NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Yet another ridiculously obvious shilled Cobb

This is a T3 which ended on ebay last night -- not a legit bid after $2500: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-T3-Turk...vip=true&rt=nc

The card "ended" at $4699.99 -- and today it miraculously appears back on ebay with a BIN of -- you guessed it -- $4699.99: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-T3-Turk...item3cd90ae679
Old 11-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
This is a T3 which ended on ebay last night -- not a legit bid after $2500: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-T3-Turk...vip=true&rt=nc

The card "ended" at $4699.99 -- and today it miraculously appears back on ebay with a BIN of -- you guessed it -- $4699.99: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-T3-Turk...item3cd90ae679
It looks like maybe someone is trying to artificially inflate the "value" of the card so that when someone says his price is too high, he can "justify" it by referencing last night's listing as precedent. There's some 1980's hockey wax boxes that the same thing is happening and this buffoonish seller got an attitude with me because I told him about it and that his prices weren't reasonable. I was respectful, but it seems like much of the time when you are polite with a card seller and it's not a happy truth for them, their piggish nasty greed attitude comes out and they give you a real obnoxious response. They seem to mistake their cardboard for gold due to these shills and price it based on gold prices. It's similar to someone with a 1980's baseball collection and they get angry with you when you break it to them their 1988 Topps set is not worth $100,000.00 and not rare.

Last edited by Acollector; 11-25-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Of course. This is one of the fallouts of shill bidding: the shilled price sets a false value for the card. This putz couldn't wait two days to put out his card with the false value he set a few hours before.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Of course. This is one of the fallouts of shill bidding: the shilled price sets a false value for the card. This putz couldn't wait two days to put out his card with the false value he set a few hours before.
That sad thing is that it works extremely well, but in the wrong way with the unsuspecting (or in denial) other sellers, and it screws up the buyers. It's also now tougher to prove it to the unsuspecting seller with ebay not showing the bidder ID's, and no longer showing the high bidder that won. A few years ago at least during and when the auction ended, you saw who was bidding along with their feedback and it prevented a lot of this. I think ebay is going to kill itself very soon. I can't say I would feel all THAT bad though.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Tony Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acollector View Post
they get angry with you when you break it to them their 1988 Topps set is not worth $100,000.00 and not rare.
What!?! Not rare? Now what am I going to collect?

This means all of the data the VCP and Cardtarget is sketchy... well, cardtarget is a little better because they don't give your a price for the value of your card, they just capture data. VCP on the other hand tells you what exactly your card is worth...
Old 11-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

One man's safety is another man's shill.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
It looks like maybe someone is trying to artificially inflate the "value" of the card so that when someone says his price is too high, he can "justify" it by referencing last night's listing as precedent.
Except last night's ending price can be considered irrelevant since that sale obviously was never completed -- notice that the card is be sold again by the same seller, except this time with a BIN. I would hope that VCP and CardTarget would not include this as a legit sale (would they?).

Having said that, last night's sale price wouldn't skew things too much with pricing, as a nice T3 Cobb in a PSA 3 holder should get around $4K.

Looks like he also had some convenient help from a friend in the Goudey Ruth auction...

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=261335779687

Last edited by CW; 11-25-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Bill Gregory

Keep fighting the good fight, Jeff!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post

Looks like he also had some convenient help from a friend in the Goudey Ruth auction...

That top bid -- along with the underbid -- is a shill.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Pede poena claudo.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Subpoena duces tecum.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Nulla avarita sine poena est.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua, imdeee
Old 11-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Sean Costello

Res ipsa loquitur... sed quid in infernos dicet.

Last edited by Sean; 11-25-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:07 PM

Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice

(sorry, I'm from Michigan )
Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Subpoena duces tecum.
You should see a doctor for that.

Quote:
Except last night's ending price can be considered irrelevant since that sale obviously was never completed -- notice that the card is be sold again by the same seller, except this time with a BIN. I would hope that VCP and CardTarget would not include this as a legit sale (would they?).

Having said that, last night's sale price wouldn't skew things too much with pricing, as a nice T3 Cobb in a PSA 3 holder should get around $4K.

That's assuming potential buyers are paying attention. If they are careless or new, they may not know what's going on and that type pounces on buyers like that. Let the buyer beware, but sometimes they can't help themselves.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
You should see a doctor for that.

That's assuming potential buyers are paying attention. If they are careless or new, they may not know what's going on and that type pounces on buyers like that. Let the buyer beware, but sometimes they can't help themselves.
Ah, ok I see what you mean now, and I agree. I wasn't sure if you noticed it was the same seller, but I see that you did.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Ah, ok I see what you mean now, and I agree. I wasn't sure if you noticed it was the same seller, but I see that you did.
I did. It's new buyers and inexperienced buyers that mostly get screwed over by sellers like this. The rest that get screwed aren't cynical enough of ebay or are careless and sometimes clueless.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

This Cobb T3 is almost over and the shill bidding is extraordinary -- I think all the top bidders are shills. Somewhere Rick Probstein and the dude who loves his girlfriend but hates San Quentin from PWCC are blushing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251390348321...84.m1438.l2649
Old 11-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Cory

I saw this T3 cobb which is closing in a few hours and wanted it as I'm building the T3 set. I didn't realize it sold a few days ago, listed by the same seller. I've been bid up by the same "winning bidder" Last time. I asked and this bidder didn't buy it nor the under bidder. I don't believe it. I stopped bidding and sent a message to the seller for an explanation.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJoss View Post
I saw this T3 cobb which is closing in a few hours and wanted it as I'm building the T3 set. I didn't realize it sold a few days ago, listed by the same seller. I've been bid up by the same "winning bidder" Last time. I asked and this bidder didn't buy it nor the under bidder. I don't believe it. I stopped bidding and sent a message to the seller for an explanation.
Yes, the same "winning bidder" who the seller claimed didn't pay last week for the card. Seems he's allowed to bid on this one too, solely to drive up the price again. I'm assuming you're presently the underbidder?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Snipe.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Cory

I am the under bidder. I kept bidding from 3k and kept being bid up. I asked why he allowed this bidder to bid on this auction and he replied that he can not stop a bidder from bidding in his auctions. I let him know he can and should.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Um, Cory, the top bidder is a shill. Who on the planet would allow a guy bid again who apparently the day after the last auction ended told the seller he wouldn't be paying for the card?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Cory

Now I understand that. Glad I saw this thread. I want no part of this seller. I'll find another Cobb.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Why anyone bids on a card they really want to win with more than 10 seconds to go is beyond me.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why anyone bids on a card they really want to win with more than 10 seconds to go is beyond me.
really? let me explain......
Old 11-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Cory

The seller messaged me that he is a power seller and if the card isn't paid for this time, he will just keep it (already a plan for it). Not that something a Power seller usually does. Especially a cell phone guy.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:28 PM

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say it ends THIS time at $4699.99.

Give or take....

edit: Nope, only $3662 this time. Looks like the buyer was able to save $1,000 this time around!

Last edited by CW; 11-30-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Not surprisingly it didn't receive another bid after Cory dropped out. The seller will have it back on ebay in no time with a BIN -- assuming he's not reading this thread.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Cory

I would have won it several hundred dollars ago if it was a real auction.