NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Default Kezar Stadium 49ers Sign Original?

Hi,

Long time lucker here. I recently came into possession of this sign. I was told that it is an original sign from Kezar Stadium where the SF 49ers used to play. At the bottom it says 1954 Stevens Enterprises, Kezar Stadium. I was hoping that somebody here could possibly give me some more info on this.
Does anybody know if this is an original sign, possible value or if anyone knows if there's more signs on the market?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2343.jpg (73.1 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2344.jpg (75.5 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2345.jpg (76.2 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2349.jpg (69.9 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2350.jpg (72.7 KB, 224 views)
Old 05-16-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Kezar Stadium

Yes, it is from Kezar Stadium. I have had many signs from Kezar and still have a few. Yours is the most colorful I have seen.
Andy Sandler (845) 331-8610
Old 05-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Rob

I love it!!!
Old 05-16-2015, 10:10 PM
T Mac

Looks legit to me, from the ones I have seen
Good deals with: Mrc32, Anthony S., White Borders, T206hound, Idiottax, Tonyo, Gradedcardman, Scott L., kamikidEFFL, T213, Danny Smith, Dru724, FamilyToad, Bigb13, Wymers Auction, rjackson44, mintacular, skooter, t206wagner, edwolf1963, tjb1952tjb, chesbro41, 39special, swanstars, willowgrove, leerob538, dog*dirt, AndyG09, jschris, rp12367, grayghost, wazoo, wolf441, robextend, tolstoi, markf31, matthew80, kodiak, bunker, frankbmd, bocabirdman, Joem36, bamadad2000, cammb, 4815162342
Old 05-16-2015, 10:29 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info and compliments! Is there any place I can look to try to photo match it from inside Kezar? I have been looking and haven't had any luck finding any photo's from inside the stadium. I would be interested to see more photo's from that time period.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:40 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

That's a neat looking sign, but a few things jump out that make me think it may not be original. Some of these things can be explained away but there are enough that would make me think twice about its originality, or at the least it being from the mid 1950's.

The copyright symbol with the "C" in the circle was the first thing that caught my attention. The copyright line on the bottom is what really bothers me. I just don't see a concession company paying to copyright a simple menu board. Besides, it looks huge on the board. When was the last time you saw a copyright slug that big? Usually they are smaller, almost a footnote. (I originally wrote that the circle "C" was used from 1955 but I was mistaken).

The second thing is the typeface used for "CONCESSION STAND" and other headlines. I believe this is Helvetica, a Swiss-designed family of typefaces that was released in 1957. This looks like the "Helvetica Black Extended" version of the typeface. While very hip designers in the States were using Helvetica by late 1957, I don't think that sign shops that would do concession signs like this would have used Helvetica that early. Buying type back then wasn't as simple as downloading a font to your computer. It was very expensive and quite an investment. A simple sign company that made concession signs would have used an older typeface like Franklin Gothic if they wanted a san-serif look.

While I can't tell for sure what the other more condensed typeface used for the items on the board is without close inspection, I wouldn't be suprized if it is another Helvetica style called "Medium Condensed".

There have been many different "cuts" of Helvetica since 1957, all with tiny differences which would make it easier to narrow down at least the earliest time period a piece using them could have been made.

The Coca-Cola logo looks to be modern. If I were buying this I'd check a Coke collectors guide book and see what was the common Coca-Cola logo in use at the time, paying close attention to the type style used for the words "ENJOY" and "ICE COLD".

The one big thing that bothers me is the hand-painted looking 49ers guy and script name combined with the printed text. Back in 1954 it would have been more common for a sign company to either hand paint and letter a sign or have one mechanically printed. Each of these employ two separate skilled workers - you would either job it out to a sign painter or a printer. A sign painter would have done the top portion like this is but the text below would have been also hand painted. A printer would have set the type as seen in the lower part of the piece but if there was graphics they would have been limited to the blue, black and red used in the rest of the letters, not full 4-color process like it is here. It would have been too expensive to produce unless you were printing many of them. For a stadium I wouldn't think there would be more than 10, right?

Now like I said, many of these things could be explained away. Maybe it is a more recent sign than 1954 and the copyright symbol is on there with the 1954 date for some legal reason and does not reflect the actual date of manufacture. That would explain the 1957 typeface used if it is indeed a later piece. The Coca-Cola logo could check out as accurate to that time period. The mixture of sign painting and printing techniques could be explained away with the concession company had money to burn so splurged on more expensive 4-color printing for a handful of signs.

Did you research "STEVENS ENTERPRISES"? "Enterprises" seems like a more modern name, more 1970's than 1950's. I'd check out when that became a commonly used word for corporations.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. It's still a neat looking piece, real or fantasy.

Last edited by jerseygary; 05-17-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: mistake on date
Old 05-17-2015, 12:38 PM

Default are you inerested in selling 49ers signs

michaelmays24@comcast.net
Old 05-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Rob

^^^^ It's good to have guys like Gary around. They might not always say what you want to hear put these are all valid concerns. Kind of like how Paul M. can critique a pinback.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Rob

A question for baylife: is your sign cardboard on plywood?
Old 05-17-2015, 02:12 PM

Can't comment on original or not, but Stevens could be a reference to Harry M Stevens company, the famous stadium/racetrack concessionaires. However, the Enterprises portion is something I do not remember seeing before.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 PM

Hi again everyone,

All the replies have been great and informative! Gary did bring up some valid points and I am trying to research further but its been hard to find out a lot of info. I appreciate all the comments and concerns.

The sign is on plywood with 2 metal hangers at the top which I believe have rusted or something and sent streaks down from near the hangers. It is a little less than half an inch thick and is 22 inches long by 48 inches high. There is also damage on all 4 sides and the bottom which I can take closer pictures of. I kinda like the damage as I think it adds something to the piece.

As of now this piece is not for sale.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:47 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylife View Post
Hi again everyone,

All the replies have been great and informative! Gary did bring up some valid points and I am trying to research further but its been hard to find out a lot of info. I appreciate all the comments and concerns.

The sign is on plywood with 2 metal hangers at the top which I believe have rusted or something and sent streaks down from near the hangers. It is a little less than half an inch thick and is 22 inches long by 48 inches high. There is also damage on all 4 sides and the bottom which I can take closer pictures of. I kinda like the damage as I think it adds something to the piece.

As of now this piece is not for sale.
Is it painted directly on the plywood?

A buddy of mine who is a big 49ers collector says he has seen these before and feels it is legit. He values it at $1000-1500.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:40 PM

Yes it is painted directly onto the wood. I also hope its legit. I really like the piece and his estimated value is also nice!