NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Jeff

Default Cards on TV / Movies

While watching Criminal Minds tonight, they showed a genuine 1963 Topps Nellie Fox card. Got me thinking of television shows or movies that displayed real or replica cards or memorabilia. For my money, Sandlot was the coolest with all those cards, autographs, pennants, and HOF busts. The Natural showed some uncut sheets of Roy Hobbs cards that eventually made their way into the hobby. What shows or movies come to mind that showed some of our beloved items?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Jim D

Erkel had a 52 mantle he traded to boyz II men to sing for Laura on Family Matters

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:52 PM

That terrible Brendan Fraser movie "Blast From The Past" has a lot of cards in it. Fraser walks out of a sealed bomb shelter and starts selling his dad's baseball cards to make a living. Alicia Silverstone stops him from getting grifted on a 52 Mantle and some Goudeys.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

The Sandlot
Old 04-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Archive

If I'm correct, I believe Ralphie in "A Christmas Story" had some on the headboard of his bed
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

An episode of Hart to Hart focused on the theft of a suitcase full of 1950s cards.

An episode of MacGuyver dealt with a crooked card dealer.

The Pride of the Yankees had a scene where the young Lou Gehrig and his friends were comparing cards.

Steev

Last edited by Steve D; 04-17-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Steve Skibel

In the movie MASK the kid had brooklyn dodgers cards pinned to a bulletin board and there was a part when he talked about them and trying to get a particular card
Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Patrick N.

Default Major League

I know in major league there is a scene in the locker room and I recall some baseball cards were pinned up in the background, can't remember who
Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Default Stand By Me (1986)

One of my favorite movies.

In one scene, you can see a 1958 Topps All-Star Mantle as well as a 1960 Topps Berra pinned to the wall (although the movie takes place in September of '59).

Old 04-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Jerry

In one Star Trex episode or Movie, I can't remember, an alien had a collection of ancient relics and one was a 62 Maris

Also in the Movie Memphis Belle, One of the crew members has some Playballs.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter67up View Post
In the movie MASK the kid had brooklyn dodgers cards pinned to a bulletin board and there was a part when he talked about them and trying to get a particular card
In that film, Rocky Dennis was looking to get a 1955 Topps card of Rube Walker and ends up trading a '73 or '74 Garvey to get it.

There's a scene where his grandfather comes in and gives him a Pee Wee Reese...by pushing a pin through the card on his bulletin board.

And the scene in that movie that makes me cringe every time I see it...Cher tears one of Rocky's cards in half as a means of punishing him. That bit affects me more than the ending of Old Yeller ever did...
Old 04-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
The Pride of the Yankees had a scene where the young Lou Gehrig and his friends were comparing cards.
This scene always gets to me as well...it's at the beginning of the film. A young Lou G. is trying to get into a neighborhood baseball game but the older kids don't want him. So he pulls some cards out of his back pocket to offer as a bribe.

He said some star names...I know Eddie Collins was one but I don't remember the others. Finally he says, "I have a Babe Ruth!"

The other kid scowls. "A rookie?!"

Times sure have changed...
Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
In one Star Trex episode or Movie, I can't remember, an alien had a collection of ancient relics and one was a 62 Maris
That was an episode of Star Trek: TNG, and the alien was played by Saul Rubinek, who later had a recurring gig on Frasier as Dahpne-lover and divorce lawyer Donny Douglas. The Maris card was supposedly unique, and if I'm not mistaken, was important because he held the single season HR record (show released in 1997).

There were cards on at least one episode of Leave it to Beaver, where Beaver was showing some to his buds at the drug store while they were at the soda fountain.

I'm sure there are more, and I'm sure this topic can be found somewhere in this forum from before.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 PM
David McDonald

Anybody recall the episode on Father Knows Best where Bud sells Robert Young's Cracker Jack collection to buy heroin?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:36 PM

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned "Rain Man" yet. Raymond Babbitt had a nice stack of Reds cards...
Old 04-17-2010, 10:45 PM

Default You are correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I'm sure this topic can be found somewhere in this forum from before.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=77706
Old 04-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Jim D

Al Bundy had a Joe Nuxall card in one episode

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Chris Stufflestreet

There was an episode of Silver Spoons around 1985 where Ricky was seeing if he could corner the market on Tommy Lasorda cards. Lasorda himself shows up a the end with a box of his cards to sell...

I can't believe I remember that.

Another show I remember from the 1980s was The Wonder Years. One episode had Kevin and Paul trading cards. Although it was set in 1968 or '69, you could see from the backs of the cards that they each had a stack of 1989 Topps. While I understand it was a lot easier to go pick up a couple of packs for 50 cents each than it was to purchase authentic 1960s cards for props, I wonder how quickly a non-collector woul notice something like that.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Steven Finley

These are both modern day but, in "House Guest" one of Sinbad's get rich quick schemes is to buy several cases of topps cards.

"Look, there could be a Ken Griffey Jr. in here. It may only be worth a few dollars now, but think about what it would be worth if something where to happen to him."

Also if you are not easily offended "East Bound and Down" was one of the best shows on HBO recently. If you are easily offended you should stay away from it. It's basically a very comedic take on John Rocker, but there is nothing funny about the price Kenny Powers rookies are going for.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-HBO-Eastbou...item35a81a1ff2

Last edited by sbfinley; 04-18-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:05 AM
Jason

There was a Simpsons episode where Milhouse was going to buy a 73 Yastremski because it was the one with the Yaz with sideburns but ending up being convinced by Bart to buy a comic book instead.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:03 AM
Jason

Just thought of another one. The movie was called Needful Things where everyone would do thngs that would eventually turn the town on themselves. Anyways there was a kid named Brian who would perform some act that got him a 1956 Topps Mantle that was just so happened to be autographed personally to him.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Pride of the Yankees and Rainman

If I recall correctly, a young Lou offered a T-card Matty to the kids on his block, so he could get into the game.

Dustin Hoffman, in the start of Rainman, was talking about his BB cards (1950's Topps).

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-18-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Frank Wakefield

There's a Wagner T206 in a rich guy's house in the Hampton's in an early episode of Royal Pains.

The movie Deception is all about cards. Andie MacDowell, Viggo MOrtensen, and Liam Neeson are in it. The backs of some cards have marks beside some of the stats that relate to hidden bank accounts. Lots of cards in the movie.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
There was a Simpsons episode where Milhouse was going to buy a 73 Yastremski because it was the one with the Yaz with sideburns but ending up being convinced by Bart to buy a comic book instead.
There's also a Simpsons episode with a Joe D Play Ball "rookie"... When all the workers at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant get given a $5 voucher as a Christmas gift from Mr. Burns, Mr. Burns gives Homer the old rookie card. Homer takes it to Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop to get money for Christmas, when suddenly the Comic Book Guy offers Homer all the money in his cashier in exchange for the card.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 AM

Default The Goonies

A 1930's deceased Chester Copperpot, had a 1976 Lou Gehrig in his pocket in the Goonies. That is my least favorite part of the movie. Everything else was great, but come on, if you are going to track down a 1976 Topps, it is just as easy to find a 1933 G reprint.

Bob
Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 AM
M@rk Lu7z

In an episode of Green Acres, criminals steal expensive jewelry and stash them in a bin of grain. Unexpectedly, the grain is used to make breakfast cereal, and the cereal is shipped to Sam Drucker's store in Hooterville. Every time someone in Hooterville opens a box of cereal, he takes out a piece of fancy jewelry. For example, Lisa Douglas gets a tierra, and Arnold the pig gets dialmond earrings. But every time Oliver Douglas opens a box, he keeps getting a Yogi Berra card. Great plot, eh?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:40 PM

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the framed cards outside of George's office at Yankee Stadium in Seinfeld. There is a '34 Gerhig among other classics.

Robin Williams office in Good Will Hunting also has some cards. I forget which ones.
JimB
Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 AM
John Hanssen

Good will hunting movie - goudys and topps

How about the nice stash of cards that Robin Williams (Sean Maguire) had in his office when Matt Damon (Will Hunting) and him were talking about Yazs home run - game 6 stay far blast in the 75 WS.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Daryl

Here's an obscure one that I remembered from my childhood; I had to verify via some IMDB searching:

Walter & Emily Season 1 Episode 5 (Aired date: Sat, Dec 14, 1991): "Walter passes on to Zack the prized 1932 Ducky Medwich baseball card he inherited from his father, now worth $1,200."
Old 04-19-2010, 10:44 AM

In Pride of the Yankees, a young Gehrig refuses to trade what looks to be an M type card of Babe Ruth.....
Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDDDqsvwuXw

Kind of fun movie...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Bruce Babcock

A 1997 episode of Deep Space 9 entitled "In the Cards," written by my friend Michael Piller, featured a Willie Mays card. Mike had a tremendous collection.

Sadly, Mike Piller died in 2005 at age 57. We went to a lot of Dodger games together and traded (what a concept!) cards together. Mike's mom co-wrote the song "Meet the Mets."
Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
Good will hunting movie - goudys and topps

How about the nice stash of cards that Robin Williams (Sean Maguire) had in his office when Matt Damon (Will Hunting) and him were talking about Yazs home run - game 6 stay far blast in the 75 WS.
You mean Fisk's home run...right?