NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-18-2014, 02:17 PM
$téve VV1lk

Default What to collect? Complete Sets or HoF Players from that Set

So, I've been trying to collect the 1956 Topps Complete Baseball Set for about 6 months now. I've been buying, selling, and trading. I've found it fun to do this, but when it comes down to collecting the common cards, it's becoming mundane. I've got about 60 common cards, 30 minor star cards, and 20 Hall of Famers so far. I'm considering parting with the common and minor stars and concentrating on just Hall of Famers. Looking at recent sales of complete sets, it doesn't look like there much added value in having common cards, so if I'm not enjoying it as much as collecting the HOF players (I'm still enjoying it but not nearly as much), why collect them, right? My collection is mostly PSA 5 to PSA 7.

I was wondering what anyone out there prefers or has any suggestions.

-Steve
Old 04-18-2014, 02:29 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's so nice when you have the entire set with no missing holes. That's a beautiful thing!

But it sounds like you're treating it like an investment. If that's the case, then you want to spend the least amount to eventually garner the most financial return. So you gotta simply ask yourself, "Am I a collector or am I just looking for a return on my investment?" The answer will steer you in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:00 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It's so nice when you have the entire set with no missing holes. That's a beautiful thing!

But it sounds like you're treating it like an investment. If that's the case, then you want to spend the least amount to eventually garner the most financial return. So you gotta simply ask yourself, "Am I a collector or am I just looking for a return on my investment?" The answer will steer you in the right direction.
I'm not looking to necessarily "invest", but I don't want to lose money when it comes time to sell them (if I need to). First kid is on the way in a few months, and while I'm not spending money that I (ahem... "we") don't have, you never know what the future holds and what cards may have to be liquidated. I'm steering towards playing it safe and collecting just the HoFers, but I need some gentle coersing. I definitely want that complete set, it would be amazing, but I have a feeling that in a couple of months that the project will be put on hold or at least the far-far back-burner.
Thanks for your input, definitely has made me think of it in a new light.

Last edited by wilkiebaby11; 04-18-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Al Richter

Default Sets v Players

Set collectors like me prefer sets, Player collectors prefer players. If investment appreciation is not a major consideration, collect what you like best. A hobby should be fun and interesting to you, whatever anyone else thinks or likes or collects
Old 04-18-2014, 05:10 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Set collectors like me prefer sets, Player collectors prefer players. If investment appreciation is not a major consideration, collect what you like best. A hobby should be fun and interesting to you, whatever anyone else thinks or likes or collects
Thanks. I like the feeling of accomplishment. So I would like to have a "goal" when collecting. I am starting to think that while a complete 1956 Topps Set would be an amazing accomplishment, I don't know if I will have the resources (time and money) to complete it in a timely manner. I think I'll probably reduce and try to collect the HoFers first and leave the complete set for some time in the far future.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Entire sets is not in my budget and I agree the outlay of cash for some commons became painful. Therefore I chose to collect Topps regular issue of Hall of Famers, all Detroit Tiger cards, and sets from the year of my birth forward. I veered from this to complete the 1956 set, only because it is my favorite set and I focused on VG-EX cards.

Like others have stated, collect what you want. Just have fun doing it.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:31 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
Entire sets is not in my budget and I agree the outlay of cash for some commons became painful. Therefore I chose to collect Topps regular issue of Hall of Famers, all Detroit Tiger cards, and sets from the year of my birth forward. I veered from this to complete the 1956 set, only because it is my favorite set and I focused on VG-EX cards.

Like others have stated, collect what you want. Just have fun doing it.
I'm having fun either way! I guess I don't want to quit something that I've started out doing. I don't want to be a quitter and I have an obsessive behavior to finish something that I started (in a good way). I still want to have the fun and fulfillment of collecting, but maybe at not such an extreme goal of 340, 58 year old cards. Shortening my set needs to a simple 32 (albeit a more expense 32), should satiate my collecting needs. Thanks for all suggestions. I just needed a littel encouragement to do what I wanted.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Kev1n @1les

I am a set collector. My standard practice is to buy a set for a good price with some upgrade needs. Most of the time the superstars are less than ideal and I upgrade them in PSA 6 & 7 slabs.

However, I still have a nervous tick from trying to collect '67 card by card. I found while I collected that set that I really didn't mind investing in the superstars - Mantle, Seaver, Carew, etc. The challenge that I had was paying sizable dollars for non-superstar high numbers - Clendenon, Red Sox Team Card, Tommy John, rookie cards of guys that I have never heard of (White Sox, Yankees), yet they would cost pretty serious dollars for the condition that I was looking for.

I have back to '57 with the exception of '61 (still looking for the right set at the right price). As I move to '56-'53 and the sets are 280, 250, 206, and 340 cards - I think that I am going to change my approach. I will look for lots of commons for a few hundred dollars, and then buy the superstars in slabs - versus paying for a set with a low grade superstar and having to upgrade it anyway. The pain will be upgrading the semi-stars and high numbers in between. I am thinking of starting with '54 with this style first as it is all about Banks, Aaron, and Kaline. If I get those, then Mays and the two Williams cards, I can be well on my way just looking for common lots.

I understand you pain, however, and 56 with the 340 cards might be too many to buy card by card - epecially when many commons in any sort of EX type presentable condition start getting expensive - and nothing stinks worse tink sinking a few hundred dollars into cards of guys who you have never heard of.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:13 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
I am a set collector. My standard practice is to buy a set for a good price with some upgrade needs. Most of the time the superstars are less than ideal and I upgrade them in PSA 6 & 7 slabs.

However, I still have a nervous tick from trying to collect '67 card by card. I found while I collected that set that I really didn't mind investing in the superstars - Mantle, Seaver, Carew, etc. The challenge that I had was paying sizable dollars for non-superstar high numbers - Clendenon, Red Sox Team Card, Tommy John, rookie cards of guys that I have never heard of (White Sox, Yankees), yet they would cost pretty serious dollars for the condition that I was looking for.

I have back to '57 with the exception of '61 (still looking for the right set at the right price). As I move to '56-'53 and the sets are 280, 250, 206, and 340 cards - I think that I am going to change my approach. I will look for lots of commons for a few hundred dollars, and then buy the superstars in slabs - versus paying for a set with a low grade superstar and having to upgrade it anyway. The pain will be upgrading the semi-stars and high numbers in between. I am thinking of starting with '54 with this style first as it is all about Banks, Aaron, and Kaline. If I get those, then Mays and the two Williams cards, I can be well on my way just looking for common lots.

I understand you pain, however, and 56 with the 340 cards might be too many to buy card by card - epecially when many commons in any sort of EX type presentable condition start getting expensive - and nothing stinks worse tink sinking a few hundred dollars into cards of guys who you have never heard of.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.
Your last point was pretty much my thought. I've spent hundreds of dollars (probably about $500-$600) on about 70 common cards, that I looked at once and put into my set box, to never been seen other than on my setlist... or I can sell them off and finally get the Mantle in a PSA 5 (or 6 if I'm lucky). I'd look at that one card more often than the 70 common cards sitting in my box.

I think you've all persuaded me to do what I really wanted to do all along!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:10 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
So, I've been trying to collect the 1956 Topps Complete Baseball Set for about 6 months now. I've been buying, selling, and trading. I've found it fun to do this, but when it comes down to collecting the common cards, it's becoming mundane. I've got about 60 common cards, 30 minor star cards, and 20 Hall of Famers so far. I'm considering parting with the common and minor stars and concentrating on just Hall of Famers. Looking at recent sales of complete sets, it doesn't look like there much added value in having common cards, so if I'm not enjoying it as much as collecting the HOF players (I'm still enjoying it but not nearly as much), why collect them, right? My collection is mostly PSA 5 to PSA 7.

I was wondering what anyone out there prefers or has any suggestions.

-Steve
Steve,

For the last few years I considered myself a set guy. However, my budget isn't unlimited. I have come to see that I need/want to make every card count. I want cards that matter to me or effect me in some way. There are sooooo many sets that I love. I will never, ever be able to build them all. I have recently arrived at conclusions similar to yours. So, I have identified key cards from each set that I would really like to have. Over time, I feel as though I could obtain a nice sampling of many different sets. You have to do what you like. You aren't collecting for me or anyone else. Collect what you like, what moves you. If commons feel expensive and burdensome, don't mess with them. A nice smattering of star cards from various sets would be very nice. When I finish my current project, that is what I am doing. There is no wrong way of doing this. Happy collecting!!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Rich Klein

Honestly, if you are only interested in ROI, do some research and buy the best HOFers for the most reasonable prices you can afford and while the ROI may not be swift as these cards are pretty static, at least you have the easiest players to sell when it is time.

If, however, you are wanting to be a collector and if the concept of a full set scares you just go a type set route or a player from each team route or whatever give you the most variety.

I.E. in 1956 Topps I'd go after one card from each team and pick the best player: Mantle Yankees, Williams Red Sox, Clemente Pirates, Aaron Braves, Robinson Dodgers, and then some teams you might not have a future HOFer so you can pick a random A's card such as Spook Jacobs.

Regards
Rich
Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've completed and sold off many sets over the years because I've found that common players don't interest me for the most part [there are some great common cards like the 1952 Topps Zernial] and I don't like to tie up financial resources in them. I no longer bother with sets unless I can pick up a whole set on the cheap. When it comes to postwar cards I basically collect the stars and specific players I like and leave it at that. I also have gotten rid of the high grade stuff because I've found that I'd rather own several lower grade cards of a star than one of his high grade cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 AM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Steve,

For the last few years I considered myself a set guy. However, my budget isn't unlimited. I have come to see that I need/want to make every card count. I want cards that matter to me or effect me in some way. There are sooooo many sets that I love. I will never, ever be able to build them all. I have recently arrived at conclusions similar to yours. So, I have identified key cards from each set that I would really like to have. Over time, I feel as though I could obtain a nice sampling of many different sets. You have to do what you like. You aren't collecting for me or anyone else. Collect what you like, what moves you. If commons feel expensive and burdensome, don't mess with them. A nice smattering of star cards from various sets would be very nice. When I finish my current project, that is what I am doing. There is no wrong way of doing this. Happy collecting!!
Yea, I think that I am going that route. The common cards just arent that interesting to me. I tried doing it, haven't found nearly as much enjoyment in it. I'm sure finally getting the complete set would be surely be worth it in the end, but I think I want the continued enjoyment, rather than one big hurrah at the end, and only to pull out the big name cards ever again.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:51 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I've completed and sold off many sets over the years because I've found that common players don't interest me for the most part [there are some great common cards like the 1952 Topps Zernial] and I don't like to tie up financial resources in them. I no longer bother with sets unless I can pick up a whole set on the cheap. When it comes to postwar cards I basically collect the stars and specific players I like and leave it at that. I also have gotten rid of the high grade stuff because I've found that I'd rather own several lower grade cards of a star than one of his high grade cards.
I 100% agree! That '52 Zernial is awesome. I have no desire to build that entire set, but I would certainly like to snag that one.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
Yea, I think that I am going that route. The common cards just arent that interesting to me. I tried doing it, haven't found nearly as much enjoyment in it. I'm sure finally getting the complete set would be surely be worth it in the end, but I think I want the continued enjoyment, rather than one big hurrah at the end, and only to pull out the big name cards ever again.
I hear ya! I have a complete '53 Topps baseball set that is a nice mid-grade set. I am nearly done with '41 Play Ball.
There are other sets I have toyed with, but I find I am growing less and less patient and my budget is growing ever tighter. So, cherry picking the cards from sets I like is what I am gravitating to. I have a ton of admiration for the set builders on this board! There is no wrong way to do it. I love this hobby!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Jim Parker

I have struggled with this very question....I built the entire 67 set but didn't like paying $50+ per hi# no-name sp (shellenbach, barker, shannon, etc). But I do LIKE having the whole set now that its done. There is no wrong way to do it, but you have to figure out what works for you personally (which sounds like you have). I haven't!

There is a thread over on CU board where a guy has a display case that holds about 30 cards and he rotates the key 30 cards from each topps set, to display on his wall, he posts a pic and you see all the hof-ers from a single set all together. Its quite impressive seeing all the same year cards all grouped together. That always appealed to me, so its something you might want to consider.

We all may be able to picture, say a 63 mantle or aaron or rose, but can you quickly picture a 63 drysdale, banks, gibson, koufax, and billy williams? maybe so, but pick some year and think about it. its a great visual to be able to see all of them together from same year in same style, side by side.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Al Richter

Default 1967

Hey Parker, Shannon is not a nobody

55 + years in baseball , mostly with the Cardinals, including 3 World Series

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-25-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Jim Parker

Hi al. Fair enough! No cardinal redsox or yanks player is a nobody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk