NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default What's your opinion of Modern-Day 'Vintage' Art Cards?

Please excuse me if I have posed this question before:

These are two of the better ones I have seen:

This one is currently on the 'bay:

ODoul.jpg

...and this is one I purchased last year:

Casey Stengel Brooklyn Robins Art Card.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I like 'em but I wouldn't pay more than a few bucks for them. I have picked up some of these Edward Vela art cards lately both from the artist direct as well as secondarily. They are really nice in hand:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I feel like they look much better in picture than in person. A little disapointed in them.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Was there EVER a time when Stengel didn't look old?
Old 01-09-2017, 04:58 PM

I tend to think of them as junk. If you just want to look at the picture, you can Google Image Search that. What's significant about owning the card itself? (Contrast with actual old cards, where owning the card itself is the whole point.)

There are tons of them on e-bay, and I always hope that the people bidding on them know that they're not old.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I have been a fan and collector of the Ars Longa 19th century Detroit cards.

I hold myself to a budget limit as some of the cards command a healthy premium. Check out Sam Thompson, for example, I'm patiently waiting for one within my budget.

http://arslongaartcards.com/series/beginnings-1880s/

I like them and will continue to pursue them. I do not collect them with expectation to profit but instead to enjoy them for what they are, well done color depictions of the players I enjoy.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 01-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

No different IMO than a reprint, whether or not they look cool.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:30 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I should have also noted that they allow you to obtain cards that never were but perhaps should have been. I particularly like the Helen Dauvray card with her cup that she would present to Detroit in 1887.

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 01-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default I have only one

I don't know why.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 01-09-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Dave Johnson

I personally love them!

I collect Sam Crawford so I have tried to pick up his cards from these issues...mainly because there are not a lot of vintage Crawford cards available, and many that are available are WELL outside of my personal budget.

Some of these cards are very beautiful and if you are into the collecting of cards, then I think these fill a nice niche in the hobby.

I think some could argue some of the prices that some of these cards command is a little bit on the ridiculous side at times...The people making these state they are limited to only so many...but of course there is no way other than taking them at their word that this is in fact the case.

It does seem like Helmar and Ars Longora, Banty Red and Sporting Life all have a bit of a following. (as disclosure I helped do some of the back write ups for the person that makes the Sporting Life Famous Golfers set)

Will they ever be worth a ton of money? Maybe not, maybe some will? It seems that an auction has sold some of the Helmar cards in the past and they seemed to bring some pretty good prices, even in that format.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I enjoy the artwork and they cost about what a Starbucks does so I see no harm. I wouldn't buy the expensive ones.

Or not...
Old 01-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Marty H.

Here is a reprint photo with Ars Longa and Helmar Art Cards.
...Guess an artists fav. Gibson pose.

martyfromcanada-img_20160208_192356008.jpg
Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Luke Lyon

I think they're cool. Some more than others of course depending on the artwork. One great thing about them is they lend themselves to framing and display in situations where you wouldn't put up a valuable tobacco cards on your wall. I also agree with Adam and wouldn't spend any real money on them but if they are cheap, why not? Not too different in my mind than spending $10 on a box of 1988 Fleer because it will be fun to open the packs, even if the cards might not be worth anything when you're done opening them.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Seems like modern day Broders to me. Broders were cool, too at the time.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Jason Wells

I dont mind them and have others have said I wouldnt pay big bucks for them either. There is a really nice Virginia League Helmar Card with a T206 SL Portrait head shot from each team I wouldnt mind adding some day.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

$70 average for Thompson. I bought 2 nice T205s for that yesterday......

Nice artwork but not for me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
I have been a fan and collector of the Ars Longa 19th century Detroit cards.

I hold myself to a budget limit as some of the cards command a healthy premium. Check out Sam Thompson, for example, I'm patiently waiting for one within my budget.

http://arslongaartcards.com/series/beginnings-1880s/

I like them and will continue to pursue them. I do not collect them with expectation to profit but instead to enjoy them for what they are, well done color depictions of the players I enjoy.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Nothing wrong with them, but I just don't understand the prices on some of them. I also wonder about the legality of it. Are they paying a cut to the teams or the players?

Besides, it's really easy just to make your own:

Old 01-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I agree on the question of legality as I have never seen any proof that the estates or licensing fees were ever followed. If you are making them for yourself it's one thing, but these are made strictly for profit thus illegal without royalties.

I am also wholeheartedly against any of these that are artificially aged to look like a vintage card and have no production date as it is ripe for abuse.

If you want one, I think they have zero value now and in the future, so under 10 bucks enjoy it. Over that? Well, then it's just in the throwing money away category.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Pretty crazy what the "1952" Banty Reds are going for. These are SOLD prices. Not sure if the high bidders are just very appreciative of high quality art cards or if they believe these are truly vintage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Nice to look at (sometimes) and zero interest in owning them.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Pretty crazy what the "1952" Banty Reds are going for. These are SOLD prices. Not sure if the high bidders are just very appreciative of high quality art cards or if they believe these are truly vintage.

Holy BLEEP, that is crazy. It is horrible that they are not putting a date(2017) or something on the cards to indicate they are modern.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Holy BLEEP, that is crazy. It is horrible that they are not putting a date(2017) or something on the cards to indicate they are modern.

IMO No need - I would think that almost everyone sees the difference between those and the real 1952 cards- different poses too.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

These backs are very different from 1952 Topps. Here is an example from the "1952" Hank Aaron.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 05-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
IMO No need - I would think that almost everyone sees the difference between those and the real 1952 cards- different poses too.
People try to sell crappy reprints as real. I can easily see people trying to con others with these.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:23 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I did a t205 update set for funsies a few years ago...meant to print them out but never really did...feel free to print a set if you like...some turned out better than others.

http://s235.photobucket.com/user/bbc...?sort=6&page=1
Old 05-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I did a t205 update set for funsies a few years ago...meant to print them out but never really did...feel free to print a set if you like...some turned out better than others.

http://s235.photobucket.com/user/bbc...?sort=6&page=1
Really nice work!

Old 05-01-2017, 10:09 PM
Curt

I own a few ACEO cards and one of the Banty Red cards, all Steve Garvey. I stopped buying when other bidders were jumping the price up over $5 in most cases. They were fun to chase for something new at first, but eventually you have to realize that they keep getting churned out. There will be an endless supply of limited cards like this as long as people are paying 2 and three figures for them!

The one I really wanted and didn't get was a 1978 art card that went for about $45, well beyond what I would want to pay. The guy who bought it resisted it for $150 and there it has sat since.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

To me these have a little bit of art value, very little. For a very low price (5 bucks or less) I could see owning one. I remember buying a Joe Jackson, on the Pelicans, Reach cut out from a magazine. It went well with a premium I had and was about 10 bucks. Same idea here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I own a few ACEO cards and one of the Banty Red cards, all Steve Garvey. I stopped buying when other bidders were jumping the price up over $5 in most cases. They were fun to chase for something new at first, but eventually you have to realize that they keep getting churned out. There will be an endless supply of limited cards like this as long as people are paying 2 and three figures for them!

The one I really wanted and didn't get was a 1978 art card that went for about $45, well beyond what I would want to pay. The guy who bought it resisted it for $150 and there it has sat since.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Yeah. I really loved the job Banty Red did on their "1952" Hank Aaron. I would have been game at under $10, even if they printed a million of them. As it is, I think the lone copy they're issuing for now went for around $100. At that point I would ABSOLUTELY rather get a real Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Gary McNabb

I don't own any and have no desire to own any, but refuse to judge others on what they want to collect.I do object to any mis-repretention or fraud in trying to pass these cards off as real....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Old 05-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Well said. If we all had a nickel everytime a completely obvious fake Honus Wagner or Babe Ruth card (autographed, no less!) sells on eBay for more than a dollar, we could quit our day jobs.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Sam Lemoine

This one is in a PSA slab. Now mind you, there is no grade or certification number on it, but on the slab it clearly says "1936" and not anything about it being modern. I could see that fooling a newbie that doesn't collect prewar cards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banty-Red-On...gAAOSwfRdZOCmg
Old 06-17-2017, 04:04 PM
Greg Mitchell

I had only seen them in PSA slabs when they would be labeled "1 of 1." Didn't know they were getting others slabbed. In fact, I didn't know PSA was slabbing modern/vintage cards at all, although with no grades.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
This one is in a PSA slab. Now mind you, there is no grade or certification number on it, but on the slab it clearly says "1936" and not anything about it being modern. I could see that fooling a newbie that doesn't collect prewar cards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banty-Red-On...gAAOSwfRdZOCmg
What's the point of paying to slab that?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
To get some fool to pay way more than it is worth. It is a 1936 card in a PSA slab after all.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:41 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I have no interest in them
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Kind of neat advertising maybe?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

IMO sticking this stuff into green label PSA holders labeled 1936 is fraudulent. Should be labeled 2017.

Or not...
Old 06-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I agree on the question of legality as I have never seen any proof that the estates or licensing fees were ever followed. If you are making them for yourself it's one thing, but these are made strictly for profit thus illegal without royalties.
Generally, there's a line between artwork (no fee required, generally, under any theory due to First Amendment considerations) and commercial product (fee required). A painter, for example, does not have to pay a fee to anyone to paint and sell an original Babe Ruth portrait; that's considered fair use and protected artistic expression. But he would probably have to pay a fee to create a mass produced commercial card set from the art. That's probably why the listings on these cards stress the work and customization that go into each piece, probably why they engage in so much hand distressing of the cards, and probably why the art cards are very limited editions: they are trying to set up an art defense. The further you go towards mass production and away from customization, the closer to the line of copyright and trademark and publicity rights. And believe me, the publicity racketeers are watching this. There are law firms that spend all of their time trolling the Internet on behalf of clients looking for uses of their clients' names, images, products, trademarks, etc., then shaking down the users for damages under the copyright, trademark and publicity laws. The remedies under these laws are draconian; even a small improper commercial use that makes very little money can result in crippling damages and liability for attorneys' fees.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-21-2017 at 05:48 PM.