NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Default T205 ghost

After reading leons last thread about his new ghost pick up, i was wondering if a ghost image on the front or back is more or less or equal in rarity or value.

Also any info would be a learning exp for me
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I would think that back ghosts are significantly rarer then front ghosts based on examples from their sister set.

Most front ghost we see on T206s are usually an ink layer of the same player being significantly off register. These are neat but do not bring in the premium of the next two types of ghosts.

A few rare examples of an upside down and different player (like Leon's McGraw) ghosts have been found in both sets. I would classify this as a printer test/scrap but may still get a numerical grade. Several of these showed up in a recent Goodwin auction.

Almost as rare are back ghost examples. A few theories on how these happen have been discussed on the board, its likely an issue with the print press. The examples I have seen (other then Leon's Young ghost) have the same player on the front and the back but in a mirrored/reversed print. The T206 examples bring in a significant premium.

I havent seen a T205 back ghost example, but I sure would like to.. Ghosts are my favourite type of "error" but my understanding of them is limited, hopefully the more knowledgeable members can jump in.

Last edited by atx840; 12-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Jamie

Hi.. I am not sure about T205s... but with T206s.. it is rarer to have a "true" ghost on the front than the back...

I say a "true ghost" because... many people consider a double exposure a ghost... double exposures... are where the same player appears twice on a card

This double exposure. will increase the value of a $40 card to $400-$500.

A double exposure is not a true ghost.

"a true ghost" on the front will have a different player shown from the player who the card is of. This will jump the value sky high... a black more detailed ghost will be more expensive than a color version which is more of a Silhouette. See examples below:
color front ghost. Silhouette style

Black ink (more Detailed) front ghost.. very rare..

Ghosts on the back... commonly get confused with wet sheet transfers.. wet sheet transfers do not increase the value in my opinion.... a true ghost on the back will have the border of the card.. and is usually the same player as is on the front... value is also very high on these.

notice the border on the bottom of the weimer (the chance above has it as well)

Then there are ghosts that have multiple errors with them... like multiprint backs.. or split backs.. or upside down backs... along with the ghosts...
This also is extremely rare.. and value is sky high

Hope this is helpful

Last edited by Blunder19; 12-16-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Jamie

With Chris's explanation.. he is including double exposures as front ghosts..

if you separate double exposures.. into their own category...then front ghosts are rarer than back ghosts.. it all depends what you consider a ghost..

I don't consider double exposures ghosts
Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 PM

Default great explainations....

Jamie and Chris, i just shed a tear........excellent......and right on....

The students have become the masters
Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Nice write up Jamie...your ghost collection is second to none.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Pup6913

Well said gentlemen. Back ghost are scarcer than fronts in the T205 set. Most of them found are double exposures and not true ghost like Leon's McGraw. Not many scraps, errors, ghost, or missing colors are found in the T205's Buy them if and when you can!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

thanks for the info fellas, verry helpful
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 AM

Default tid bit....

front "ghosts" or TRUE FRONT GHOSTS are really OVERPRINTS......in order for it to be the rare version OF ANY GHOST, the printer had to actually "plate" or PRINT the ghost directly on the card board......

double front exposure are labeled by sgc as "ghost", but the true ghosts are OVERPRINTED like jamies FERGY....WHICH BTW is the rarest type of ghost and tufest.....front uppy ghosts of another player....THEY ARE SICK....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 145.jpg (73.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 AM
Rob

Folks. I hate to say, but for me, it's just poor condition.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Default one man's trash....

is another man's treasure.....my precious
Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Folks. I hate to say, but for me, it's just poor condition.
Agreed. These are rejects and should be valued less than an "A". They don't belong in a serious collection.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Steve, we haven't seen your reject in a very long time....need more ghosts in here

My favorite card in your collection Johnny, a true snowflake
Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM
pete ullman

While I don't collect such stuff...a wiseman once said..."the stone that the builder refuse...will be the head corner stone!"
Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

sometimes its not the most mint or the best player but the rarest and unique card, maybe even 1 of a kind weather its an error in printing, a short print, or a card most people simply dont have and just cant seem to get.

I have seen a few ghosts on this forum that may just be 1 of a kind, my fav i saw here and also on t205.org, real cool one.

Weather its that gaedel rookie (not worth much but tuff to find) the gad card #46 again not worth much but VERY hard to find, or a unique ghost / error card. Just fun stuff to have, esp when almost no one else has that same one

Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 PM

Default EK

you figured it out(at least my philosophy)...and yes, i'm a philosopher, i think very deeply.........(.props to 'ol school bdp)

CONDITION MATTERS NOTHING TO ME.........

RARITY MEANS EVERYTHING TO ME............

one of a kind= me

BTW CHRIS,THANKS!! Bender one of my top 5 fav snowflakes in the circus

Last edited by mrvster; 12-17-2012 at 07:53 PM.