NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-26-2014, 07:11 PM

Default A health update

Many of you know my health problems of the past few years, lymphoma lymphoma, bone marrow transplant, gall bladder removal, Hepatitis B. It reads like a who's who of what not to have happen to you. But I got through it, I had been feeling great and was loving life.

I started having some problems with my kidneys in the last couple of weeks. Monday my kidneys gave out permanently. My doctor told me to go to the ER immediately but I refused. That day was my Mom's 80th birthday and we were having a party for her and there was no way I was missing that. If you met my mom (Maxine) at the National, Brimfield or Atlantique City you would understand, but I guess that should be standard course for any mom. The party was pretty incredible and my mom loved it. We all did. I'll be posting some photos and stuff on my Facebook page in a few days.

I am writing this hooked up to a dialysis machine at the hospital. The good news is that I will leave a normal life (as normal as you could say my life is). I already feel 10 times better after one full treatment. I will be getting a Peritoneal unit in a month or two and will be sale to do my treatments at home while I sleep. The machine is the size of a briefcase and I can take it on the road with me. I am not cutting bak on my show schedule,. I am not relinquishing any of my duties at Lelands. I love what I do and I have no desire to do anything else. I am one of the luckiest people in the world to be able to do what I love most with the people I love day in and day out, year after year. This hobby has been great to me and I appreciate all of you being a part of my life.

My sister Andrea has pledged to give me one of her kidneys and we are now just starting to look into transplant. With that I will be like new. My doctors are amazing and the support of my family friends and especially the people at the firm is tremendous.

I am telling you a lot of these medical details because there are a lot of misconceptions out there about this disease. I went in scared because I thought this would affect my life expectancy and I would end up having to go to some shady place to buy a black market kidney to survive or I would be stuck to a machine for the rest of my now shortened life. None of this is true.

Boy, would that suck because there are so many pieces I am still looking to find, people I have not yet met and places I still want to see. I have had an incredible life, a blessed life, filled with excitement and intensity and joy and pain and so much love. I'm going to be around a while and plan on giving you all a run for your money doing what we love to do. Life is sweet.

Josh Evans
Lelands.com
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

Josh, I'm glad to hear you are doing better and are so optimistic about things. Hopefully you will be telling stories in Chicago next July.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Josh - You are an inspiration to us all ! Thank you sincerely for sharing your details.

All the Best,
Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Josh- I hope you get well soon. There is a Net54baseball dinner next year and you are one of the speakers.....
Old 09-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Brendan Mullen

Josh, prayers for a full recovery and many more years doing what you love. Your enthusiasm for the hobby and positive outlook are very refreshing.

Brendan
Old 09-26-2014, 11:45 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Inspirational story. Hope you get well soon.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:18 AM

Josh--

We met at one of the Net54 dinners. You were a guest speaker as I recall.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mark Evans
Old 09-27-2014, 12:25 AM
McKinzie Eli Lambert

Josh,
Its wonderful that you are so eager and willing to share your story. Hopefully it will inspire others to do the same when they face a similar and equally scary medical situation. Best wishes for a fast and painfree recovery for both you and your sister!

Take Care,
McKinzie Eli Lambert
Old 09-27-2014, 01:50 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Get better! I was in intensive care exactly a year ago and am as fit as fiddle now.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:05 AM

Best wishes Josh..and keep on living and doing what you love!

Ricky Y
Old 09-27-2014, 04:33 AM
Barry Sloate

Josh- here's wishing you a speedy recovery and a new lease on the rest of your life. Health problems suck, no doubt about it, but keep up the positive attitude. That will take you a long way.

My best,
Barry
Old 09-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Don Hontz

Default Josh

Josh---So Sorry to read your health news this morning---You have been through a lot these last few years and I know you will come out on top. We go way back and I only wish the best for you. I know how you love this hobby and what it means to you and when you speak of your family, it hits home for me too. You sister is a inspiration for all of us. What love she is showing you. My prayers will be with you and I look forward to seeing you in Boston soon. Best wishes and hang in there. Don
Old 09-27-2014, 07:12 AM

Josh- I wish you all the best. You have a great attitude, so you'll do just fine!
Old 09-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Al

Josh,
Onward and upward to that next great find my friend! Get well soon! Al

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 09-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Jim Mac

Default speedy recovery

Hi Josh, we wish you a speedy recovery and really good health from here on out. You mean so much to this great hobby. So hang in there, we can't do it without you. Always enjoy talking with you at the Shriner's Show, Wilmington, Ma. Best Wishes for a full recovery. Jim MacCord.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Barry Arnold

Default josh

wishing you all the best as you get healthier and healthier!!!

Barry
Old 09-27-2014, 10:28 AM
FredYoung

Default Hi Josh--

My very Best Wishes to you for a complete recovery! I can't imagine going thru what you have been through! Get well SOON!
Old 09-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Daryl

Default A health update

Josh, I'll be praying for successful treatment and that the kidney transplant will be a success as well. God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!

P.S.: I really enjoyed your talk at the Net54 dinner last time and look forward to the next!

Last edited by 4815162342; 09-27-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:43 AM
Bill Gregory

Josh, we should all have jobs we love that much.

In light of all that you've been through, it is absolutely wonderful (and amazing!) to see that you have been able to keep your spirits up. I have to say that your refusal to let cancer, and the other medical issues you've been dealing with, control you...is inspiring. It really is. I've had some health issues of my own in the last few years-they are relatively minor compared to yours. But I when I pray, I always try to keep things in perspective. I know there are many people afflicted with terrible things like Cancer, or Ebola, or AIDS..there are men and women coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan without arms, or legs (or both), and like you, they are accepting these challenges head on, and grabbing a hold of life any way they can. And I think to myself, if these people are able to bear these burdens, then of course I can, too.

I hope we are fortunate enough to have your wonderful enthusiasm in the hobby for many years to come.

God Bless,

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:40 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Josh

I am pulling for you my friend. I love your passion and enthusiasm for the hobby and life in general. Keep fighting the good fight.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:57 AM

Default Flower mound

Bill Gregory
Well you're lucky enough to have Joe Greene living in your hometown so that right there is reason to be thankful.
Josh
Old 09-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Jeff Lowe

Good luck and good health to you Josh . Thanks for doing what you do . Our prayers are with you .

From the Postcard Kid .
Old 09-28-2014, 10:12 AM

All the best with your recovery. Health problems can be a real drag, but they can be the source of great blessings too with right perspective and attitude.
Jim B
Old 09-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Ken McMillan

Josh,

Stick in there my friend. A little over 4 years ago, i had a blood clot in my spinal cord at the level of my neck. I was left paralyzed from my armpits on down and told that I would probably never work again or walk. Today, I have been back to work for a year, I do walk using a walker in exam rooms, and I even do surgery. I have passed all expectations that anyone had ever dreamed of including my own expectations. When things look bad, charge in with a positive mentle attitude and things will change for the better.

I still have some issues from my spinal stroke but i do not let those issues beat or define me. Get well soon
Old 09-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshleland View Post
Bill Gregory
Well you're lucky enough to have Joe Greene living in your hometown so that right there is reason to be thankful.
Josh
Mean Joe Green lives here, too? Donald Driver, the Packers all-time leading receiver, lives about a mile and a half from me.

Looks like Flower Mound is becoming a town of choice with retired NFL superstars

But I do have to say that my hometown is Milwaukee, WI. I'm a Cheesehead stuck in Texas.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Rich Klein

Kidneys are a bear, my wife may have to go through something similar in the near future and my dad had to go through dialysis for the last few years of his life.

And as for the flower mound Bill, I'd love to see you at one of my shows. I know it's 45 minutes from you, but one day,...

Rich