NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-11-2018, 02:15 PM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

Default US House of Representatives - Rep. Chris Collins

Hi, did anyone know that the above Congressman who if you have been following the news is accused of wrong doing, is also an avid Mickey Mantle collector, and has the highest rated Mickey Mantle Set on the PSA Set Registry and has been recognized by PSA for his master set. I make no comment about the Congressman, either way, just thought this was an interesting tidbit.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I met Chris at the National in AC a couple years ago and we had a great talk about cards for about an hour while he had a cigar. I enjoyed the conversation very much and, yes, he told me about his Mantle collection and how it took a while but he eventually got the #1 spot on the registry. Even though he had a superstar Mantle collection and was a Congressman, he never treated me like a low level collector or anything less than an equal and fellow collector. It wasn't until after we talked for an hour that he introduced himself as a Congressman and he gave me a congressional challenge coin when we parted ways. He was a very nice guy and I'm sorry to hear he is accused of wrong doing.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Howard Chasser

Default That's crazy!!

No crazier than so much else in the world today of course! I never knew he was in politics. I sold him a rare Mantle card for his set. His set was deserving of the PSA recognition, what he was able to assemble in such a seemingly short time on the registry is unreal.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:45 AM
+0m J()rd@N

NVM, sounds like a great collection.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 08-12-2018 at 02:35 PM. Reason: "if you got nothin' good to say, then don't say nothin"
Old 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Much more than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Maybe that was enabled by the insider trading, if the accusations are true???
He has things in that collection that he had to unearth from so many different places and some things that unless he decided to sell, money couldn't buy. Sad about the insider trading thing (if it's accurate) - but wow! What a collection.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:22 PM
Val Kehl

Three years ago, I sold this very scarce 1953-54 Briggs Meats - Mickey Mantle card via eBay to someone in upstate NY (near Buffalo). I sold this card to raise $$ to buy some cards I wanted in the upcoming auction of Leon's fantastic type-card collection. I later learned the buyer was NY Republican Congressman Chris Collins, and we exchanged a couple of emails. Had I known at that time that the buyer was a Congressman, I would have asked if I could deliver the card to him at his Capitol Hill office in DC (I live in a DC suburb). I assume this card now resides in a PSA slab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Briggs Meats - Mantle - front.jpg (78.0 KB, 522 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Three years ago, I sold this very scarce 1953-54 Briggs Meats - Mickey Mantle card via eBay to someone in upstate NY (near Buffalo). I sold this card to raise $$ to buy some cards I wanted in the upcoming auction of Leon's fantastic type-card collection. I later learned the buyer was NY Republican Congressman Chris Collins, and we exchanged a couple of emails. Had I known at that time that the buyer was a Congressman, I would have asked if I could deliver the card to him at his Capitol Hill office in DC (I live in a DC suburb). I assume this card now resides in a PSA slab.
Hi Val,

You're absolutely right that this card now resides in a PSA holder and is part of the Collins set.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-19-2018, 10:23 AM
Chris

Quote:
I really regret not buying that from you at the time.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:15 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Sad about the insider trading thing (if it's accurate) - but wow! What a collection.
We could all have rare and expensive cards if we chose to lie and cheat the system on the level he did.

Last edited by conor912; 08-19-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
We could all have rare and expensive cards if we chose to lie and cheat the system on the level he did.
Chris has a few of my former Mantles in his collection and he is a very very wealthy man... the insider trading accusations regardless of being guilty or not is not how he created his wealth... the opposite in fact as that trading accusation has cost him quite dearly, both monetarily and reputation.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:42 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

One thing about politicians is, since their job exists due to votes from the public, they are well versed in being friendly to and interacting with the general public. It's not as if a politician running for office is going to turn down an autograph request from a potential voter.

Last edited by drcy; 08-20-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I really regret not buying that from you at the time.
Chris, I also wish that you were the purchaser. And, I wish that I had held onto it for a year or so longer, as the prices for scarce Mantle cards seemed to skyrocket after I sold it.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
One thing about politicians is, since their job exists due to votes from the public, they are well versed in being friendly to and interacting with the general public. It's not as if a politician running for office is going to turn down an autograph request from a potential voter.
True. However, they usually won't spend an hour for one vote.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Larry

Quote:
IMHO, describing that card as "very scarce" is extremely conservative. Personally, I am more than OK with "down-right rare."

I'm glad it at least went to someone who will appreciate it (buy rare, significant, and in the best condition you can find or afford!).

May your collecting be joyful,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 08-27-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Matt

Guess we know where all that (alleged) insider trading money went.

Last edited by MattyC; 09-04-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:08 AM

Default glass houses

Let he who hasn't cheated on his income taxes cast the first stone !

As a collector he always answered my emails when I had questions about Mantle cards and was there to offer info and advice on my collection. No, I don't live in his district...As a fellow collector he is an A+ in my book.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmourPhil View Post
Let he who hasn't cheated on his income taxes cast the first stone !

As a collector he always answered my emails when I had questions about Mantle cards and was there to offer info and advice on my collection. No, I don't live in his district...As a fellow collector he is an A+ in my book.
Well said, Phil; the paraphrase of the Lord Jesus Christ's words are most apropos here. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 09-20-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://buffalonews.com/news/pardone...5d91f7b6b.html
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.