NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Default Need help with a sales strategy.

Hi Net 54 friends,

I know you are mostly card guys on this side, but I am asking for your help. My name is Robert Slatkin. I have been collecting baseball memorabilia for about 30 years, with the past 15 to 20 years mainly focused on baseball newsphotos.

The past couple of years have been very difficult for me financially with my wife getting cancer, and some other issues I don’t need to share with everyone. I am not looking for sympathy, just some advice on how to best sell some items and raise some needed money to pay bills.

While collecting, I have picked up different kinds of collectibles and Americana with individual values anywhere between $20 and $300++ (everything from original Redline Hotwheels, to posters and ephemera, coins, cookie jars, etc.). I also have some sports (mostly baseball) memorabilia items valued between $25 and $500+. I believe most auction houses only want higher priced items. Although I have a good idea of the values, I have very little experience as a seller.

It seems hard to find one seller to do the best on both the collectibles stuff and the sports memorabilia. Auction House, Ebay, private sales, I don’t mind any of them as long as it is a good source to maximize the sales price.

Can anyone recommend someone who would be a good source to sell the collectibles and Americana?
Also, someone to sell baseball memorabilia in the price range mentioned?

The only company I have spoken to is Huggins and Scott, which I am considering. How is Hakes?

Thank you for your help!!! I sincerely appreciate it. (I am posting to both the card side and memorabilia side).
Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I don't have a solid suggestion for you. Mears may have the largest following for newsphotos given what they have auctioned off over the last couple years. Mainly replying to give you a bump back to the top. I'm sure someone will have good advice. Best of Luck!
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Rob

Robbie,

I think the two places you named are what baseball card collectors think of when they think Americana and baseball related items. Lelands also. You can't go wrong with any of those. I think of Mears as game-used bats and uniforms and that stuff.

If I were you I'd sell it myself on ebay, but you could also try one of the big ebay sellers or even one of those local shopping center isolditebay sellers.

good luck

Rob
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 AM

Huggins and Scott is good. They sell a good variety of stuff and are reputable.

You can try your hand at eBay. If you've bought from there, you may already have a good feedback number which will aid you.

I don't think selling is an either/or situation. You can sell in different avenues. Consign here, sell some stuff on ebay, sell some stuff privately.

Last edited by drc; 01-09-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Joe M.

Try selling on ebay, I sold thousands of items for my daughter when her husband died suddenly. His collection consisted of hot wheels, comics, sport items, action figures lead soldiers, Marx items and many other subjects.

It takes lot of time creating the ads and shipping items, but for the value of items you have this is the better way. Unless you have items worth thousands most auctions don't want the lesser value items.

Just my opinion based on experience.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM

Robert,

Your stuff might not be "auction worthy" so the big auction houses might not be interested. I do recommend consigning to Hakes, Morphy's, Mosby's
(http://mosbyauctions.com), and Parzow. These auction houses are all very reputable and they all accept lower end items that the larger places won't take.

Selling the stuff yourself on ebay is always possible, but it would be very time consuming. You could consign it all to one of the larger, reputable ebay sellers like Probstein123, Henry Yee, etc,...

You also could try setting up at the Chantilly show for the sports related material. (http://www.csashows.com)

Good Luck !!!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Hank Thomas

Very sorry to hear about your wife, Robert, I hope she has a full recovery.

Many good suggestions and names here for auctions. As has been mentioned, selling on eBay is a LOT of work and will take you a long time. Also, eBay seems to have died in the last few months, or at least been seriously wounded, when it comes to quality sports memorabilia. Very little good stuff on there recently, and it's my impression that fewer people are looking and selling. I don't know if this is simply temporary and will turn around, but it's been a pretty drastic change from what I've seen for many years.

Best of luck with everything.
Hank
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

I would get in contact with B&L auctions. I did well with some stuff like that with them. They started with low openers and I was very suprised with the results. To say the least I was very happy and they are A+ to consign with. I wish you the best.

I also had my daughter diagnosed with leukemia in 2011 and she is doing very well now. Just remember no matter how tough and nasty it gets Be Positive.

Member since 2009
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM

Default .

Last edited by asoriano; 01-09-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Matt E.
Banned

Please contact me regarding the Redlines. I am primarily interested in those castings from 1968 - 1972. I will send a PM with my contact information.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Ja,mie B.

Since you are going through a very stressful situation with your wife, I would not take on all the legwork of selling them yourself on ebay. It is just too much to manage.

You could consign them to someone to sell them for you on ebay, however. Ebay may have a larger audience for those types of small items than an auction house.

I've consigned with davidbvintage.com, and he was great, but I don't know if he deals with collectibles outside of baseball cards. But there are others out there.

Sorry to hear about your situation, and I wish you and your wife well.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Default Thank you for helping.

I want to sincerely thank those of you who have taken the time to post helpful information. You are the people that make this hobby great, and in my opinion understand what should be the strongest bond that brings us together on this wonderful site; the love of the hobby, and to support others who do, as well.

As I initially mentioned, I have been in the hobby for 30 years. And although I don't post often, I will bet I have spoken to, seen, know, or met every single one of you who were kind enough to take your time to help with suggestions. Thank you guys.

Robbie