NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Eric
Eric

Default An idea for eBay searches

I am sure that I am the only one that has my followed searches that I check each day on eBay that are clogged with the same repeat listings that will never sell from the same "dealers" while new material seems few and far between sometimes. I propose the following refinements for searches that can be clicked when searching

1. No mikedeneros or 707 or deanscards or sellers that should be blocked due to discussions on this page

2. No grandpas attic finds

3. Don't show if reprint is listed anywhere in the title or description

4. No $1000 plus cards from sellers with less than 10 feedback

5. No cards that have been listed for more than 1 year at the same ridiculously stupid price and are not listed as BIN OBO

Any other thoughts? I do realize that if these filters were in place, I would only see about 3 cards per month...

Have a great weekend all,
Eric Recker
Old 04-01-2016, 08:04 AM
D@le Irv*n

For me,it would be those that use Global shipping.

Check out the shipping/import charges for this card.
Granted, it's priced high, (maybe due to the guy who was trying to corner the market on these, lol)
I see this all the time, which is frustrating, especially when I find cheap cards but the shipping is more than the price of the card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-T...cAAOSwoBtW5xOS
Old 04-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Bill

Also, let's eliminate any listing that uses the term "listing as a reprint". I mean has anybody ever gotten an authentic card from one of those listings??? I know a lot of people roll the dice and lose mightily.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:22 AM

well you CAN filter at least one of those things. If, at the end of your search terms you put a minus sign and then a word, it'll eliminate anything that has that word in it.

so for example, when I'm searching for cards to add to my PSA 7 or better 1955 Topps set I search:

1955 Topps PSA 7 -oc -mk -mc
1955 Topps PSA 8 -oc -mk -mc

and then I don't have to worry about listings with those qualifiers as it eliminates them from the search results. So similarly you could do that with "reprint" and the other one that I always have to sift through, those lovely Topps Archives sets they made. So I'll do something like

1953 Topps Mickey Mantle -reprints -reprint - archive -archives and then you won't have to deal with those anymore

my apologies for making you read all that if you already knew this
1954 Topps Raw Set: 219/250 (87.60%)
1955 Topps Raw Set: 192/206 (93.20%)
1956 Topps Raw Set: 267/340 (78.53%)
WTB thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221389
Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Bill

Great tip! I appreciate it! I hate those listings.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Bradley Holt

Default Ebay Sucks For Canadians!

I simply just don't buy off of ebay as much, those new import charges are horrendous. Auction houses and Net54 is where it's at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

Granted, it's priced high, (maybe due to the guy who was trying to corner the market on these, lol)
I see this all the time, which is frustrating, especially when I find cheap cards but the shipping is more than the price of the card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-T...cAAOSwoBtW5xOS

Last edited by V117collector; 04-01-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:33 AM
David $tephens

have any of you guys ever just messaged any of these repeat listings and made a reasonable offer?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:12 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid50sbaseball View Post
well you CAN filter at least one of those things. If, at the end of your search terms you put a minus sign and then a word, it'll eliminate anything that has that word in it.

so for example, when I'm searching for cards to add to my PSA 7 or better 1955 Topps set I search:

1955 Topps PSA 7 -oc -mk -mc
1955 Topps PSA 8 -oc -mk -mc

and then I don't have to worry about listings with those qualifiers as it eliminates them from the search results. So similarly you could do that with "reprint" and the other one that I always have to sift through, those lovely Topps Archives sets they made. So I'll do something like

1953 Topps Mickey Mantle -reprints -reprint - archive -archives and then you won't have to deal with those anymore

my apologies for making you read all that if you already knew this
Great tips! I wasn't aware you could do that.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V117collector View Post
I simply just don't buy off of ebay as much, those new import charges are horrendous. Auction houses and Net54 is where it's at!
You're not kidding!

As far as A/H's go, I was under the impression those were likely more expensive due to the selling fees, which I have heard run anywhere from 15% to over 20%??

I see A/H sales on here all the time but I have no clue where to look for them unless a link is posted here?

Might have to consider looking at them more than E-Bay but I am pretty sure most cards there, that I have seen, are high graded high price cards which are likely way out of my league?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:44 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
have any of you guys ever just messaged any of these repeat listings and made a reasonable offer?
This is a good suggestion. I have picked up a few cards with offers on cards that had no OBO option available.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Ignored

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
This is a good suggestion. I have picked up a few cards with offers on cards that had no OBO option available.
Have tried this. Usually get ignored. Couple of successes.
Find myself purchasing here more and more
Old 04-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Jay P$R$E
Jason Pi.rie (banned)

eBay is the devil. You know something is wrong when you see dealers selling low graded commons for a couple hundred bucks over and over and over...
Old 04-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

You can use parentheses to do "or" inclusions or exclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post

2. No grandpas attic finds

3. Don't show if reprint is listed anywhere in the title or description
add this to your search

-(reprint,rp,grandfather,grandpa,attic,modern)

Last edited by bcornell; 04-01-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: relevant example
Old 04-01-2016, 11:32 AM

Too bad you can no longer use the asterisk to search for variations on the end of a word. For instance, if you wanted to search for an item from the 1930s, you could enter 193* instead of having to type out each year in the search.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:00 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Too bad you can no longer use the asterisk to search for variations on the end of a word. For instance, if you wanted to search for an item from the 1930s, you could enter 193* instead of having to type out each year in the search.
You can search for multiple years by using parentheses like this (1930, 1931, 1932, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939) You can have more than one set of parentheses per search.
James
Old 04-01-2016, 12:02 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
I have done this a couple times in the last week or so and saved a little.
James
Old 04-01-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
You can search for multiple years by using parentheses like this (1930, 1931, 1932, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939) You can have more than one set of parentheses per search.
James
Yep, you can do that but it saves time to use the asterisk, particularly when you're not using a saved search.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I would also like to exclude any listings with the term "blazer," any "estate finds" or "estate fresh" cards or anything described as "centered" that are maybe 65/35 at best.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Eric
Eric

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I would also like to exclude any listings with the term "blazer," any "estate finds" or "estate fresh" cards or anything described as "centered" that are maybe 65/35 at best.
+1

Nothing like a destroyed off-centered card that is a blazer!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Travis Bid.ner

I wish we could just REMOVE/DELETE each item we are not interested in permanently! Just as easy as hitting WATCH or BID. Then when the item is relisted again and again and again we wouldn't see it because we would have already took it out of our search.

Also would like to add a few AMERICAN BEAUTIES
350 frame,no frame and/or 460
Old 04-02-2016, 01:28 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

Absolutely. Although we Canadians are a small percentage of sales, there is plenty of discussion on this subject on Canadian boards. The question always arises about whether US sellers are aware of how outrageous that program is, and whether they know it affects sales for them.

Personally I have more wants than money. Therefore if I see a listing with a (typically) outrageous shipping charge, I simply move onto another listing.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:31 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Absolutely. Although we Canadians are a small percentage of sales, there is plenty of discussion on this subject on Canadian boards. The question always arises about whether US sellers are aware of how outrageous that program is, and whether they know it affects sales for them.

Personally I have more wants than money. Therefore if I see a listing with a (typically) outrageous shipping charge, I simply move onto another listing.
I don't believe most of them know how expensive it is? Like I have mentioned before, they likely just sign up as sellers and choose Global as shippers and not give it another thought?

I wrote a guy just last night, as I have a few times now, and this is typically their answer. Most are surprised and a few don't even bother replying.

"Hello ... Thanks for the heads up. I was NOT aware that the eBay GSP was so expensive! I just tried to modify the shipping for this item but there is no option for removing the eBay GSP. Perhaps because the item ends in a few hours. If it doesn't sell I will relist without the GSP. Sorry about that. I just didn't know. Thank you. xxxxy."