NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Jim,
Could you elaborate more on what you recall of his motivations for finally doing that first autograph signing, and what finally tipped the scales after 5 years of trying to convince him? It seems to me that after 30+ years of refusing to sign (if I'm getting my timeline right), the decision to do a signing session couldn't have been as simple as needing some quick cash or a boost to his sagging ego. Rather than opining as to what I think his motivations may have been though, it seems more reasonable to ask the guy that was there spearheading the negotiations, and I would be glad to hear any specifics that you can recall.
In answer to your question I really don't know, I was on the phone with him every other month for five years so I don't think it was really about money. I would GUESS that as someone said it was to expand his baseball complex. I do remember his saying that he hoped by doing a signing it would eliminate the constant requests he recieved asking for his autograph. The irony of the entire project was that I was doing alot of private signings at the time with various athletes and celebrities and the question that kept coming up over and over was "Why don't you do a signing with Mike G. Marshall ?" and how great it would be for the hobby etc.

When finally I was able to pull it off I got just as many complaints that I was "Charging too much !!!" some of them quite nasty. So I learned you can't make everyone happy.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Sorry, but this guy is a prick.

From the SI article posted above...
They say I don't like kids. I think that refusing to sign autographs, I am giving the strongest demonstration that I really do like them.

The guy is delusional....Kids aren't at a PHD level to understand that kind of thinking.
Topps and MLB forged the agreement to start paying players for their appearances on baseball cards around the 70's correct? right about the same time he was in the Majors...Hey Dr. Mike who bought the baseball cards back then that helped coat your pockets with money? THE KIDS AT THE BALLPARK. Who paid to see you play? THOSE SAME KIDS AT THE BALLPARK.

Refusing to sign unless they had autographs of their teachers is an asinine statement.

Sorry guys, but Dr. Mike idea of thinking sucks. My guess is that his money has began to run out and he now sees it fit to sell his autograph.

Hypocrite.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I'm sure there has been a thread somewhere that has gone over this, but other than Dr. Mike, are there any other players currently who are extremely difficult to obtain autographs from or don't sign. I know Piazza is tough, but a player that doesn't even have certified autographed cards from Upper Deck, Topps etc.

I know Dr. Mike has a few Sweet Spot autographs from Upper Deck.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Piazza is not really that tough at all. In fact, I am 5-for-5 in IP experiences with him over the years. Maybe I'm lucky but he's been pretty friendly every time I've seen him. He's not even in the same galaxy as Dr. Mike, in terms of toughness.

George Hendrick is another notorious toughie. Rarely signs IP but at least you can break him down every once in a while. When he does sign IP, he will usually sign only Cardinals items for some reason.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Piazza is not really that tough at all. In fact, I am 5-for-5 in IP experiences with him over the years. Maybe I'm lucky but he's been pretty friendly every time I've seen him. He's not even in the same galaxy as Dr. Mike, in terms of toughness.

George Hendrick is another notorious toughie. Rarely signs IP but at least you can break him down every once in a while. When he does sign IP, he will usually sign only Cardinals items for some reason.
Rickey Henderson, Eddie Murray (late in his career, but always polite about it)and Albert Belle were the toughest guys IP that I ever faced, FWIW...
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post

The George Hendrick experience ! When he was playing in the senior league in Florida when ever he was asked for an autograph he'd politely say "No Thanks" ....I had a $50.00 bet with another collector that he could NOT get Hendrick to sign.

One day in the parking lot he found Tom Paciorek's wallet and it had about $400.00 in it, he returned it to Paciorek personally and the Tom kept thanking him over and over , couldn't believe the guys honesty. So Paciorek reached over and gave the guy that returned his wallet one of his bats as a way of saying thanks. The collector politely refused and said there "IS ONE FAVOR you can do for me" determined to win his bet he asked Paciorek if he could get Hendrick to sign a ball for him, Paciorek looked at him like....."Thats all you want ?" and grabbed a baseball trotted over to Hendrick and we all sat there in stitches laughing as Hendrick kept shaking his head NO ! Tom Paciorek was so furious we thought he was going to deck him...lol. Finally red in the face he trotted back over and said you are going to have to settle for one of my bats .....
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
The George Hendrick experience ! When he was playing in the senior league in Florida when ever he was asked for an autograph he'd politely say "No Thanks" ....I had a $50.00 bet with another collector that he could NOT get Hendrick to sign.

One day in the parking lot he found Tom Paciorek's wallet and it had about $400.00 in it, he returned it to Paciorek personally and the Tom kept thanking him over and over , couldn't believe the guys honesty. So Paciorek reached over and gave the guy that returned his wallet one of his bats as a way of saying thanks. The collector politely refused and said there "IS ONE FAVOR you can do for me" determined to win his bet he asked Paciorek if he could get Hendrick to sign a ball for him, Paciorek looked at him like....."Thats all you want ?" and grabbed a baseball trotted over to Hendrick and we all sat there in stitches laughing as Hendrick kept shaking his head NO ! Tom Paciorek was so furious we thought he was going to deck him...lol. Finally red in the face he trotted back over and said you are going to have to settle for one of my bats .....
HOFAutoRookies.com
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Jim, what year was that? I know Hendrick has signed at a couple shows in the last couple of years so I wonder if his position has changed...or maybe he just wants to be paid for them.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
So I learned you can't make everyone happy.
Leon Luckey
Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So you are saying you could manage this board?
Let me consider my options ...pour battery acid directly into my eyes or manage the board ?mmmmmmmm (theme song from jeopardy plays in background)...I'll take the 1st option ,
Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

He's no longer active (he is now coaching college actually, I believe) but Billy Traber was always a real piece of work. I got him to FINALLY sign a card for me after about 10 tries over a couple seasons. He literally looked like he was going to throw up while signing the card. He is a very odd guy.

That Hendrick story is classic and right in line with how he was. As a player, forget it, he wasn't signing EVER. When he coached with the Dodgers organization, I did get him a few times in Vero but it was always Cardinals cards only. I'll say this, when he does actually sign, he has a great graph!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Let me consider my options ...pour battery acid directly into my eyes or manage the board ?mmmmmmmm (theme song from jeopardy plays in background)...I'll take the 1st option ,
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Mike Dugan

I am coming to this thread a little late but this is the first time I have really sorted through the autograph side.

I worked with Dr. Mike Marshall for two years at Henderson State University in the late 1980s. He was indeed a very interesting fellow and was acually a lot of fun to work with.

We would always play a number of northern teams early each Spring as they took their breaks to head south to get in games while the snow melted at home. This would usually be the first time they were out of gym and we would pound them 30-3, 19-3 and our players just couldn't help it.

After many/most of these games a few of the opponents would always ask Mike to sign their gloves or something and I never once saw him refuse. I might also mentioned that many times these teams would play us again at the end of the week and the scores would be much closer after they had seen some sunshine and knocked off some rust. Funny, they were always pretty sunbruned after a week.

Mike kept a stack of black and white Twins postcards on his desk and would stuff one unsigned into each autograph request he received TTM. He also returned everything sent to him unsigned.

We didn't talk about the signing or lack of very often but he loved to talk baseball. He did have some problems interacting with the rest of the university system. Our budget was pathetic and he couldn't understand why, it really created some problems.

When I resigned to move into a different profession he came to my going away party. As he was about to leave he handed me a paper bag, inside were two signed balls. Both of course signed Dr. Mike Marshall.

While I too have had personal issues watching players from different sports act poorly when asked to sign I can honestly say that Mike was always pleasent and never rude. We have had several phone conversations since that time and he is always great talk with.

As far whether a player should sign or not, I have always felt like they should, it is part of the big picture for their sport. The adoration of the fans is where the TV dollars come from ot to mention the ticket money.

I was fortunate, growing up in the early 60s my two favorites were Bart Starr and Mickey Mantle. I had the chance to see both in person and both were great. I think of the thousands of pro athletes I have encountered over the years Bart Starr, Stan Musial, Brooks Robinson and Ernie Banks are by far the best people I have had the chance to ask for an autograph.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Mark Rios

All these years its a "no", until the money was "right"?

And $150 for him, is like spending $150 on a
1980 Donruss PSA 10 common.

Prick +1

Side note: When I was a batboy for the Yankees in '89,
Canseco would only sign if you spoke to him in spanish.
And Bo Jackson sign a large "X" on photos and
this was IN the clubhouse!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Banned

i agree,

he should lighten up and sign autographs, be happy. life is too short to hold a grudge. he was blessed with enough talent to play major league baseball at its highest level, lighten up and be thankful, sign some autographs for the fans who go to their 9-5 salt mine jobs wishing they could play in the major leagues for just a day.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckus99 View Post
And Bo Jackson would sign a large "X" on photos and this was IN the clubhouse!!!
Wow. I've never met him, but I always pictured Bo as a decent guy towards autograph collectors in person, but......maybe not?

Matt