NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Default Discussing auction results, yea or nay?

Posted By: martindl

I was going to post some observations and ask some questions re. some of the prices realized in Lew's auction that ended last night.

Out of courtesy to people who might have been the winning bidders and who might not want to see general discussions about their purchases, I thought I'd seek board input as to whether this is the type of topic we should discuss or not?

Old 04-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I don't see the problem with discussing results for lots in general, without mentioned 'who' won those cards, specifically.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 04-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The topic is fair game, and if the winning bidders want to reveal themselves, they will. Generally, after big auctions, there are always people looking to pick up bits of larger lots that they could not afford but had a few cards they wanted and will post here hoping that the winner is a net54 member.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

would be that the 133 card T206 EX or better lot in Lew's Auction went for more than I expected. I didn't bid on it but I did win the one thing that was of interest to me.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

First, I think discussion of prices is fine and very informative - although obviously keep any bidder/winner name private if you happen to know them.

I had a few on my watch list, and bid on a few. If I had to guess (just kind of swagging it for multiple card lots without trying to add it up card by card) at the lots I was watching, and kind of had a range in mind, every lot went for the very high end of my mental range. And in some cases higher. Nothing went for middle range (which would indicate the most accurate guess). And there were definitely no low end price surprises.

So either I am very conservative in estimating multiple card lots, or prices are stregthening so quickly I'm not keeping up.

I thought the 3 Cobb lot (#30) was maybe close. But the gouged out eye on one of them I thought was such a wild-card factor it was hard to tell value. Yep only one small blemish. But it's an eye gouged out.

Anyone think that REA coming up in the last day or so suppressed any prices? Think there were many that were planning big bidding at the end, and decided to save their money for REA?

Joann

Old 04-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Ok, Talk away!!! I do not see a problem with it since no one knows who won what??? If anything, it might be good info to know for the future.. Since I have been over paying this week I think I continued my form in Lew's auction...

My Ebay purchase
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8789313943&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6264531029&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Lew's purchase

http://www.oldjudge.com/auction/baseball/19th_century/75/

http://www.oldjudge.com/auction/baseball/postcards/203/

I'm ready to get blasted... It's all fun... JC

Old 04-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Everything I bought was way too expensive. Everything I passed on was way too cheap.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I doubt that the Mastro or REA auction impacted the Lipset auction much. People that are interested in those auction have money set aside for them already. If Lipset had some that was "must have" for a collector, he going to win that Lipset lot regardless of what is in other auctions.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Discussing auction results is always a welcome topic on the board. The only thing I wouldn't do here is provide names of other people that won lots in order to protect their privacy.

It's definately a normal occurance after a big auction for a thread titled "Mastro Results" or "Final Lipset Prices", etc... to show up. In these threads, individuals have always been welcome to show off their new acquisitions, lament over close losses or even to attempt to "network" a bit to find the winner of an item(s) they need. Really one of the very few times that buy/sell requests are permitted in the main forum is within these threads.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HandsAtNeck

I find it very insensitive to discuss sensitivity considerations in an open forum.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

The Wilson Franks set went for about 125-150% of what I consider retail.

Old 04-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dean H

I was surprised at the M116 lot with Wagner. A lot higher than what I expected. I can't beleive how the M116 Wagner is exploding. Or is there something about the Clarke card that I'm missing?

Dean

Old 04-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

JC - As you said in the post about the Naps schedule; you win some, you lose some. Given the breadth and depth of your collection, i know there has got to have been plenty a bargain that you got along the way too.

The Browns currency issue was one of the items i was going to comment on - I thought you got a great deal - there have been a few of these offered fairly recently, though not this particular one, and i expected to see it go for more.

A post recently was asking about the best venue for cards - Ebay or auction houses - the answer if you're a seller, would appear to be auction houses. The SGC 40(3) T205 Joss went for $1,300 - there have been a couple of PSA 4's that went for the high $600's on Ebay recently. I thought all of Lew's T205's brought strong prices.

The Van Oeyen photo lot went for more than i wanted to bid - doesn't mean anything, just that i didn't get it

The T202 set brought a very strong price i thought - hopefully its not a sign that people are now going to start considering this a popular issue.

The M116 Bates was a major surprise for me even though I know its a major rarity. Who goes after cards like these - the "collector of rarities" or the "collectors of M116's"?

Gil - I had to read your post twice before I got it. Too funny. Sensitive is rarely a moniker applied to much i'm involved with, so i'll take it as a compliment.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Maines

Sensitive is rarely a moniker applied to much i'm involved with either, so I certainly did not intend it as a criticism.

Gil

Old 04-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I was one of the bidders on the M116 Wagner and was (just a bit) surprised it went for that price. I really wanted that one, but when it cracked the $4K barrier (w/BP), it was all over for me. Unfortunately, this will set another precedent on pricing for this issue, indicative of the "new level of insanity." I think a graded, excellent version of this card sold in Mastro recently for at least $1K less than this one. I am not sure the Clarke card in the lot mattered much--at least it did not for me.
Congrats to the lucky bidder.