NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Default Variation Hounds - the one that got away...

I know there are quite a few collectors interested in variations so though I'd share this story. I'm sure there are many others who have thought they had something special only to have it slip away...

I'm currently building a '62 Topps set and was recently searching ebay for certain cards. As I looked I found the Frank Lary card on the left. While examining the listing I noticed the "A" in Frank was completely yellow. No big deal for a lot of collectors, but pretty cool for us Variation Hounds! I searched all other listings and any pictures of the card I could find as well as all the known variation lists I'm aware of. Not one other like it mentioned! I bought the card and was pretty excited to unveil it here on Net 54. Well, when I received the card, the A was no longer filled in yellow (small one on right, sorry pic is so small). They are the same card. The air was let out of my variation balloon!

Anyone else have any near miss stories like this. In the end you just got to laugh this stuff off. I should mention the seller has been great and is taking a return on the card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lary1.jpg (76.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 221517827965_1.jpg (9.6 KB, 154 views)
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty

Last edited by brob28; 09-11-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:57 AM

When looking this card up, I noticed that it was peculiar that Lary didn't have a regular 1962 Topps card but was on an all star card and a Wins Leader card from the same year, and even had his own 1962 Topps stamp and 1962 Topps Baseball Buck.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 09-12-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-12-2014, 06:58 AM
Al Richter

Default Larry

Bill-- the L in Larry on both seems defective, and it looks like some red ink went astray as well. I would have kept it

On more than one occasion I have thought I saw something in a scan that turned out not to be there
Old 09-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I, too, have made a purchase only to find the scan was poor. Usually, in reagrds to a color tint (yellow, green). What I've found helps with that now is to look at the seller's other cards listed and see if the tint is consistent through all of their scans.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Reverse story

I had something like that happen in reverse sort of -

A guy had told me he had a 1962 Bazooka box 20 piece variation with Clemente - It is a box I have seen only seen once. When I met him he told me he had made a mistake and the box he had was Aaron, not Clemente. I was DEEPLY disappointed. He asked if I was interested in the Aaron box. I wouldn't have been except it was one of the nicest condition 1962 bazooka boxes I had seen. I was on the fence for a while about buying it. Finally I decided the condition was too good to pass up. I sent it in to PSA to get graded. It graded an 8. BUT WAIT A SECOND! PSA had mislabeled it according to the posted grades as a 1960 box - when I received it, in fact IT WAS a 1960 box! I was so disappointed that it wasn't Clemente, I neglected to notice the fact that in addition to being Aaron it in fact was the MUCH scarcer 1960 Bazooka issue and NOT the 1962!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Bill-- the L in Larry on both seems defective, and it looks like some red ink went astray as well. I would have kept it

On more than one occasion I have thought I saw something in a scan that turned out not to be there
You're right Al, they are "smeared" - funny how variation hounds find different variations desirable or not. I was all worked up over the "filled in A" such that I overpaid a bit for the card, hence the return. I can get you the ebay sellers information if you're interested.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 09-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I had something like that happen in reverse sort of -

A guy had told me he had a 1962 Bazooka box 20 piece variation with Clemente - It is a box I have seen only seen once. When I met him he told me he had made a mistake and the box he had was Aaron, not Clemente. I was DEEPLY disappointed. He asked if I was interested in the Aaron box. I wouldn't have been except it was one of the nicest condition 1962 bazooka boxes I had seen. I was on the fence for a while about buying it. Finally I decided the condition was too good to pass up. I sent it in to PSA to get graded. It graded an 8. BUT WAIT A SECOND! PSA had mislabeled it according to the posted grades as a 1960 box - when I received it, in fact IT WAS a 1960 box! I was so disappointed that it wasn't Clemente, I neglected to notice the fact that in addition to being Aaron it in fact was the MUCH scarcer 1960 Bazooka issue and NOT the 1962!
Now that's a good story Howard, nothing like a pleasant surprise!