NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Default ot: Published my own book

Posted By: john/z28jd

Last year I wrote a long story called "A Card's Life" and left it up on the vintage site for almost a year for anyone to read. Basically it's the story of two Old Judge baseball cards from their creation to modern day as told by them. I finally wanted to have the words in print so I didn't have to go online anytime I wanted to show someone who asked,so using Adam Warshaw's suggestion I went to lulu.com and self-published the story. Here's the thread from last year just so anyone can look thru it to see if they're interested.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1198089234

and here is the link to the book.

http://www.lulu.com/content/4632006

I kept it as basic as possible to keep the cost down but I did put a lot of time and effort into it when I wrote it. Feel free to buy as many as you want,I need about 400 sold to buy a VG Old Judge common and a little less than a million sold to retire(and when I do that I'll write some free stories for everyone and post them on the board,scouts honor) Thanks to Leon for letting me post my off-topic thread for the year

Old 10-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Sanders

The link seems to be off. Shows up as file not found.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks Tim. I think it's fixed now

Old 10-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

John:

Is going through Lulu the only way to get a copy? It seems like a nuisance giving them all that info before you even get to the checkout page.

Is it possible just to pay you direct with paypal and have a copy sent?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

I think the only way I could do that is buy a copy myself and then send it to you once I get it. Going thru them eliminates any up front cost which is probably what was keeping me from publishing it in the first place all this time. Unless I'm missing something I don't get a complimentary copy, I just get a discount because they don't get a % when I buy.

If enough people asked I could buy them that way. If I bought 10 of them it would probably cost everyone about $10 each to get them,which now that I check is actually a savings over the $10.85 they charge by media mail,it would just take about a week longer.I would also lose my $.56 per copy.... I think I could survive

Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

John- You just need to sell 399 more now
I used Paypal, it was no problem.
tbob

Old 10-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Administrator

I'm convinced. If they take paypal I'll go back through.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Old 10-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Thanks Bob,now all you have to do is show up at the next Philly show(wherever and whenever that is) and I'll autograph your copy for free with the purchase of admission to the show. I'll be sitting at Ted's table...he just doesnt know that yet.

On a serious note,when are you going to show up at one of these Philly shows?

Also does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to send a 65 page paperback book standard mail? I almost emailed tbob because I know hes sold books on ebay. I'm looking into maybe buying about 50 copies to see how much it would save anyone who wanted it if they bought it from me directly. Lulu.com charges $3.85 for one book so I'm thinking its gotta be less than that and I already have plenty of envelopes big enough to mail it. Looks like it might be about $1.50 savings if I buy at least 51 copies

PS Thanks Zinn. You can have an autograph too

Old 10-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I'm thinking novella or short story, but a rose by any other name...

so, my idea of the better course of action was to wait until the publication of the Old Judge book so you could ride the wave of your contributions there, but what do I know?

Old 10-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Administrator

You mean Joe,Jay and Richard's book?

I probably would've waited if I wasn't sitting here bored today waiting for the world series to come on.

PS You spell pretty good for someone whos been out all night

Old 10-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: johnny!!

JOHNNY!!

mark a few more sold!!!

keep it up

johnny

Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

You're 1 closer to retirement...

Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I bought 1 hoping my son will enjoy reading it.  He has to read 30 minutes every night and hates it, unless its something fun... I am always searching for books he will enjoy! 

Old 10-27-2008, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Thanks to everyone who has bought one so far. The cool thing about that site is they keep track of your book sales for you so I'll know the exact moment I can retire

Seriously though,if anyone else is thinking of writing something on their own,that site makes it so easy to publish and there is no up front cost,plus you set your own price. Like I said,I kept mine almost as cheap as they allow,I actually just rounded up to the next dollar,but if anyone wants to do something real big without the fear of it not selling enough,this is the way to do it. Even if it sold one copy the only thing you lose is the time you put into it. If it really sold alot and you put a price on it that works for you,you could actually make a nice amount doing something on the side(I should get some stock or something in this company for this plug)

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact you don't even get one free copy for your self(there goes my shares of stock),other than that its great because you have a say in everything that goes into the book from front cover to back