NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Cobb Red Cycle Back Opinion

Posted By: Brian

Old school SGC holder...I wish I could get a better scan. But does the card look short top to bottom

thanks
Brian

Old 09-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig Lipman

Borders on top and bottom look too narrow to me.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

The top looks fine to me. I'd be more worried about the bottom, it's clearly not stright.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

how did that get by?.....looks like a big goof or someone did something else down the line. I couldn't breathe right with that one.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:47 AM
Administrator

I updated the photo in the first post from a cropped JPEG to a full JPEG. The card is currently on Ebay. I won't lie, I really want a Cycle back Cobb, in fact I've been asking several board members if they knew anyone who had one...nada. If anyone does, please contact me.

I suspect that this card will go for a high price considering the back and the condition of the card. I personally will not open my pocket book considerably because I don't like the narrow borders on the top and bottom. The card does appear to fill the "insert", but they still look small. Additionally, the old rather than new SGC holder throws up a little caution for me. Two final notes, SGC confirms the cert # and after several emails back and forth with the seller, seems legit also.

Any more thoughts now? Is this card short?

thanks

Brian
engelhard@hotmail.com

Old 09-20-2005, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Trimmed.

I also want one bad...

but can't spend good money on a bad card.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Look at the distance between the bottom of the "C" in Cobb and the bottom of the "T" in Detroit in reference to the bottom edge. The top is relatively straight, so no chance for a slight diamond cut. On a lesser value card, I might drop $20 or $30 knowing that the card is probably trimmed. Hold onto your money...this one will sell for big $'s but will depreciate as soon as the winner takes it out of the envelope.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I'd have to see the card up close, but there's nothing from that image that suggests to me that the card is trimmed. The fact that it looks shorter than other t206 means nothing. I have several that are shorter and not trimmed. The back of the card up close would reveal whether is has been cut or not.
robert

Old 09-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Administrator

scan of the back added up top; my concern is that the card looks short and and is a condition that should increase skeptism with respect to trimming. If the card was in Good condition and short, less chance for trimming than Excellent and short.

Would still love to have it though. I just wonder that if it was reslabbed, if we'd still see a SGC 60 or an "authentic" slab. I'm not a big fan of authentic slabs.

Brian