographs and even signing things in his place. It would have been good to get her take on that dynamic. She clearly misses her brother though so I'm sure it was a conscious decision by the writer not to push too hard.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvymelvin View Post

Apologies. Your point is well taken.

Tis better to be thought a fool versus opening my mouth and removing all doubt. A lesson learned here.