NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Default Buying Raw Off Dealer Websites

Posted By: Chris

Just curious how you guys proceed when dealers have numerous raw cards listed on their site that you want, but scans aren't available for any or most of them. There are a few dealers, such as Mickey's and David Levin, who I'd probably buy more from if they posted more scans, but I'd hate to request scans of 30-40 cards. Do you ask for desciptions or do you just buy them blind? I've tried the latter to a small degree, and have gotten some nice cards, but also received some that I wouldn't have bought had I seen them upfront.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

I've bought raw sight unseen from a few dealers. Mark Macrae has always been really solid, his grading is accurate IMO and if I do send them in to get graded always seem to be spot on. The last time I bought a card from Wayne Varner that he listed as EX it was much better than that, and it ended up grading a 7.
Levin seemed a bit liberal on his grading, as did Kit Young. Both will take returns with no questions, so there really isn't a risk, and both a great to deal with. I bought twice from Fritsch and they were so far off I sent them back and won't even bother looking again. Lipset grades about the same as Fritsch and anything below his given grade of EX is a real adventure.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I have had the same experiences, although never dealt with Lipset.

I will not buy any card (raw or graded) sight unseen anymore. There's rarely any reason to do so, and from my experience, the uncertainty is not worth the headache...

Old 10-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I'll have to look up Mr. Macrae. That sounds promising. I know that Levin will take returns, but I'm looking for someone I can buy from regularly, as my budget allows, and having to constantly send back cards would be a pain to both of us. And I'm not putting him down - I've bought both undergraded and (to my eyes) overgraded cards from him. I definately consider him to be an honest dealer, but grading is subjective. If he had more scans, I'd buy from him all the time.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Chris,

I've bought from Mark, he's a hobbyist from way back. And believe it or not he doesn't have time for a website. If your into West Coast stuff like Zeenuts, he's your guy.

Peter C.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

I know a few years ago Mark was telling me he had a list of clients that have a set budget every month. He had their want list , and sent them a shipment monthly and billed their credit card.
I"ll agree with Peter on the PCL stuff, but he's not limited to just that. In the last year I've bought '73 Topps tests, E91's, and a lot of stuff in between from Mark.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan W.

As an American living in Hong Kong and actively collecting this is an issue near and dear to me.

I'm not going to name names, but I insisted on getting scans prior to purchasing from some of the websites/dealers mentioned in this thread and boy am I glad I did. Multiple "NM" cards were not even close...

That said, Gar Miller was excellent and sent me 4 pages of scans and his website grades were spot on with the scans. On a side note, I missed the postman today and have a notice of a package from Gar waiting for pickup at the post office --- will be salivating all weekend until I can get it on monday.

Anyways, does anyone have an email address for Mark Macrae?
After the positive comments about buying bulk sight unseen from him I'd like to send an order his way.
Also, who is Mickey's that you are referring to?

Thanks,
Ryan W.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Mickey's is
http://sales.mickeyssportscards.com/stores/mickeys/StoreFront.bok

don't feel comfortable posting Mark's email, but I'll send it to you in a minute.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan W.

Thanks Anthony, much appreciated.

Once again, just want to note how much I'm enjoying this board -- great people with solid advice and a willingness to share their experiences, top notch!

Regards,
Ryan W.