NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-06-2016, 07:58 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Corners

Generally speaking, would you rather an EXish condition card have relatively even corner wear or three pretty nice corners with one outlier? This assumes all other aspects of the cards are basically equal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Ne@l K

an EXish condition card with relatively even corner wear all day long

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 09-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Al Richter

I would know it if I saw it
Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Al, I would post some sample scans but I am away from home on the ol smartphone. Dumb guy plus smartphone = not a ton of productivity.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Even. I'm a symmetry guy.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Al Richter

Just being a smart ass, Robert. I only meant that in general I know a card I like when I see it, no matter how it is described by someone else.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-06-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Just being a smart ass, Robert. I only meant that in general I know a card I like when I see it, no matter how it is described by someone else.
Haha I hear ya, Al. I feel the same way. Sometimes what we as collectors like is hard to quantify or explain, we just know that a particular card is 'it."

Old 09-06-2016, 10:10 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
an EXish condition card with relatively even corner wear all day long
That....(no creases)

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 09-06-2016, 10:11 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Even. I'm a symmetry guy.
And that...(still no creases)

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 09-06-2016, 11:30 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I would know it if I saw it
I'll go with this answer. I'm a corner guy in general, and do like some uniformity of wear but depending on the card, may opt either or.

This one (pardon pre-war) has unevenly worn corners, but I'd take it over 4 dinged corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T205 Ty Cobb- N54.jpg (54.6 KB, 153 views)
Old 09-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

another thing to factor in is price..How much apart in range is one from the other.
Of course I like symmetrical no doubt, but it depends on what player/card as well.
You could be talking a 20-50 dollar card or be a 500+ card or even a RC...in the end I like centered as well.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 09-07-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:11 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
another thing to factor in is price..How much apart in range is one from the other.
Of course I like symmetrical no doubt, but it depends on what player/card as well.
You could be talking a 20-50 dollar card or be a 500+ card or even a RC...in the end I like centered as well.
Chris, I agree that the centering is very important. Back in my younger days as a collector, I just wasn't tuned in to centering but that has really evolved with me. And if a bargain could be had, I might also be inclined to give in a bit on symmetry.

I also concur with the sentiment others have mentioned about avoiding creasing, even those of the light variety. I can live with a small corner crease/ding in the vgex range I suppose but not in the body of the card.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:41 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I'll go with this answer. I'm a corner guy in general, and do like some uniformity of wear but depending on the card, may opt either or.

This one (pardon pre-war) has unevenly worn corners, but I'd take it over 4 dinged corners.
Nice card, to an extent. A pet peeve is finding a card in this nice condition and the registry is off. Still...

I'd take it in a heartbeat!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 PM
And*y Quig!ey

I'd go for even wear on four corners. To me, that seems like honest wear in contrast to minor damage.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:00 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Here's an example of what I am talking about. Card A (left) looks to have fairly even wear. Card B (right) has the lower left corner that appears more worn. Assuming the money was the same, which do you buy? Those of you who buy 8s, play along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kaline 2.jpg (77.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Kaline1.jpg (77.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-07-2016, 11:54 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Here's an example of what I am talking about. Card A (left) looks to have fairly even wear. Card B (right) has the lower left corner that appears more worn. Assuming the money was the same, which do you buy? Those of you who buy 8s, play along.
I'd probably go with the one on the left, however if the one on the right's other 3 corners were sharper than they are, I'd probably lean that direction.

Talk about pet peeves, looks to me like the lower left corner of the Kaline on the right has a little flap that's folded up. Back in the day when all my cards were raw and were taken in and out of sleeves more regularly, I ALWAYS made sure any little corner flaps were folded down they were less noticeable, and so the corners/borders remained uniform in color/surface. I've seen a few graded cards where these little corner flaps up, exposing brown cardboard and it drives me crazy!!!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:16 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I'd probably go with the one on the left, however if the one on the right's other 3 corners were sharper than they are, I'd probably lean that direction.

Talk about pet peeves, looks to me like the lower left corner of the Kaline on the right has a little flap that's folded up. Back in the day when all my cards were raw and were taken in and out of sleeves more regularly, I ALWAYS made sure any little corner flaps were folded down they were less noticeable, and so the corners/borders remained uniform in color/surface. I've seen a few graded cards where these little corner flaps up, exposing brown cardboard and it drives me crazy!!!
I was hoping someone else would mention that corner being in the slab like that. The more I have looked, the more it bothers me. Why would PSA do that? Smooth it out, then slab it.