NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Dean

Default Mantle Question

I have an 1946 - 66 Exhibit Mickey Mantle post card in near perfect condition. Don't see a lot of complete listings on ebay for these, but a very odd range of prices, from just a few bucks to several hundred +.

Can anyone shed any light on this particular card? Seems it may be the second most desirable in the series. Has white outline around his sig, which seems to make some difference. Back is blank. Any idea of value?

Thanks.

my eBay auctions
Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 PM

Default 1947-66 Exhibits Mantle Batting

Dean,

You have a Mantle 1947-1966 Exhibits card with no pinstripes and white outlined name batting variety. I did a quick search on eBay - as you probably did - and found a wide range in prices. One of the issues with Exhibits - as in fact a number of other pre-war cards - is that a number of reprints were made, including the Mantle batting pose. Unless the cards being sold are either graded by a third party grader that is respected within the industry or seller includes back scans (see link on how to differentiate between originals & reprints) or other warranties to insure to possible sellers the card is an original, prices can vary significantly.

I have purchase several Exhibits, some of which turned out to be reprints. Reprints generally have a gray back. Following are a couple of links to some Exhibit reprint & general info articles from the archives:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=117276

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=118564

There are also a number of good posts by Adam W, Frank W and Scott M - all of whom collect Exhibits and know a lot more about the issues than I do. Nice card, but sorry I can't help you on price. It looks like you have a high quality card with sharp corners. Maybe Adam, Frank or Scott will chime in.

Zach Wheat
Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Dean

Zach, thank you for the reply and links. The depth of info here never ceases to amaze me. I had no idea just how big the answer to my question would be!

I think I have the cream colored backs. I have two cards, the Mantle in first post and a Mays. Here's a scan of the backs, fwiw:

I suppose I'll send the Mantle to PSA for a grade. I don't think the Mays is worth it even if it is authentic. I imagine after that fiasco they are more on top of their game relative to these cards.

Thanks again!

my eBay auctions
Old 08-15-2011, 07:58 PM
FredYoung

Default Dean---

I hate to say this, but it looks to me like you have reprints. The backs look more like the white stock fakes rather than the darker cream color and Mick looks too washed out to suit me.

The Mantle fits the one that was faked---Is your Mays batting?---That is the faked pose for him.

I hope one of the more expert Exhibit folk come along to help confirm or deny my opinion.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Dean

Fred, you may be right. My backs are certainly lighter than the backs posted of authentic cards. When I look at my backs I see "cream", but clearly they are not as dark.

My Mays is the batting pose, so that's a bad sign...

Thanks for your post.

my eBay auctions
Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 PM

Default Exhibit Mantle

I am certainly not an expert but I thought your backs look fine. The front of the card looks a little washed out, but maybe that is due to the scanner. The reprints I have in my possession all had dark gray backs. In addition, the front did not look as clear when compared side-by-side with an original.

The backs of yours look too off-white to be reprints. That is just my guess without comparing it side-by-side with an original. Buy one lot of them (make sure to get back scans to eliminate the obvious gray reprints) and then compare the cards with yours. It should be pretty obvious when you have some originals to compare it too.

Zach Wheat
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

The card in the top of this post is a modern reprint, The easiest way to tell in less than a second is the top of Mantles hat is missing. (Also the "Printed in USA" is missing from bottom). The whole image was cropped when they designed these reprints.
The back card stock color is another way to tell but not necessary with this reprint.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Patrick N.

Right on, those corners are way to sharp for an authentic exhibit...
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
The card in the top of this post is a modern reprint, The easiest way to tell in less than a second is the top of Mantles hat is missing. (Also the "Printed in USA" is missing from bottom). The whole image was cropped when they designed these reprints.
The back card stock color is another way to tell but not necessary with this reprint.
Thanks Frank. You just saved me some unnecessary grading fees! After you point it out it is so obvious when looking at the variety of these same cards on eBay with the hat not cropped.

Looks like my Mays is a knock off as well, which makes sense since I bought them at the same time from the same dealer sometime in the early 80s. Same deal; top of bat should not be cropped, and no Printed in USA at bottom.

Oh well, just glad I didn't sell them to someone as originals.

my eBay auctions
Old 08-21-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
Frank is of course right. Frank, The knowledge that you have demonstrated on numerous card issues never ceases to amaze me.