NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Mark

Default T206 Minor League subset...toughest cards?

So, I'm thinking of dabbling into T206, but to keep my sanity I might go sub-set first.

I'm thinking about doing the 134 Minor League Players. I know the Southern Leaguers are a challenge, but what other minor league players will prove to be the most expensive? Is this a reasonable quest to undertake

I'm perfectly fine with cards that are in P-G condition so I'm not looking for a PSA gallery and price listing. Just honest input as to which are the key minor league cards and what they might cost. I figure the four HOFer (Beckley, Collins, Kelley and McGinnity) will be on that list.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:57 PM
T0dd M@rcum

It's not that bad and a good place to start. I don't think there are as many remarkable posed in the minor league set, but there is a reasonable place to start.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:03 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I've sold every Hayden that I have had immediately. Not sure if he is tougher but everyone seems to need him.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:11 PM

Default Listing

Some popular minor leaguers that might cost more due to their popularity:

Gavvy Cravath
Luther Taylor

And some that seem to be perceived tougher (Partial list...I am sure there are a variety of other cards also thought to be tougher):

Adkins
Arndt
Dessau
Lundgren - KC
O'Neil
Thielman

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 05-06-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:14 PM
David Kathman

You're right that the four HOFers are going to be the most expensive of the non-Southern minor leaguers. The closest thing to a scarce card is Lundgren (Kansas City), which will cost you more than a common, but not as much as the scarcer variation, Lundgren (Chicago). Other non-Southern, non-HOF minor leaguers that are likely to cost you more than a common are a few guys that had significant major league careers but are not in the HOF (Gavvy Cravath, Dummy Taylor), Jack Dunn (because he discovered Babe Ruth), and Ambrose Puttman (for reasons I've never been clear on; maybe the fact that he played for Louisville makes people think he's a Southern Leaguer). But none of these will be too expensive, maybe twice the cost of a common at most, assuming you shop around.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:14 AM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
I've sold every Hayden that I have had immediately. Not sure if he is tougher but everyone seems to need him.
Lots of Cubs fans out there, and Jack featured for them down the stretch in 1908.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:38 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
So, I'm thinking of dabbling into T206, but to keep my sanity I might go sub-set first.

I'm thinking about doing the 134 Minor League Players. I know the Southern Leaguers are a challenge, but what other minor league players will prove to be the most expensive? Is this a reasonable quest to undertake

I'm perfectly fine with cards that are in P-G condition so I'm not looking for a PSA gallery and price listing. Just honest input as to which are the key minor league cards and what they might cost. I figure the four HOFer (Beckley, Collins, Kelley and McGinnity) will be on that list.
The HOF players for the minors are some of the cheapest in the set as far as HOF cards go.

Taking some of the cards that were mentioned above with my experience. (Usually don't spend more than $30 on a common).

Adkins is definitely a tough one I don't even own that card yet.
Ambrose Puttman is one that you may have to dig in your pocket a little more so than other minor leaguers.
Dessau has been said to be a little tough. Maybe I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time but I got a PSA 2 for about $30
Lundgren KC is sort of tough because his Cubs card is even tougher. Still don't own his card but one just ended in poor condition in the auction section for $18 the other day.
Theilman you just don't really see that often. Not sure why but the one time I saw one I pounced on it in the B/S/T section.

Also a note that you're including the SL players with the typical Minor League players as the typical minor league players there are only 86. SL players are a whole new ballgame and all of them will be far more expensive than the regular minor league players.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%

Last edited by Joshchisox08; 05-09-2016 at 05:28 AM.