NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2016, 07:13 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
OK...well has anyone been contaced by a TPG'er afer a submission...to be notified that they have dramatically undervalued a submitted card(s) and that they will have to pay a higher fee if they want the card graded?
When I found out they were charging $700 for a $10,000 card, I questioned what is so special/different about a $10,000 dollar card compared to a $9,000 dollar card or less?

I believe it was answered above, but I initially thought PSA, seeing your good fortune also wanted a piece of the action?

Just curious, do any of you see either of these cards costing me $700 dollars U.S. ($1000+ CdN) to get these graded?

Last edited by irv; 04-05-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
$700, wow - does the increased grading fee get your more eyes or a more expert grader? Or is it just participation in the secondary value of the card? Don't give me the blah blah blah about how it is about insuring a more valuable card against loss or damage on the premises.
yes to just about all.

more informed grader.
a hellavu lot faster service. usually same day.
notes as to what held it back.

the notion of sending it to an auction house to have them submit is a pretty good idea though. kudos there.

not sure pwcc would do it considering their "certified high end" program. however, I do not know that as fact and basically speaking outta my @ss there.

but the auction house submittal is still brilliant nevertheless.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Once again, I'm not an SGC fan, but his best option for improvement with least possible expense, might be to try and bump the SGC grade.....Card quite possibly could be an SGC 98 with a little luck...
How do we know? We haven't seen the back or looked at the corners under a loupe. The card looks great from the front scan, but other than the guy who has it in hand, it's all speculation.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-03-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Chris

Irv, given the value of your Mantle, it would only cost you $85.00 to have PSA grade it, plus shipping both ways. Not sure the value on the Mays, but it should cost more than the Mantle to grade. You might even be able to squeeze it in at a lower price level.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 05-04-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Irv, given the value of your Mantle, it would only cost you $85.00 to have PSA grade it, plus shipping both ways. Not sure the value on the Mays, but it should cost more than the Mantle to grade. You might even be able to squeeze it I at a lower price level.
This sounds right. Declare the Mantle's value at 4,900 and the Mays at 1,900. Grading fees will be 85 and 40 plus shipping both ways. If those were my cards I would get them out of those cases right away and would sumbit them to PSA. Good luck either way.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

How does one go about getting the less informed grader, pay less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
yes to just about all.

more informed grader.
a hellavu lot faster service. usually same day.
notes as to what held it back.

the notion of sending it to an auction house to have them submit is a pretty good idea though. kudos there.

not sure pwcc would do it considering their "certified high end" program. however, I do not know that as fact and basically speaking outta my @ss there.

but the auction house submittal is still brilliant nevertheless.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Dave_Berg

Are submission sources NOT blinded to the grader? If no, please explain.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:46 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
How does one go about getting the less informed grader, pay less?
by sending subs to bccg or pro grading....
Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
by sending subs to bccg or pro grading....
This city is in California already, home of PSA. I think it might be where the less informed graders are...

and I should add, I have no issue with PSA and most of my valuable cards, in my current collection, are in PSA holders as that is how they came ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slab_City

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slab_City_Welcome.jpg (77.5 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-04-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Last edited by begsu1013; 08-22-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:17 AM
octavio ranzola

agree with pete
Old 05-04-2016, 04:58 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Irv, given the value of your Mantle, it would only cost you $85.00 to have PSA grade it, plus shipping both ways. Not sure the value on the Mays, but it should cost more than the Mantle to grade. You might even be able to squeeze it in at a lower price level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
This sounds right. Declare the Mantle's value at 4,900 and the Mays at 1,900. Grading fees will be 85 and 40 plus shipping both ways. If those were my cards I would get them out of those cases right away and would sumbit them to PSA. Good luck either way.
Thanks for the info guys.

Was hoping you'd all say my Mays would cost me $700 but that was wishful thinking!

I know the slabs are a bad idea, and when I originally read about them back in January when I joined this site, panic set in and I checked them.

Thankfully I didn't screw them down any tighter than I had too back then as when I unscrewed them, both cards slid easily inside them.
I also never laid them flat or on top of one another. They were stored on their sides only.

I am going to bite the bullet and likely get them slabbed soon, but in the mean time, I think I am still going to remove them and place in penny sleeves/top loaders or purchase some Pro Mold one screw vintage holders.

Thanks again for the input/replies.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
hadn't read the entire thread, but

here's a formula i tend to stick to:

1. submit in holder for a cross. be sure to designate a 9 as minimum grade.*
2. do not expect it to cross the first, second or third time.
3. after the 3rd strike, try a minimum grade of 8.5
4. repeat.
5. once/if it crosses submit for a bump a couple of times.

i would not advise cracking anything out of that magnitude.

have had several nice examples cross/bump using this formula.

it does carry some significant consideration in submittal fees, but the eventual landing of a 9 will most definitely recoupe any and all resources and then a whole lot more.

tell me how southern italy was and send some limoncello and a post card.

* this is very important. if you do not mark a 9 as minimum grade, they will crack it out and grade at whatever they seem fit. as long as you mark a 9 as the MG then your card will stay encapsulated in the sgc holder.

And people continue to pay for the grade? Evidence of an extremely flawed system if what you say actually works. Not to derail the thread on tpg bashing, but c'mon!