NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Autographs & Game Used B/S/T

Old 02-16-2016, 07:18 AM

Default Helping out a former MLB player & friend

Over the last 5-6 years I have befriended former major leaguer and Pittsburgh Pirate, Cholly Naranjo. We met at a baseball event, and a few months later, when I went to visit my mother in Florida, we caught up. He took me to visit a few of the older Cuban players. I kept in touch with him on the phone and I helped him to get a lot of photos, press clippings and other related information on his career. I visit him a few times a year when I go to see my mom and even hosted him at my home for a few days when he needed to attend a family wedding.

I've built a wonderful relationship and I consider him like another member of my family. He has provided me with a lifetime of experiences and friendship in these few short years and I have done my best to return it with whatever help I could provide him with the various agencies he deals with as a retired player and citizen, which leads to the reason for this post.

About a year ago, it pained me greatly when he called to inform me that one of baseball's retiree assistance programs was discontinuing the aid they provided him for the many years at the age of 80 after they had a change in administration, basically telling him to go fend for himself. He wasn't sure how he was going to make his rent when he received the news. Imagine being 80 years old and having the rug pulled from under you.

After feverishly scrambling to help get him some assistance from a smaller retired players organization, I told him that I would ask the community here to get involved. Being so humble, he initially refused, but w/ the help of a friend who created these custom cards (he never had an official MLB card) that I had Cholly sign.

We created a 4-card set (limited to 20) that we are asking $25 for each set pp gift or money order + $4 s/h. I have eight sets left. I just visited him last month and the funds could really go a long way. Send me an inbox if you are interested or want to help further.

Last edited by metrotheme; 02-27-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:31 AM
N@te

How much would he charge if people were to send him a ball or photos to sign, along with a sase? $5 a pop?

Just wondering if I can spread the word around that he would accept items via mail.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 AM

If there is enough interest, I can collect items for him to sign and them mail them to him.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Do the custom cards have backs also or are they blank? The fronts look great.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 AM

They have stat and info backs that are in the same design as the year on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Do the custom cards have backs also or are they blank? The fronts look great.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Steven Finley

I'll take a card, just one for $25 to stretch the sets out. Your choice. Anyone want to match me and help this former player out? Maybe get this guy a $100 for a set?
Old 02-16-2016, 01:31 PM

This is so generous of you. I will wait to see if three other members are willing to break up a set. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
I'll take a card, just one for $25 to stretch the sets out. Your choice. Anyone want to match me and help this former player out? Maybe get this guy a $100 for a set?
Old 02-27-2016, 06:51 AM

Sets have been mailed to all who have so generously contributed. I still have a few more left for those who are interested in helping out. If so, please send me a PM.